The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trading for Veterans w/o trading a netminder

Zoolander

After seeing how well the 2-goalie system has worked for us this year, Gillis might be wise but keep both goalies for this playoff run. If both share the workload, the pressure won't be nearly as high and we always have a back-up who we can trust if one falters.

However,

That doesn't mean Gillis shouldn't go out and improve this team at the deadline because we do have some holes on our team, most notably on the 2nd line.

The one thing people seem to agree on is that this team needs one more steady, point-producer to play along-side Kesler.

However, most of the proposals/ ideas mentioned all involve trading away one of our goalies for that stud, top 6 forward because that player has a very high trade value most likely because the forward is:

-young/in his prime

-On an ELC contract but has high upside

-Very valuable to his team, and plays his role well

Some teams are in different positions though....

Ottawa- Has a 40 year old captain who wants to win a cup and has gone on record to say he really admires the Sedin's skill and style of play

Dallas- Acquired rent-a-players Jagr and Whitney to try and win a cup, but are right now out of the playoff picture.

Detroit- After so many years of dominance, their age is starting to catch up with them. Young blood as well as defence could prove useful.

All of these teams have aging players who want to win now. If any of these teams are interested in getting younger, or are out of the playoff race at the trade deadline, a trade for one of their veterans could be very helpful. These veterans include

DANIEL ALFREDSSON: 40 years old, great leadership skills, and long time captain. A UFA after this season and will probably retire after this season or next. Ottawa could consider getting something for him before losing him to retirement.

JAROMIR JAGR: 41 years old, and absolute hulk, and great and playing the cycle game because of his size. He has proven again, and again that he can steadily contribute. Also a UFA at the end of this season.

JOHAN FRANZEN: 33 years old, signed LONG TERM @ approx. $$4 Million/year. Also plays the cycle game well, and is a great net-presence.

These 3 players, although old (not really, in Franzen's case) could be very useful top 6 players for us. All are/ have been leaders on their teams and would NOT CAUSE US TO OVERPAY OR TRADE A GOALIE

Although we would likely only have these players for this year's playoff run, they are consistent and would give us an extra scoring threat.

AND IF THEY DON'T CHOOSE TO RE-SIGN/ RETIRE in the off-season, then we still have our goalies whom we can trade for replace these veterans, or possibly trade a goalie for picks and move up in the draft.

The proposals to get these players would vary but because they are aging, and 2 of the are UFA's while the other is signed LONG-TERM, the package wouldn't be nearly as expensive/ detrimental to the team as trading a goalie for a younger player would be.

What could be included in the deal:

-A somewhat note worthy/ young forward (Booth/Raymond)

-A draft pick (2nd rd or lower)

-a non blue-chip prospect

These 3 things make either Detroit, Dallas, or Ottawa much younger, and fill a hole that their veteran would leave in their top 6

I think our biggest need is a right-handed partner for Edler, not a forward. We have top-nine depth up the Wazoo. Unless we're going for a CLEAR upgrade, then some combination of Raymond, Booth, Higgins, Kassian, Burrows, Hansen on the wings should be adequate.

I think the blueline is a more pressing need, as is team defense in general.

Essentially, any player that is set to become a UFA in the summer, and is currently on a team that doesn't look like making the playoffs should be acquirable in exchange for some mid level draft picks.

At present, these are the teams that look like they won't make it to the postseason:

Jets, Islanders, Panthers, Capitals, Sabres; Edmonton, Calgary, Colorado, Columbus.

I'd be surprised if anyone in out own division was all that interested in helping us out, so scratch them. There may be teams like Detroit in that situation a month from now, but let's not bank on that just yet.

That leaves us with the following players available (the good ones are bolded, and in italics if we can afford them):

Jets - Antropov, Wellwood, Miettinen, Hainsey, Clitsome, Montoya.

Isles - Reasoner, Boyes, McDonald, Aucoin, Boulton, Visnovsky, Streit, Martinek, Thomas, Nabokov

Panthers - Weiss, Kovalev, Smithson, Strachan, Theodore

Caps - Ribeiro, Crabb, Hendricks, Wolski, Fehr, Hamrlik, Poti, Erskine, Hillen

Sabres - Hecht, Scott, Regehr, Leopold, Sulzer

Blue Jackets - Prospal, Letestu, Aucoin

Not a lot there. What we need is a big body for the 4th line, preferably a C (maybe both) as well as a right handed D.

I think our biggest need is a right-handed partner for Edler, not a forward. We have top-nine depth up the Wazoo. Unless we're going for a CLEAR upgrade, then some combination of Raymond, Booth, Higgins, Kassian, Burrows, Hansen on the wings should be adequate.

I think the blueline is a more pressing need, as is team defense in general.

While I agree we need more RH D-men, I really don't think that's a massive concern. If we really needed one, we could flip Booth to Pittsburg for a guy like Despres or another good young D-man. Booth could be like Neal I bet playing with Crosby.

But I do think any one of the 3 players I mentioned would be a serious upgrade to our top 6, and Jagr would be especially easy to obtain I think if Dallas isn't in the playoff picture because that's the only reason they acquired him.

Jagr would be like Mats Sundin for Kesler except harder to knock off the puck. He still has the skill to be a 60pt player along side guys like Kesler or the Twins

Actually I got some cool statistics about age related players in my CANUCKS FUN STATISTICS thread.

/topic/339733-canucks-fun-statistics/">http://forum.canucks.com/topic/339733-canucks-fun-statistics/

Like for instance that our older players are by far our biggest producers, but our youngest players are getting 4x the bang for the buck. It seems to me that from a statistical stand point that the best team is loaded with as many veterens you can get, and then fill in holes with young talent. You can of course develop your young talent and work on the long game, but if you want a cup, you want old geezers on the ice.

I'd definitely try for Jagr; he could be for this team what Cory Stillman was for the Canes when they won their championship and more. Sure, their guys were good but they just needed a secondary scorer (who got it done before in the playoffs before) who could get it done even at that age. Stillman was that guy for the Canes since he put up better than point-per-game numbers despite his age. Jagr, with two Cups and numerous personal accolades, plus vast experience leading teams, may even be a positive influence for Hank, as well as an established leader for the team as he's gotten it done while being the leader on the Pens, and he still scores at a prolific rate now. He may even teach Kesler how to tone down the moodiness and focus.

I don't think Franzen would be available, he's younger than Alfie and Jagr, and should still factor in offensively long-term with the Wings. Alfie should only be available, as mentioned, if Ottawa was going to have a fire sale if they were struggling (I don't think this condition applies as much for Jagr).

I'd also try for pending UFA's Visnovsky (Streit would probably cost more, since he's their captain, but Lubomir's also a solid PP QB reminiscent of Ehrhoff) or Ribiero (if Jagr won't come then I'd get Ribeiro, who being a pass-first guy, would probably fit well with Kes and Booth, providing a playmaker for them).

Archived