The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Made You A Canucks Fan?

Aladeen

Thanks. Its my dream one day to have enough money (and after my step father retires cause he works wonky shifts) to take my step dad to a Detroit/Vancouver game I don't think he's been to a Detroit game before and I think it would be a nice way to thank him for always being there for me and basically being my dad. When I was 16 I saved up all my babysitting money and gave it to my mom and she got two tickets to a Canucks/ Flyers game that I gave him for Christmas that year. I still remember that game. It ended in a 2-2 tie and I almost got into a fight with a flyers fan LOL. That was my very first Canucks game and even though I have seen four/five other games since its still one of my fondest memories.

I also love hearing how other fans came to love this team and why they stayed on as Canuck fans.

I always liked the underdogs and and 35 years ago they were the dogs of the league with those cool flying v Jerseys what's not to love . I grew up in Thunder Bay Ont and now live in Winnipeg and u couldent pay me to go to a jets game once a nuck fan always a nucks fan love to see a cup soon its been a long ride 35 + year's as a hard core nucks fan let's win this dam thing I'm getting old and crankey lmfao :towel::towel::towel:

For me part of it was geography I guess, being born and raised on the island.

The main thing that made me a fan was watching the 1989 playoffs against the Flames with my Grandma and her best friend (who were both die-hard Canucks fans) at their apartment in Surrey. They explained to me the importance of those particular games which made it obviously more exciting, and after seeing those Canucks push the heavily favoured Flames to the very edge I was completely hooked.

After that my fanaticism escalated as the team rose into a contender with all those great players we gained afterward like Bure, Ronning, Courtnall, etc.. 1994 was the peak for me and I was devastated when we lost the cup but I was so proud of our guys who left everything they had, and then some, on the ice. I've been a huge fan since then.

The first game of hockey I ever watched was the last Olympic ice hockey final, it was shown on telly over here in England. I'd enjoyed the winter Olympics but hadn't caught a hockey game but was at a loose end so watched it. Even though I didn't fully understand everything I was hooked after ten minutes and it was Luongo's performance that, once I'd decided I was a hockey fan, decided I would be a Van fan.

tldr?

Archived