The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Made You A Canucks Fan?

Aladeen

When I was 18 my friends and I took a trip to St. Louis to see the Canucks play the Blues. One of my friends was a pretty serious Canucks fan and the other was a staunch St. Louis supporter. I was there to see the fights, having never really watched a game prior. I saw Burr score and keep the Nucks in it and a perfect Hank to Dank goal in overtime which left the place silent. That was pretty cool. When leaving the stadium a drunk fan harrased my friend in his Canucks jersey, saying "canucks suuuuuck!" I responded telling him calmly that they beat the Blues so what does that say about them? He challenged me to a fight, and being in front of my father and my youth pastor (Canucks fans pappy), I declined. But because I stood up for them they became my team. Go Canucks Go!

I have to say the Luongo signing was the main reason why i became a fan. Every team i cheered on before never addressed their goalie situation (colorado with aebisher, Tampa with whoever they had back then). I just can't stand a team that doesn't address their goalie situation. With Luongo signed long term (maybe a bit too long) I knew the cornerstone of the Canuck franchise was set.

And it looks like i was right.

A couple years back me and my family visited a friend of ours and when we were there she turned the Canuck game on (they were playing the Kings) Me and my siblings had never seen a hockey game but we were instantly glued to the screen! My Mum and Dad kept on saying that it was time to go home but we didn't want to leave!. My Mum and Dad finally made us leave as it was going into the 3rd, and we found out later that the Canucks lost.

Our friend said later that she had never seen anyone get glued to the screen like that before!

We found out were to stream Canuck games and our first full game we watched was against the Lighting when they retired Naslands jersey! Unfortunately they lost in OT.

I don't know what made us fall in love with the Canucks but I think is was because they were in BC and we live in BC and after I saw the Sedins Kesler Burrows and Luongo I just knew that this was my team!

I haven't and never will stop loving MY team!

GO CANUCKS GO :towel:

Roger Neilson's white towel waving, after the refs doing everything they could to hand the game to the hawks.

Jim Nill's OT winner

Tiger's OT winner vs the Flames

Tiger beating up on Willie Plett.

The Nananana song

Gradin jokes, about never shooting on a breakaway

Smyl fighing Mark Messier

Skriko shutting his eyes before he shot

Harold chant

Gino chant

Fearless Gus going to the net

Ronning kissing his stick before the faceoff

Mclean with "the save"

Linden with two goals in game 7

Bure OT winner

Gus OT winner

Mogilny in the last two minutes of a hockey game

Tuzzi in front of the net

Luongo trade.. finally a goalie

Luongo vs Turco

Bieksa stantion

Burrows OT vs Hawks, Bumblebee celebration.

Burrows OT vs Bruins

Whats next? :)

Fell in love with hockey playing it in elementary school and street hockey with kids in my neighbourhood. Favourite colour was orange as a kid so it was easy to like the early 90s Canucks jerseys. And growing up in Vancouver, who else could I route for?

I don't remember when I watched my first game or anything, but I remember Pavel Bure. He was simply electric. Then we had the run to the '94 finals. Where I grew to appreciate Linden and McLean. Before then, I idolized Bure, Lemieux and Gretzky. But due to that cup run, I became an unrelenting Nuck for life.

Geography.

Became a Canuck fan when we moved back to BC (Burnaby Summer 1973 after living in the Dominican Republic for 2 years.

My dad listened to the games on a radio and/or Hockey Night in Canada Saturday night!

Didn't "officially" become a fan until the 1974/75 season...

I kind of liked Montreal (Ken Dryden) but when the Habs knocked off the Canucks in the playoffs, my allegiance switched to the Canucks (yeah weird eh?)

That's why I say I've been a Canucks fan since 1975.

74-75VanCan.jpg

Roger Neilson's white towel waving, after the refs doing everything they could to hand the game to the hawks.

Jim Nill's OT winner

Tiger's OT winner vs the Flames

Tiger beating up on Willie Plett.

The Nananana song

Gradin jokes, about never shooting on a breakaway

Smyl fighing Mark Messier

Skriko shutting his eyes before he shot

Harold chant

Gino chant

Fearless Gus going to the net

Ronning kissing his stick before the faceoff

Mclean with "the save"

Linden with two goals in game 7

Bure OT winner

Gus OT winner

Mogilny in the last two minutes of a hockey game

Tuzzi in front of the net

Luongo trade.. finally a goalie

Luongo vs Turco

Bieksa stantion

Burrows OT vs Hawks, Bumblebee celebration.

Burrows OT vs Bruins

Whats next? :)

Excellent topic! I'm actually a relatively new Canucks fan. My dad and brother have always been huge fans, but I never cared much for hockey. I started paying more attention during the 2010 playoffs and found myself enjoying the game and liking the way the Canucks played. I started following them after that and have been a fan since. My love for them continues to grow. I like the way our team plays and we've got players who are great people on and off the ice. Doesn't hurt that I think we've got the best looking jerseys in the league, either :)

Our team makes hockey magical to me.

Well I live in Sioux Lookout, Ontario but the day I became a Canucks fan was the day we got Markus Naslund. Favorite player growing up and havent looked back ever since. Also Hansen is Danish and my old man is from Denmark so he was one of the first promonant Danish player in the NHL. Sweet thread, great stories out there, makes ya feel good inside.

Cheers and GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Thank you guys so much for sharing all these stories. I feel so blessed to be a fan of such an amazing team and to be lumped into a category of fans with you people! Its surreal to see how the losses of 94/2011 affected those of us who were around for both, I find this very interesting. The picture of Linden after the loss in 94 really reminds me of that interview they did with Kesler and he is crying and I am getting all choked up thinking about it, and then remembering how much it hurt in 94. I think i guess the major difference I forgot to mention before is in 94 even with the loss I felt pride, so much pride for my team but in 2011 with everything that had happened it just hurt, especially what happened after the loss.

I grew up on Vancouver Island so the 94 riot didn't affect me as much as it did this time since I actually live here now and I just couldn't help thinking when they were showing the pictures that it was bad enough my team lost but now they are burning my city. It felt so much worse you know and I still get really upset if people lump the rioters in with real Canuck fans. Sorry. I am getting all emotional.

Thank you guys so much for sharing all these stories. I feel so blessed to be a fan of such an amazing team and to be lumped into a category of fans with you people! Its surreal to see how the losses of 94/2011 affected those of us who were around for both, I find this very interesting. The picture of Linden after the loss in 94 really reminds me of that interview they did with Kesler and he is crying and I am getting all choked up thinking about it, and then remembering how much it hurt in 94. I think i guess the major difference I forgot to mention before is in 94 even with the loss I felt pride, so much pride for my team but in 2011 with everything that had happened it just hurt, especially what happened after the loss.

I grew up on Vancouver Island so the 94 riot didn't affect me as much as it did this time since I actually live here now and I just couldn't help thinking when they were showing the pictures that it was bad enough my team lost but now they are burning my city. It felt so much worse you know and I still get really upset if people lump the rioters in with real Canuck fans. Sorry. I am getting all emotional.

Archived