247 replies to this topic

#31 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

Played a game between periods as a tyke. Did the Canucks breakfast with Linden, MacLean, Lidster etc. Had solid times with various Canuck players throughout my life at hockey camps, skill camps and training camps. Will never forget that.
Posted Image

#32 smithers joe

smithers joe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

I was born this way. Seriously.

with a cowbell for a hand
the canucks were playing in the pchl and then whl before getting an nhl team...i rooted back when andy bathgate and larry popein still played for canucks before they were called up to the parent club, the rangers....we used to gather around the radio on saturday nights nights and listen to foster hewitt calling the games....six team league was so great....rocket richard, gordie howe, tim horton and my idol, alex fats delvecchio....

#33 6of1_halfdozenofother

6of1_halfdozenofother

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

Many of the Canucks games weren't broadcast on TV when I first started following the Canucks. My dad listened to every game on the radio. Gotta love Jim Robson. First real memories of the Canucks, though, were in the Flying V era. Snepts and his 'stache. Tiger and his stick-riding. Gradin, Tanti, Vaive, Smyl, Rota, Hanlon, Brodeur - all names regularly coming over the airwaves during that time. I've probably forgotten a whole bunch of them; I was still a little kid back then.

Though I really started paying attention during the Linden-Bure-Odjick-Lumme-Courtnall-McLean era. Bure was electric, Linden was fantastic. Stopped following when they signed that goon Messier, followed again when Linden was traded back to the Canucks. Haven't really stopped since, although this year I came pretty damn close. As far as I'm concerned, though, this is a tainted season; any victory would still be an empty one.
People who label others as bandwagoners, people who tell other people "how" to cheer for their team, "how" they should act or what they should wear to "support" their team, people who only want to hear positive thoughts and don't want to read about how the team can do better - these are people who are insecure and uncomfortable within their own skin.

I'll support my team the way I choose, thank you very much. You can choose to support your team the way you want to, and I won't judge you on it as long as you don't try to force your beliefs on me. I'll also be quick to point out where I think the team can do better, because identifying that there is a problem is the first step to fixing it; denying or ignoring a problem won't solve anything.

Go Canucks Go.

#34 meh_wassup

meh_wassup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

I started watching them in the 06-07 season after Luongo became a Canuck and I remember how amazing he played that year. Later in the playoffs I was blown away by the excitement that you feel during a hockey game. Major reason for that was Luongo's play, he literally carried the team on his back through the first series and I remember staying up past midnight watching game 1 of the Stars series going to the 4th OT. But believe it or not I didn't become a die hard fan until Burrows scored that shorthanded goal against Carolina that turned the season around. That done it for me :towel:

Charlotte-McKinney-21-155x160.jpg

#35 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

Posted Image

Because I moved here...

Moved here in 1996 and then This ^^...

#36 Mad Cow Disease

Mad Cow Disease

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

I grew up here in the 'Couv and always saw Bure speeding past everyone scoring spectacular goals when I was really little. I tried to have him score every goal in NHL '98. When I became a more coherent human being it was the West Coast Express era and Markus Naslund was my hero because he was such an offensive force. Geography wasn't the only factor, we had some excellent players which caught my eye when I was young. I also like to represent where I'm from as a rule of thumb; why I support Arsenal in the EPL.

#37 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

Luongo made me a true Canucks fan.

Before Luongo came to Vancouver, I was just fascinated with the atmosphere around the Canucks, such as gathering with people to watch games, having conversations about Canucks with friends and classmates.

However, with Luongo in net, I began to cherish the organization and to be proud of the fact that I am a Canuck, that I am able to cheer for a team with the best goaltender, and two of the best wingers with best chemistry in the world.

I'm proud to be a Canuck even to this day. :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel:
Posted Image

#38 Burlinbert

Burlinbert

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

Posted Image

#39 kassian 09

kassian 09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

Ur mom. Jks nazzy did.

#40 TheTruthHurts

TheTruthHurts

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

I bandwagoned during the 10-11 run. Then when they lost....wait why am I still a Canucks fan?

#41 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,970 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

with a cowbell for a hand
the canucks were playing in the pchl and then whl before getting an nhl team...i rooted back when andy bathgate and larry popein still played for canucks before they were called up to the parent club, the rangers....we used to gather around the radio on saturday nights nights and listen to foster hewitt calling the games....six team league was so great....rocket richard, gordie howe, tim horton and my idol, alex fats delvecchio....

Love these stories of the past, Joe. I remember when we listened to Lions games the same way...we'd all be huddled (ha) in the kitchen with the radio on the counter on CKWX (if I recall correctly). To this day, my Dad still "watches" games with his eyes closed...a habit he never broke from the radio days. It's like he absorbs every play. Some great names you've thrown out there..

Posted Image

#42 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

Love these stories of the past, Joe. I remember when we listened to Lions games the same way...we'd all be huddled (ha) in the kitchen with the radio on the counter on CKWX (if I recall correctly). To this day, my Dad still "watches" games with his eyes closed...a habit he never broke from the radio days. It's like he absorbs every play. Some great names you've thrown out there..

I wish I can relive the past moments of the Canucks, especially the 70s, 80s, and the 94 Cup run.
Posted Image

#43 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,106 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

Geography

They were the home team so that's who I cheered for. The Canucks (the NHL version anyways) are only a year older than I am so I've been following them almost from the start.

Granted, growing up, my favourite player was Bobby Orr but my favourite team has always been the Canucks.
Posted Image

#44 Bieksa 3

Bieksa 3

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

When i was younger i lived in winnipeg and watched burr, kes, and some other canucks when they played with the manitoba moose and ive been a huge fan of the canucks ever since! GO CANUCKS GO!!!

#45 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,970 posts

That '94 cup run was something special....don't know if anyone here attended, but they had an appreciation type ceremony at BC Place after it was all over. Was a very cool thing to be a part of.

Posted Image

#46 canucksnhl

canucksnhl

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Meeting Markus Naslund

Edited by canucksnhl, 25 February 2013 - 06:47 AM.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#47 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,080 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

Liked the flying skate logo as a kid. So I wanted to follow them more than anyone else for some reason. I live in Ontario so I didn't get to watch many games. Then I became a hardcore fan once we started making the playoffs almost every year since I was able to watch a lot more games on TV. Then became a die hard fan once I was able to watch every game.

The more I watched, the more I liked them. :)

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#48 wendythirteenthrashers

wendythirteenthrashers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

moved here in 91....as a philly flyers fan [still am]........ then PAVEL BURE!!! and since ive lived in vancouver 22 years and counting i owe it to the city to be a fan...

#49 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

I live in portland.

My wife and I used to play world of warcraft and we made a good friend who lives in surrey.

He enticed me to watch a few games and I havent looked back. I think it was 07/08 might have been 8/9 *shrugs*
Posted Image

Portland Oregon: The first U.S. city to play for the Stanley Cup!

#50 canucks.rool

canucks.rool

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

I saw a bit of the Minnesota and Canucks series when I was young didn't care much. In grade 5 when the Canucks played the Stars and Ducks I started getting really hooked on watching the Canucks and the 2011 playoffs were really fun but sucks we lost. Now today I am a big Canucks fan.

#51 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Maxim Lapierre!!! I have always loved the style of Maxim Lapierre the Hometown Hero of MTL
http://assets.sbnati.../60725/amax.jpg

http://youtu.be/b2PUDzsk61w

Edited by 406281dylan, 22 February 2013 - 05:59 PM.

#52 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

That '94 cup run was something special....don't know if anyone here attended, but they had an appreciation type ceremony at BC Place after it was all over. Was a very cool thing to be a part of.

Thanks for the enlightenment. It's certainly pleasing to know the bright side of the finale of s Cup run final. I wish I were there to celebrate.
Posted Image

#53 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,354 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

I never went to the appreciation ceremony but I went to every home game for the '94 cup run and watched game 7 at the Pacific Coliseum. I cried after game 7 then watched the riots from the balcony of the hotel we were staying at downtown. :(
Posted Image

#54 CptCanuck16

CptCanuck16

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

Dad always watched HNIC on Saturday nights but I wasn't really that interested in watching pro hockey until 1993 or so. I remember originally liking the Leafs because my Mom was from Toronto and also the Montreal Canadians after they won the Cup that year.

Then the first round of 1994 playoffs happened. The Canucks came back from a 3-1 deficit against the Calgary Flames and Pavel Bure scored on a breakaway to win Game 7 in Overtime. I have been a die hard Canucks fan ever since. That year was so magical and had such a drastic impact on me. Talk about a true Cinderella story.

#55 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,110 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

The moment they joined the NHL I became a Canucks fans. Was a Bruins fan before that.
Posted Image

#56 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,970 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

That must have been amazing, to have been there (well, except the rioting). We had people over every game and flooded out into the streets afterward...everyone did in the entire neighbourhood. There were flags, honking, crying, celebrating...it was something special. It was so exciting....part of it was that they were a team of workhorses who just didn't have any quit in them. They were really accessible to the fans back then - I remember that year we attended a brunch with the team, open pratices, the Family Carnival, etc. It felt like watching family out there on the ice. My love of hockey really escalated during that period.

Posted Image

#57 AppleJack

AppleJack

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

I started watching hockey in 1993/1994 my mother had just got re-married and I bonded with my step dad while watching hockey. His favorite team (and my 2nd) is Detroit. I remember this one time I was really angry at him for some unknown reason and so I decided I was going to cheer against the Redwings and cheer for whoever they were playing. This happened to be Vancouver (who is also one of the teams he dislikes) I can't even remember who won that game and even if Van played good but by the end of that game I was a Canuck fan. I like to think that there was just something about the Canucks that captured my heart but I think it was mostly a way to 'act' out. I was rebelling against my step dad by liking a team he disliked and who his favorite team was playingI just never thought I would spend the rest of my life loving that team.

Posted Image
Do Not Trade TanevPosted Image

Thanks TS <3

formely known as Gillyfluffball

#58 BigBadBertz

BigBadBertz

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

1994 run and the heart of Trevor Linden! He eventually became my all time favorite player... even bough an official home Linden jersey of the 94 finals a few years back, cost me a mint, but totally worth it!!!

Linden, Bure, Mclean... just an amazing team!

Even though the team that lost to Boston were favotites and won the presidents trophy, doesn;t compare to the 1994 team, that was all heart, grit, and one hell of a game breaker!
QUOTE(vancitykid)
QUOTE(BigBadBertz)
WAR HAS BEEN DECLARED ON "captainmark" Join in the fun everybody!!!
HAHA *pokes captainmark in the eye*

#59 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,354 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

That must have been amazing, to have been there (well, except the rioting). We had people over every game and flooded out into the streets afterward...everyone did in the entire neighbourhood. There were flags, honking, crying, celebrating...it was something special. It was so exciting....part of it was that they were a team of workhorses who just didn't have any quit in them. They were really accessible to the fans back then - I remember that year we attended a brunch with the team, open pratices, the Family Carnival, etc. It felt like watching family out there on the ice. My love of hockey really escalated during that period.

After game 6 was the most amazing atmosphere in Vancouver!!!
Posted Image

#60 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

Well other than the fact the Canucks played their very first game on my birthdate (Oct 9th) 8 years before I was born...

P A V E L B U R E
Life is short, LIVE IT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.