247 replies to this topic

#61 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,723 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

I started watching hockey in 1993/1994 my mother had just got re-married and I bonded with my step dad while watching hockey. His favorite team (and my 2nd) is Detroit. I remember this one time I was really angry at him for some unknown reason and so I decided I was going to cheer against the Redwings and cheer for whoever they were playing. This happened to be Vancouver (who is also one of the teams he dislikes) I can't even remember who won that game and even if Van played good but by the end of that game I was a Canuck fan. I like to think that there was just something about the Canucks that captured my heart but I think it was mostly a way to 'act' out. I was rebelling against my step dad by liking a team he disliked and who his favorite team was playingI just never thought I would spend the rest of my life loving that team.

I love this story... Its so interesting the different ways we have all come to love this one team! :towel:
Posted Image

#62 susraiders

susraiders

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

Mainly geography. That and my dad watched them almost religiously. I didn't really start watching every game until about 06 or so. The moment I knew that I would never cheer for another team as much as I do for the Canucks was Daniel's between the legs goal against the flames. That cemented my love for eternity.

#63 AppleJack

AppleJack

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

I love this story... Its so interesting the different ways we have all come to love this one team! :towel:

Thanks. Its my dream one day to have enough money (and after my step father retires cause he works wonky shifts) to take my step dad to a Detroit/Vancouver game I don't think he's been to a Detroit game before and I think it would be a nice way to thank him for always being there for me and basically being my dad. When I was 16 I saved up all my babysitting money and gave it to my mom and she got two tickets to a Canucks/ Flyers game that I gave him for Christmas that year. I still remember that game. It ended in a 2-2 tie and I almost got into a fight with a flyers fan LOL. That was my very first Canucks game and even though I have seen four/five other games since its still one of my fondest memories.

I also love hearing how other fans came to love this team and why they stayed on as Canuck fans.

Edited by Gillyfluffball, 22 February 2013 - 07:21 PM.

m8itzp.jpg
Do Not Trade Tanevbjhfh0.jpg

Thanks TS <3

formely known as Gillyfluffball

#64 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

I live in Victoria and my dad is a Canucks fan so it was kind of a natural decision
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#65 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

When the Sedins moved from Modo to Vancouver...

#66 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,449 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

Canucks vs Minnesota back in 2003, back when I liked Matt Cooke.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#67 CoreyPerry

CoreyPerry

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

started out as a flyers fan, biggest Lindros fan, then canucks got Bure, started paying more attention to the canucks, then 94 cup run sealed the deal, was forever going to be a canucks fan from then on.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Credit to CanucksBen for Kassian sig

#68 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

I was a hockey fan before the Canuck's were even granted a franchise.

I remember being heartbroken when we lost the initial spin for draft position.

Dale Tallon was no Gilbert Perreault.

Edit... I forgot to say I was born in Vancouver.

Edited by hudson bay rules, 22 February 2013 - 07:52 PM.

I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#69 smithers joe

smithers joe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

i once said, give me a team full of stan smyl's and i'll give you a stanley cup....too bad so many fans never saw him play...stan left everything on the ice...yes, he is still my favorite canuck.

#70 Pavel_Bure 10

Pavel_Bure 10

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

Posted Image

#71 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,723 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Thanks. Its my dream one day to have enough money (and after my step father retires cause he works wonky shifts) to take my step dad to a Detroit/Vancouver game I don't think he's been to a Detroit game before and I think it would be a nice way to thank him for always being there for me and basically being my dad. When I was 16 I saved up all my babysitting money and gave it to my mom and she got two tickets to a Canucks/ Flyers game that I gave him for Christmas that year. I still remember that game. It ended in a 2-2 tie and I almost got into a fight with a flyers fan LOL. That was my very first Canucks game and even though I have seen four/five other games since its still one of my fondest memories.

I also love hearing how other fans came to love this team and why they stayed on as Canuck fans.

That's awesome... I bet you would've kicked that Flyer's fan's butt :towel:
Posted Image

#72 Rocket Robin

Rocket Robin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

I always liked the underdogs and and 35 years ago they were the dogs of the league with those cool flying v Jerseys what's not to love . I grew up in Thunder Bay Ont and now live in Winnipeg and u couldent pay me to go to a jets game once a nuck fan always a nucks fan love to see a cup soon its been a long ride 35 + year's as a hard core nucks fan let's win this dam thing I'm getting old and crankey lmfao :towel: :towel: :towel:

#73 Rocket Robin

Rocket Robin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

i once said, give me a team full of stan amyl's and i'll give you a stanley cup....too bad so many fans never saw him play...stan left everything on the ice...yes, he is still my favorite canuck.

hi Joe your right on I seen Stan play he was awesome power forward

#74 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

Smyl, Gradin, Tanti......living between Buffalo and Toronto the freaking media will drive you nuts with these teams.

#75 MikeyD

MikeyD

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

Games like Vancouver vs Nashville

Posted Image

#76 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

94 Riot.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#77 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,723 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

i once said, give me a team full of stan amyl's and i'll give you a stanley cup....too bad so many fans never saw him play...stan left everything on the ice...yes, he is still my favorite canuck.

Smyl was still playing when I started watching the Canucks but I don't think he was the player he once was. Though I still remember him being tough as nails.
Posted Image

#78 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

Smyl was still playing when I started watching the Canucks but I don't think he was the player he once was. Though I still remember him being tough as nails.

A bag of nails would be afraid of the Steamer
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#79 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

The '94 run, the first hockey game ever I remember watching is game one against the Flames.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#80 Cromeslab

Cromeslab

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

Grew up watching the Canucks with my Dad and brother,never looked back, been a fan as long as I can remember
Posted Image

"Where you've been is good and gone,all you can keep is the gettin there"Townes Van Zandt

#81 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,662 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

For me part of it was geography I guess, being born and raised on the island.

The main thing that made me a fan was watching the 1989 playoffs against the Flames with my Grandma and her best friend (who were both die-hard Canucks fans) at their apartment in Surrey. They explained to me the importance of those particular games which made it obviously more exciting, and after seeing those Canucks push the heavily favoured Flames to the very edge I was completely hooked.

After that my fanaticism escalated as the team rose into a contender with all those great players we gained afterward like Bure, Ronning, Courtnall, etc.. 1994 was the peak for me and I was devastated when we lost the cup but I was so proud of our guys who left everything they had, and then some, on the ice. I've been a huge fan since then.

#82 Fuzzysheep

Fuzzysheep

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

The first game of hockey I ever watched was the last Olympic ice hockey final, it was shown on telly over here in England. I'd enjoyed the winter Olympics but hadn't caught a hockey game but was at a loose end so watched it. Even though I didn't fully understand everything I was hooked after ten minutes and it was Luongo's performance that, once I'd decided I was a hockey fan, decided I would be a Van fan.

tldr?
Odds are that ^ was sarcasm

#83 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,680 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

My dad loves the Canucks, so he made me a fan.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#84 Nashi

Nashi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,921 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

NHL 2004 for the PS2 weirdly, living in NY I never really got into the Rangers and just started playing as the Canucks in that game.

canucks141.png

#85 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

Thread of the year, Aladeen.

I moved to Vancouver from Winnipeg in 1989 for my first job out of University...was a diehard Jets and hardcore hockey fan at that time, but the company I worked for had a skybox at Pacific Coliseum, so I got to see 20+ games in the 1989-1990 season. That started me on the road to being a Canucks fan. Then the 1994 Cup run happened, and that's when I became a true Canucks fan. I had the good fortune of getting to a bunch of games from 1989 to 1997, which cemented my loyalties to the Canucks. I moved back to the west coast in 2005, and my allegiance to the Canucks has continued on.

I was just curious to see what made everyone here a Canucks fan.

I think that for most it will be geography.

For myself, my father was an immigrant that loved hockey, so we would watch it together all the time. I actually loved the Orange and Yellow of the old flying skate Jerseys and as a kid, this is what I based my favorite team on was their jerseys.

I grew up back east in TO and I was the only one I knew that wasn't a Leaf or a Canadiens fan. I guess maybe part of me wanted to be different.

Now that I live on the west coast it is even easier to follow them and be a fan of these guys.

Forever a Canuck! :towel:

Why are you a fan of the Canucks?

Edited by disisdayear, 22 February 2013 - 11:22 PM.

#86 Salmon Arm Canuck

Salmon Arm Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

Ok...now I'm dating myself here.....I remember the all-rookie line of Stan Smyl, Thomas Gradin and Curt Fraser battling grizzled veterans on the Canucks like "Shaky" Mike Walton and Rick Blight for first line status...I loved Smyl's drive and work ethic, Gradin's talent and Fraser's fists. I was hooked from there on in.

#87 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,590 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

Good thread! For me, it all started with Markus Naslund and Todd Bertuzzi right at the turn of the century. Though I became a legit fan during those days, I became fully diehard thanks to Luongo.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#88 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

I complain and cry about refs.
I throw players under the bus after a loss,then worship them after a win
I enjoy vandalizing
I think CBC and TSN are out to get me

I generally overreact in every situation

So the choice was obvious

GCG
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#89 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

Was the '82 playoff run that got me hooked. Figured the team was really good and exciting. Cheering for them would be fun as they were awesome. Little did I know what the coming decade would bring.

I recall one game in particular in 90-91. Canucks were in Edmonton leading 2-1 in the 2nd. They were killing a penalty when Jay Mazur (anyone remember him?) picked off a pass and turned the other way with Igor Larionov. He passed to Igor who crossed the Oiler blue line, he then sent a perfect pass over to Mazer who roofed it. 3-1 good guys, good times.

Then came the 3rd period. The Oilers completely dominated our squad. They beat us up on the scoreboard and beat us up physically. The final was 6-3 Edmonton. I was having a conniption fit when my sister walked into the room. She looked at me, then looked at the tv and asked me "why do you cheer for those losers?". I didn't have a ready answer and she left the room.

I sat there thinking "why do I cheer for these losers?". The answer was, because one day it's going to get better. And having sat through all this crap will make it all that much sweeter when it does happen. We haven't got there yet, but I am a patient man.

:canucks: :towel:

Edited by nuckin_futz, 22 February 2013 - 10:00 PM.

#90 PLOGUE

PLOGUE

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

I was born a Canucks fan. My first memory is of watching the Canucks on tv with my dad. Watching the steamer, tiger, snepts, gradin. Not ever the most talented team but damn our team used to have so much heart. The 82 nucks had tons of character. Just always loved the team and always will.
QUOTE (ephysdad @ Oct 26 2008, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or then of course there's always the Ferry

Also,
I'm putting together a list of the criteria to be a "real" Canuck's fan. So far I have this:

1. I cheer for the Canucks, whatever happens.
2. I never say anything bad about the Canucks.
3. I know the difference between "real" fans and posers just by how they post on the CDC or where they sit at GM Place.
4. I wouldn't dream of leaving a game before it ended, even if it meant missing a train, ferry or a threesome with the wife and her hot best friend?
5. I make 10+ posts a day and I have over 10,000 posts on the CDC, so my Canuck "street-cred" is huge. Go away noob!
6. No one F's with me. I train in MMA. I'm really tough. I'll curb stomp yo' donkey.
7. I make a tonne of $$$$.
8. I'm witty.
9. If it meant missing a game, I wouldn't study for a midterm.
10. I roll with a guy who has a wicked car.
11. I like to post "source?" a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.