The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Detroit Red Wings - Feb 24, 2013

alt kilgore

gallery_39227_385_59180.jpg

Febuary 24th @ 2:00 PM Joe Louis Arena, Detroit

Last time teams met: Almost a year ago to the day, February 23rd 2012 where the Canucks break the Red Wings record home winning streak 4-3 in OT.

Burrows "breaks" his stick upon scoring the winning OT goal -

PROJECTED LINES / ROSTERS

Luongo - Schneider

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Kesler - Hansen

Raymond - Schroeder - Booth

Kassian - Lapierre - Weise

Edler - Tanev

Garrison - Ballard

Hamhuis - Bieksa (hopefully)

For Detroit:

Howard

BR-caricature-2_normal.gifThe Wheel Deal@Bill_Roose

Coach Mike Babcock said that Jonas Gustavsson will start his first home game for the #RedWings vs. @VanCanucks on Sunday.

................so the back-up goalie challenge continues!

Damien Brunner - Zetterberg - Filppula

Abdelkader - Datsyuk - Cleary

Miller - Cory Emmerton - Tootoo

Jan Mursak Eaves - Joakim Andersson - Tomas Tatar

Ericsson - Kronwall

White - Huskins

Brian Lashoff - Quincey (probable)

Canucks-Red Wings Preview

Associated Press

While the Vancouver Canucks find themselves in their usual spot atop the Northwest Division, the Detroit Red Wings are struggling in their bid for a 22nd consecutive playoff appearance with more than one-third of the shortened season in the books.

Vancouver looks to earn at least a point for the 10th time in 11 meetings as it concludes a four-game road trip in Detroit on Sunday.

The Canucks (10-3-4) are the clear favorites to win a fifth straight division title, and have won their last two games after Friday's 1-0 victory in Nashville - their sixth consecutive one-goal game.

Roberto Luongo improved to 5-0-3 with an NHL-best 1.45 goals-against average after making 23 saves. Once thought to be on his way out of town following a disappointing showing in last season's playoffs, Luongo has put himself in early consideration for the Vezina Trophy.

"I put in a lot of work during the offseason and long lockout, so I got a chance to work on some aspects of my game I wasn't happy with," Luongo said. "I feel big in the net, feel like I'm seeing the puck well and it's working out well.

"
Vancouver is 5-1-4 in the last 10 meetings with Detroit, as Luongo has started each of the nine that resulted in at least one point while posting a 2.77 GAA. It's unclear if he or Cory Schneider will be in net for this contest, but coach Alain Vigneault has praised Luongo's contributions.

"The first period, we were looking to find a little bit of energy and I think we built off that really solid performance from Louie in the first period," Vigneault said. "He permitted us to find our legs, find our execution, find our energy.

"
Jimmy Howard similarly helped Detroit on Saturday, stopping 33 shots for his 12th career shutout in a 4-0 victory over Nashville. The Red Wings (8-7-3), who got goals from Daniel Cleary, Niklas Kronwall, Drew Miller and Tomas Tatar, had gone 0-3-2 over their previous five.

"We put everything to rest," Howard said.

It's unclear if Howard, 3-2-1 with a 2.10 GAA in his last six versus Vancouver, or backup Jonas Gustavsson will make the start in the second of a back-to-back Sunday.

Regardless of who gets the call, the Red Wings need to work on protecting leads. Three of Detroit's defeats during its skid came after it scored the first two goals of the game.

"When you haven't won, it doesn't matter what the score is, the lead's never safe," coach Mike Babcock said. "It's just a confidence thing. Confidence in pro sports comes and goes in a hurry, so this is a big win for us.

"
No matter the results of recent meetings, neither team has been able to capitalize on power-play chances. Vancouver went 0 for 9 with the man advantage in last season's four matchups, while Detroit was a dismal 0 for 20.

The Red Wings have converted just 1 of their last 12 power-play opportunities and rank near the bottom of the league by converting 13.7 percent of their chances.

Henrik Zetterberg is scoreless in his last five versus the Canucks, while Pavel Datsyuk has just two assists in that stretch.

Henrik Sedin assisted on both of Daniel Sedin's goals in Vancouver's 4-3 shootout victory last Feb. 23 in the most recent meeting.

canucks6.jpg

Great way to spend a Sunday afternoon..... watching a head on collision in Motor City!

:canucks: :towel: :frantic: LET'S GO CANUCKS! :frantic: :towel: :canucks:

My two favorite teams playing each other :wub: I hope this one goes to OT (not a shoot out) because even though I will never ever cheer against my beloved Canucks BUT Detroit needs points so this way both my teams get points and Van gets the win and everything is awesome.

It probably will be 3-1 Canucks though. Sedin, Kesler, Raymond.

My two favorite teams playing each other :wub: I hope this one goes to OT (not a shoot out) because even though I will never ever cheer against my beloved Canucks Detroit needs points so this way both my teams get points and Van gets the win and everything is awesome.

It probably will be 3-1 Canucks though.

True but Detroit also hasn't been playing to their usual awesomeness (it kind makes me sad as a redwings fan but happy as a Canuck fan cause I hate it when Detroit and Van face each other in the playoffs) and Luuuu has been really good lately so that is why i think Van will win 3-1. Like I said earlier I kind of hope Van wins in OT so I wouldn't be against a 4-3 OT win. I just don't see Detroit getting past Luuu when he is playing this good. Then again our defense has been dreadful so you never know........

Yes, true again and with the way that Van's defense has been playing I am starting to wonder if it is even possible to defeat the Redwings in Regulation. Perhaps I will just stick by my Original OT prediction but knowing the Canucks they probably will end up going to a SO................... I am still going to choose VAN for the win even though we are dreadful in shootouts.

I just realized that this will be the First Detroit game I get to watch this season and its against Vancouver............awesome......

What I think will happen is Vancouver has a good chance of winning but the game will likely be a high-scoring game, such as 4-2 or 5-3. Our defensive units have been sub-par in their effectiveness lately, so I am assuming 2-3 goals will be allowed tomorrow afternoon.

Too bad I won't be able to watch the game tomorrow afternoon.

I just realized that this will be the First Detroit game I get to watch this season and its against Vancouver............awesome......

I just checked the score for Tonights/last nights's Detroit game via their FB page ( I do not have NHL Center Ice) and saw that they won 4-0 against the Preds so I think you may be right about the game being high scoring. It will be interesting if Lu is in net for Van since had a shootout their previous game and both those shoot outs were against the same team.

The fact that its an early start after playing tonight might factor into Vancouver winning this one. I still think it will be a lot closer then 5-2 though that may just be wishful thinking since I am also a Redwings fan.

The Canucks should come out on top here, what with the Wings on the second game of a back to back and given their average defense corps playing in front of their backup goalie. Never underestimate a team that has Datsyuk playing for them, but I'm feeling a 4-2 Nucks win. Burr, Kass, Juice and Lappy for us, Datsyuk x2 for them. Also, I get the feeling Datsyuk is gonna make Eddie look like an idiot on one of the goals.

Archived