The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

'94 or 2011? - for those fans that have experienced both...

Just Jimmy

Both of those Stanley cup runs had incredible highs and lows.

But in 1994, we were a team that barely squeaked into the playoffs, came back from a 3-1 deficit in the first round, and through sheer grit and determination went on to take the best team in the NHL to 7 games and came within a goal post of winning.

In 2011, WE were the best team in the NHL, almost blew a 3-0 lead in the first round, and went on to lose to a team we should have beaten in the finals (including a humiliatingly poor effort at home in game 7) because of a lack of grit and determination. In the end, that was harder to take. I still haven't forgiven the players that didn't show up in the finals in 2011, and I don't think I ever will.

1982 - amazing run, but we never had a chance against the islanders

1994 - great team that earned everything it got. unfortunately, luck was not on our side (so many lucky goals scored by nyr) and dont forget the salary difference between the two - 13m (VAN) & 35m (NYR). when it was over, i just felt proud of the team and knew they gave it everything

2011 - up 2-0, i actually put down my guard and believed we would win - what a sucker! If the pp had not gone to crap, then the bruins would not have played the way they did. only themselves to blame.

LOVE your post. It's both funny, and exactly correct.In 94, we honestly didn't have an amazing team and played well beyond what was expected. Many of our players stepped up and worked their butts off to gain outstanding results. But at the end of the day, we were beaten by a far more skilled Rangers team. While disappointed they didn't win the cup that year, it was understandable.In the last couple of years, it's been completely different. Now we have the skilled team and they are expected to perform but they simply don't seem capable of stepping it up like the guys in 93-94 did. So with that, by far the current lack of success has been the bigger disappointment.But at the end of the day, I just want our team to win at least ONE cup so idiots like I'm surrounded by here in Calgary can stop using the excuse "well at least we won a cup...".

Archived