The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Made You A Canucks Fan?

Aladeen

linden when he came into league at 18 and had that heart followed by us snagging bure got me addicted to canucks still sad about layfettes post in 3rd period and moores dirty hit on naslund (4th line hack good riddence moore) If only canucks can put it together and win a friggin cup we need a change up loosing to bruins and kings is so frustrating.

I grew up a Seattle Thunderbirds fan. My dad took me to games way back when it was still the Seattle Colliseum. I had no real idea what was going on, but still had a great time. After a few seasons, we stopped going and the rest of life took over and I forgot about hockey. Sure, I watched every now and then during the Olympics, but it never really took hold.

Then the 2010 Olympics came along. Being from the Seattle area, naturally I cheered for the red, white and blue. But it was after the gold medal game that I sat back and thought about it....I wanted to follow a hockey team. Who should I follow? San Jose is too far away....LA sucks in general....Hmmm...Vancouver has a team! Immediately, I adopted the Canucks as my team and threw all my friends and coworkers for a loop.

After being crushed from the loss against Chicago and still not fully understanding some of the rules, I took all summer and studied the game to learn all the terms, rules, players' names, etc.

I'm proud to say I'm a Canucks fan down here in Seattle. If we get a team here, my allegiances will never change. I'm a Canucks fan until I die.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!! :towel::towel::towel:

I honestly think i became a fan because of the negativity/underdog factor. Year in and year out media and haters tell this team that they will never take home a cup. We hear things how the sedins aren't real hockey players, how luu is a terrible goalie, how kes is over rated, how burr is just a pest. Does any of this stop this team? Absolutely not. Being a 5'10 155 lbs lacrosse/hockey/rugby player I recieved plenty of doubt and criticism. I just look past it put my body on the line and play like a man possessed.

I embrace the hate

1994 I was 5 years of age and the youngest of two in an immigrant family my Dad was a strict man but when it came to Canucks games man did he let the rules go. My brother 8 years older than me who just started hockey pointed out to me the Russian Rocket, Captain Kirk, Gino, Linden, Quinn to me these names grabbed my attention but by the time the season was over and game 7 was said and done they were legends to me. Born and raised in vancouver but went to Uni in Pittsburgh and have been to Canucks games home and away using any of my savings just for a chance to see the boys play. I fell in love with the skate and stayed.

1994 I was 5 years of age and the youngest of two in an immigrant family my Dad was a strict man but when it came to Canucks games man did he let the rules go. My brother 8 years older than me who just started hockey pointed out to me the Russian Rocket, Captain Kirk, Gino, Linden, Quinn to me these names grabbed my attention but by the time the season was over and game 7 was said and done they were legends to me. Born and raised in vancouver but went to Uni in Pittsburgh and have been to Canucks games home and away using any of my savings just for a chance to see the boys play. I fell in love with the skate and stayed. I never once strayed from my allegiance to my team. Argued for Bure as one of the greats, argued against fans of other teams who had the argument well we got this many cups and stood by louwhen all the world was against him. I live in Germany now following my dream to be a pro soccer player but I am up all game nights till 4am just to watch the boys play. My dream job is to play soccer but my dream has always been to strap on the skates for the Nucks. I have been lucky to skate on what was then called GM place ice twice with my minor hockey team. God bless the Canucks and everyone on this forum we all share a special bond.

Watching Ed Jovanovski kicking Adam Deadmarsh's a** back in 2000 during my first game at GM Place. Considering that I live in Mexico and don't have the opportunity to travel as much as I would like to any city hosting and NHL team, that was a superb experience and, since then, I've been a Canucks' fan.

During that time I watched the Canucks play against Pittsburgh and the Maple Leafs, but that memory of Jovo's fight against Deadmarsh (Colorado) will always stick to my mind.

http://dropyourgloves.com/Fights/GameEvents.aspx?Game=9328

(Let's hope the link works)

I was a Habs fan. Very disappointed that Vancouver didn't get an NHL franchise (The California Seals - are you kidding). I remember riding home on my bicycle, the newspaper laying in the front carrier. Vancouver is in the NHL. Goodbye Habs. I'm a franchise fan, I was 17 years old at the time.

My first Hockey was the Summit series in '72 and I watched it at school (yes I had a great teacher). My Dad hated Hockey so I played a little when I was a kid and then watched My Nucks in 1982. Even though I knew they really didn't have a chance they were my team, and oh how I hated Billy Smith. What solidified my fandom was the 94 run. I watched alot before then but that was magic. I have alwasy said if I didn't watch anymore Hockey the Calgary series in 94 would have been enough. That was some amazing Hockey. Beating Toronto was the icing on the cake. I was in Vancouver for game 6 and the atmosphere was amazing. Watching Game 7 still makes me so angry and so sad. I disliked Messier when he was in Edmonton, and I hated him when he was in New York. He should not have been playing in Game 7, but I digress. Then next thing I knew he was a Canuck...yeah not my team then, and then they proceeded to trade away my Canucks. I felt like I was losing my favourite brother when they traded Linden and was so excited when they brought him home. For me by far the worst loss was 94. They were the Cinderella team and they should not have been playing in the finals if you listened to all the "hockey guys," but they were there and they played with everything they had. In 2011 they were expected to be there and it hurt like hell but nothing felt worse than 94. I lived and breathed that run. Thanks for this thread I don't comment often but these comments brought back some great memories :)

i became a fan when in the earlier days of the canucks , when u could get tickets and sit anywhere in the ol coliseum, i was 6 at my first canucks game sitting by the canuck bench , there was fights and hits and some goals , dennis kearns got in to a scrap , he bleeding above the eye and i am awe struck he sreves his five mins in box he comes back to the bench covered in blood he gets stiched at the bench so he is looking right at me , he winks at me and tosses me a stick been a fan ever since

Archived