#121 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

Love to read these stories. ^_^
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#122 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,387 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

Pavel Bure. I was a kid growing up on Queen Charlotte Island (Haida Gwaii). We lived on a remote island an we couldn't get cable TV, so I would listen to CKNW with Tom and Shorty and then the post game show with Don Taylor. Radio reception was horrible where I lived, so I would often have to stand next to the radio, holding the antenna so that I could get signal. The excitement in Shorthouse and Larscheid's voices when Bure touched the puck was enough to make me a fan.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#123 Roflcawptur

Roflcawptur

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

When I was 18 my friends and I took a trip to St. Louis to see the Canucks play the Blues. One of my friends was a pretty serious Canucks fan and the other was a staunch St. Louis supporter. I was there to see the fights, having never really watched a game prior. I saw Burr score and keep the Nucks in it and a perfect Hank to Dank goal in overtime which left the place silent. That was pretty cool. When leaving the stadium a drunk fan harrased my friend in his Canucks jersey, saying "canucks suuuuuck!" I responded telling him calmly that they beat the Blues so what does that say about them? He challenged me to a fight, and being in front of my father and my youth pastor (Canucks fans pappy), I declined. But because I stood up for them they became my team. Go Canucks Go!

:canucks: Proud Canuck from Kansas City :canucks:

Bieksa.png

#124 jatylo

jatylo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

I have to say the Luongo signing was the main reason why i became a fan. Every team i cheered on before never addressed their goalie situation (colorado with aebisher, Tampa with whoever they had back then). I just can't stand a team that doesn't address their goalie situation. With Luongo signed long term (maybe a bit too long) I knew the cornerstone of the Canuck franchise was set.

And it looks like i was right.

#125 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

...The excitement in Shorthouse and Larscheid's voices when Bure touched the puck was enough to make me a fan.

That still does wonders, to listen to old clips and hearing the excitement it brought to everyone when he touched the puck. It almost makes me more of a fan every time I do a trip down memory lane and look up old clips on youtube.
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#126 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

That still does wonders, to listen to old clips and hearing the excitement it brought to everyone when he touched the puck. It almost makes me more of a fan every time I do a trip down memory lane and look up old clips on youtube.

I'll never forget the very first time I saw him touch the puck. I dunno what game it was but my dad and I were just blown away at the explosive speed he had. And combine that with the softest hands you'd ever seen. Pure awesomeness!
Posted Image

#127 Canucks-Star #17

Canucks-Star #17

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

A couple years back me and my family visited a friend of ours and when we were there she turned the Canuck game on (they were playing the Kings) Me and my siblings had never seen a hockey game but we were instantly glued to the screen! My Mum and Dad kept on saying that it was time to go home but we didn't want to leave!. My Mum and Dad finally made us leave as it was going into the 3rd, and we found out later that the Canucks lost.

Our friend said later that she had never seen anyone get glued to the screen like that before!

We found out were to stream Canuck games and our first full game we watched was against the Lighting when they retired Naslands jersey! Unfortunately they lost in OT.

I don't know what made us fall in love with the Canucks but I think is was because they were in BC and we live in BC and after I saw the Sedins Kesler Burrows and Luongo I just knew that this was my team!

I haven't and never will stop loving MY team!
GO CANUCKS GO :towel:

#128 ButcherG

ButcherG

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

Roger Neilson's white towel waving, after the refs doing everything they could to hand the game to the hawks.

Jim Nill's OT winner

Tiger's OT winner vs the Flames

Tiger beating up on Willie Plett.

The Nananana song

Gradin jokes, about never shooting on a breakaway

Smyl fighing Mark Messier

Skriko shutting his eyes before he shot

Harold chant

Gino chant

Fearless Gus going to the net

Ronning kissing his stick before the faceoff

Mclean with "the save"

Linden with two goals in game 7

Bure OT winner

Gus OT winner

Mogilny in the last two minutes of a hockey game

Tuzzi in front of the net

Luongo trade.. finally a goalie

Luongo vs Turco

Bieksa stantion

Burrows OT vs Hawks, Bumblebee celebration.

Burrows OT vs Bruins

Whats next? :)
One who asks a question is a fool for a few minutes, one who doesn't is a fool for life. Confucius.

#129 Jingling

Jingling

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Fell in love with hockey playing it in elementary school and street hockey with kids in my neighbourhood. Favourite colour was orange as a kid so it was easy to like the early 90s Canucks jerseys. And growing up in Vancouver, who else could I route for?

I don't remember when I watched my first game or anything, but I remember Pavel Bure. He was simply electric. Then we had the run to the '94 finals. Where I grew to appreciate Linden and McLean. Before then, I idolized Bure, Lemieux and Gretzky. But due to that cup run, I became an unrelenting Nuck for life.

#130 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Finding out Trevor Linden was my fathers first client!

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#131 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,379 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Geography.

Became a Canuck fan when we moved back to BC (Burnaby Summer 1973 after living in the Dominican Republic for 2 years.
My dad listened to the games on a radio and/or Hockey Night in Canada Saturday night!

Didn't "officially" become a fan until the 1974/75 season...
I kind of liked Montreal (Ken Dryden) but when the Habs knocked off the Canucks in the playoffs, my allegiance switched to the Canucks (yeah weird eh?)

That's why I say I've been a Canucks fan since 1975.

Posted Image

damn, that photo is great

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#132 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

The West Coast Express!
Posted Image

#133 Vancity87

Vancity87

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

Sig too big.

#134 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

Roger Neilson's white towel waving, after the refs doing everything they could to hand the game to the hawks.

Jim Nill's OT winner

Tiger's OT winner vs the Flames

Tiger beating up on Willie Plett.

The Nananana song

Gradin jokes, about never shooting on a breakaway

Smyl fighing Mark Messier

Skriko shutting his eyes before he shot

Harold chant

Gino chant

Fearless Gus going to the net

Ronning kissing his stick before the faceoff

Mclean with "the save"

Linden with two goals in game 7

Bure OT winner

Gus OT winner

Mogilny in the last two minutes of a hockey game

Tuzzi in front of the net

Luongo trade.. finally a goalie

Luongo vs Turco

Bieksa stantion

Burrows OT vs Hawks, Bumblebee celebration.

Burrows OT vs Bruins

Whats next? :)

wow I love it :) the cliff notes version of the Canucks in a post :towel: :towel: :canucks: :towel: :towel:

:canucks:

:towel:

:towel:
Posted Image

#135 Canucksftw0205

Canucksftw0205

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

Excellent topic! I'm actually a relatively new Canucks fan. My dad and brother have always been huge fans, but I never cared much for hockey. I started paying more attention during the 2010 playoffs and found myself enjoying the game and liking the way the Canucks played. I started following them after that and have been a fan since. My love for them continues to grow. I like the way our team plays and we've got players who are great people on and off the ice. Doesn't hurt that I think we've got the best looking jerseys in the league, either :)

Our team makes hockey magical to me.
Respect your Edler! Posted Image

#136 TigerWilliamsJr

TigerWilliamsJr

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Well I live in Sioux Lookout, Ontario but the day I became a Canucks fan was the day we got Markus Naslund. Favorite player growing up and havent looked back ever since. Also Hansen is Danish and my old man is from Denmark so he was one of the first promonant Danish player in the NHL. Sweet thread, great stories out there, makes ya feel good inside.

Cheers and GO CANUCKS GO!!!

#137 Beluga Whale

Beluga Whale

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

Born in Vancouver and just grew up watching the Canucks. I really got into it during the 2004 playoffs.
Posted Image
Prestige Worldwide - GM of the Boston Bruins Posted Image

#138 NuckleheadFan

NuckleheadFan

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

The '82 season and the cup run...the team was never expected to be in the SCF, but with a lot of heart compensating for lack of skill and size, team work, King Richard...and a little luck...it was great! The Cardiac Kids!

#139 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

damn, that photo is great

We must be around the same age, GLASSJAW.

This is exactly the time where I became a "real" fan. My favorite player was Bobby Lalonde. Harold Snepsts was a rookie and "Suitcase Smith" was the Canuck's goalie. When we played street hockey on West 38th Ave. and Blenheim St., I was always Bobby Lalonde when I played out and Smith when I played goal. I mostly played with my best friends of that time, Steve (Don Lever) and Andy (Gregg Boddy) King. I really miss those guys! I loved Bobby Clarke and the rest of the "Broad Street Bullies", too. Still do!

I was aware of the Canucks before this, though, because my Uncle Vic played for the Canucks in the PCHL from 49-50 through 51-52. I still have a bunch of clippings and photos of his days as a Canuck. Vic was a solid 2-way defender who scored about 20 points per season and who liked to drop the gloves, on occasion. The best years of his carer were with Vancouver.

Man, I love the Canucks. It takes a thread like this, every once in a while, to make you sit and think about the wonderful details that make us all Canucks!

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#140 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

I became a fan after watching the West Coast Express play...but what got me really into the Canucks was Luongo's spectacular play when he first arrived in Vancouver

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#141 AppleJack

AppleJack

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

Thank you guys so much for sharing all these stories. I feel so blessed to be a fan of such an amazing team and to be lumped into a category of fans with you people! Its surreal to see how the losses of 94/2011 affected those of us who were around for both, I find this very interesting. The picture of Linden after the loss in 94 really reminds me of that interview they did with Kesler and he is crying and I am getting all choked up thinking about it, and then remembering how much it hurt in 94. I think i guess the major difference I forgot to mention before is in 94 even with the loss I felt pride, so much pride for my team but in 2011 with everything that had happened it just hurt, especially what happened after the loss.

I grew up on Vancouver Island so the 94 riot didn't affect me as much as it did this time since I actually live here now and I just couldn't help thinking when they were showing the pictures that it was bad enough my team lost but now they are burning my city. It felt so much worse you know and I still get really upset if people lump the rioters in with real Canuck fans. Sorry. I am getting all emotional.

Posted Image
Do Not Trade TanevPosted Image

Thanks TS <3

formely known as Gillyfluffball

#142 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

Thank you guys so much for sharing all these stories. I feel so blessed to be a fan of such an amazing team and to be lumped into a category of fans with you people! Its surreal to see how the losses of 94/2011 affected those of us who were around for both, I find this very interesting. The picture of Linden after the loss in 94 really reminds me of that interview they did with Kesler and he is crying and I am getting all choked up thinking about it, and then remembering how much it hurt in 94. I think i guess the major difference I forgot to mention before is in 94 even with the loss I felt pride, so much pride for my team but in 2011 with everything that had happened it just hurt, especially what happened after the loss.

I grew up on Vancouver Island so the 94 riot didn't affect me as much as it did this time since I actually live here now and I just couldn't help thinking when they were showing the pictures that it was bad enough my team lost but now they are burning my city. It felt so much worse you know and I still get really upset if people lump the rioters in with real Canuck fans. Sorry. I am getting all emotional.

Emotional connection to your team and city is what makes a true fan ;)
Posted Image

#143 AppleJack

AppleJack

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

Emotional connection to your team and city is what makes a true fan ;)

It kind of makes me wish I grew up in Vancouver instead of the Island. I just can't help but think how amazing it would have been to live in Vancouver when Bure, and Linden, and and my teenage canuck crush....Peca ::D (seriously I cried when they traded him but I was like 14/15/16? ) were all playing here.

I love walking around the city in my Canuck jersey/canuck stuff and seeing another fan on the street or Sky train and just nodding at them or waving or sometimes just a tiny smile. Its such an amazing feeling to know even though this person on the street is a total stranger that we are still united in a way.

Posted Image

Thanks TS <3

#144 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

It kind of makes me wish I grew up in Vancouver instead of the Island. I just can't help but think how amazing it would have been to live in Vancouver when Bure, and Linden, and and my teenage canuck crush....Peca ::D (seriously I cried when they traded him but I was like 14/15/16? ) were all playing here.

I love walking around the city in my Canuck jersey/canuck stuff and seeing another fan on the street or Sky train and just nodding at them or waving or sometimes just a tiny smile. Its such an amazing feeling to know even though this person on the street is a total stranger that we are still united in a way.

Can't say I ever had a Crush on any Canuck, but when I heard Linden was traded my heart sank into my stomach and I felt a lump in my throat for the day.

Also I feel the Canucks are not just Vancouver's but all of BC :0) I like to think the reason they aren't British Columbia Canucks is because it wouldn't fit on the Jersey ;)... especially cause I live in Vic :P

Edited by Aladeen, 23 February 2013 - 11:44 PM.

Posted Image

#145 AppleJack

AppleJack

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

Can't say I ever had a Crush on any Canuck, but when I heard Linden was traded my heart sank into my stomach and I felt a lump in my throat for the day.

Also I feel the Canucks are not just Vancouver's but all of BC :0) I like to think the reason they aren't British Columbia Canucks is because it wouldn't fit on the Jersey ;)... especially cause I live in Vic :P

Well I was a teenage girl so.....

One of the happiest days of my Canuck loving life was when we got Linden back. I kind of regret the fact that my Skate jersey has Peca on it instead of Linden. I considered getting it changed but then I thought that it made for more interesting conversation to just leave my old jersey the way it is plus regardless of the reason I started to like him Peca was a good player.

Yes I agree but I find that I don't see as many canuck fans on the island as you do here.

Posted Image

Thanks TS <3

#146 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

Well I was a teenage girl so.....

One of the happiest days of my Canuck loving life was when we got Linden back. I kind of regret the fact that my Skate jersey has Peca on it instead of Linden. I considered getting it changed but then I thought that it made for more interesting conversation to just leave my old jersey the way it is plus regardless of the reason I started to like him Peca was a good player.

Yes I agree but I find that I don't see as many canuck fans on the island as you do here.

November 10th 2001 Linden comes back home. What was great for us is, we had ticket to see the Canucks in Ottawa on the Nov 20th. Not only did we get to see him play in one of his first games back but we also met him after the morning skate in the parking lot. Commented on our 1990 wihte skate logo jersey with his name on it about how old that one was. Took pictures with us and signed his jersey, it was awesome.

#147 FelixPotvin29

FelixPotvin29

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

As a young kid I was a big Penguins fan seeing Lemieux Jagr and Francis killing the league. Starting to watch Leaf games and Felix Potvin really impressed me. Always liked him in Vancouver even though he played like crap. Lemieux retired, jagr stopped producing big points and didn't have a team to cheer for so Vancouver it was.

#148 Helmer

Helmer

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

Simply: the 94 cup final was on (european free) tv for the first time. I was a big fan of the Russian Rocket. He was clearly the best player on the ice.

Also the Vancouver crowd was enthusiastic: remember the fan jumped over the glass and on the ice after game 6? Never seen that again at hockey game...

Attached File  Fan on ice.jpg   27.58KB   7 downloads

Go Canucks Go...from Berlin

Edited by Helmer, 24 February 2013 - 11:08 AM.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Berlin Polar Bears for NHL Europe Division

#149 OrdinaryBoy

OrdinaryBoy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

I did a school project in Grade Four on the goaltender I firmly believed was one of the best in the league: Johan Hedberg.
I was intially a fan of his name, and then it grew to a healthy obsession with everything Hedberg. Darn Alex Auld, stealing Johan's starts...

I was a fan since the playoff series against the St.Louis Blues, and I don't know why.

#150 Felix Potvin

Felix Potvin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

Grew up watching the maple laughs and was always a Potvin fan so when he left the leafs I jumped ship to Vancouver and now I am a huge fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.