The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

'94 or 2011? - for those fans that have experienced both...

Just Jimmy

Which was more of a letdown...or emotional or just a bummer?

I got my inspiration for this from Gillyfluffball's post in the "What made you a Canucks fan thread"

she posted...Its surreal to see how the losses of 94/2011 affected those of us who were around for both, I find this very interesting.

So that made me think, which cup loss was more emotional or had an effect on you...

I think I'm going to have to say 2011....

For years '94 bothered me...that first playoff series alone, down 3-1 to the Flames and coming back in 3 OT games and game 7 double OT wow that was such a draining series and then coming sooooo close to go to game 7 against the Rangers and having to watch the constant sports blurbs on tv about the spector that is 1940 for the Rangers, and everyone wanting them to pull it off it just made me sick...and again coming back down 3-1 could we pull it off...well you all know the answer to that. So for years i had waited for my beloved Canucks to get back to the dance...and as i live in Chicago suddenlty the rivalry started and Chicago fans started hating me even though maybe 6 yrs prior people would be like "You like who?...who are the canucks?"

Then 2011...we almost screwed the pooch round 1 but pulled it out in game 7 and it was glory days because in my mind no one could stop us, as we finally got past those darn Hawks, we had won the President's trophy and Nashville and the Sharks really seemed like a breeze....

and then we were even up 3-2 with needing just one more win to finally hoist Lord Stanley's cup....

so much expectations...where as in '94 we were just 1 game over .500

so yeah i would have to say 2011.

would like to hear from those who got to experience both...but any interesting posts from others are accepted too.

Cheers.

1982 and 1994 were pretty fluky runs: we had teams that got hot but weren't "legitimate contenders" like our 2011 team. The 1994 team underachieved during the regular season, a bit like LA last year except they didn't win it all. 2011 was by far the biggest disappointment because the team had really earned the right to be in that position over a couple of years and couldn't get it done in the face of pressure, injuries, and terrible refereeing.

I found 94 much harder to take precisely because it was such a magical fluke ride. It felt like such a team of destiny and you knew they would not have another chance any time soon (just look at the salary disparity between the teams in the finals).

Losing to Boston was tragic, but it was not their only or last chance.... I hope.

I actually got into an accident on the upper levels highway in West Vancouver on the day of game 7 1994 against the Rangers. Ironically the multi-vehicle pileup was caused by a bunch of kids waiving Canuck banners on the pedestrial overpass just east of the Cap bridge. We actually quit work early that day because everyone had plans as to where they were watching it and so in the end I did manage to get in front of a TV in time to see the game. Disappointing end but a fantastic ride for the fans.

2011, however, has left some permanent scarring that still bothers me today.

94 I was just getting into hockey seriously and had only been to a handful of NHL games so when we lost, I figured we would be back next year. Well 17 years later we finally got our next shot. The first 3 rounds I figured we had this cup in the bag, then we lost and a couple losers go out and start a riot and it was a double kick to the balls. Strangely I did not learn my lesson as I quickly said to myself "Eh, we will be back next year".

Didn't see the first cup run but I did watch it in 94 and one of the main differences to me was how the game 7 went down. Despite being down and dealing with some brutal officiating as well as injuries (Linden comes to mind) the Canucks nutted up and made a game of it and came tantalizingly close to tying up the Rangers and sending it to sudden death.

Game 7 against Boston? Not quite the same performance...although i'd say the post modern Canucks dealt with their fair share of injuries as well.

I think they were equally as devastating.

The '94 guys worked so hard to get that far and gave more than they actually had to give only to fall short by 1 goal.

The '11 guys were the Presidents Trophy winners by a landslide and heavy favorites to win the cup, ahead 2-0 and 3-2 in the Final only to get blown out in game 6 and game 7 on home ice.

Both seasons were magical and upsetting in their own way. Cant really say which hurt more.

As I said to Gillyfluffball in the other thread, '94 hurt me a lot more. It was just so intense to the very final whistle. When it was all over I seriously thought my heart had been ripped out. I guess that experience really helped thicken my skin....because in 2011 I found it a lot easier to detach. As game 7 rolled along, it became obvious that the guys just didn't have anything left. As sad as it was, I was able to move on fairly quickly....unfortunately some douchebags downtown didn't feel the same way. :picard:

You should make this a poll OP. :)

Two totally different scenarios, eh?

'94 team squeaked into the playoffs and went on a "2012 Kings-like" run that didn't culminate with a grail-raising. This club played with nut-busting passion and almost willed itself to a victory with hustle and great goaltending. I cried when it was over.

'11 team was supposed to win, and crapped the bed. Overconfidence? Maybe. Injuries? Bah! Officials? Bah! Poor power play and 8 goals in 7 games? Hmm... Big disappointment, but, it felt nothing like my disappointment in '94. I cracked another beer and changed the channel before it was over.

The '82 run was sweet, too. Ultimately, though, the Canucks were no match for the Islanders dynasty. I wonder if Snepstsy hadn't have coughed up the puck to Bossy with 2 seconds left in OT of game 1 if the series might have shifted? We'll never know.

Archived