The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Calgary Flames to move Farm Club to Utica

A report out of Utica, NY, says the Flames will move their farm team there for next season:

No longer rumor, but fact - professional hockey will once again be on display in New York's Mohawk Valley. An American Hockey League affiliate will be in operation for the 2013-2014 season. The Calgary Flames of the National Hockey League's western conference will be developing their talent in the Utica Memorial Auditorium. Utica last had an AHL team during the 1992-'93 seasson , the final season of the New Jersey Devils six-season run at the Aud.

Here's what we do know, according to a reliable source. A 10-year deal has been struck with the Flames. There had been discussion in previous months that an AHL affiliate could be relocated to Utica, but not until the 2014-'15 season, due to scheduling issues. As far as any opt-out clause in the deal, I don't know for sure if or when one has been added. However, you would think an escape route, for both parties ( local operators and the Flames ) would/should want one. 10 years is infinity and beyond in any relationship.

A lobbying firm in Albany is involved with those locally who will be managing the franchise. Two sources have informed us that public money is being pursed in conjunction with the return of professional hockey to Utica. There are a few phases of upgrades to the Aud planned. Skyboxes are in the plans to be added to the 54-year old arena, however it isn't clear at this time during what planning phase work will get under way.

Season tickets - At this stage of planning, no definite dollar amount has been decided. Once an official announcement is made, on or about March 23 of the Flames relocating their AHL franchise to Utica, it wouldn't be a stretch to think that telemarketing-like phone calls will begin.

Locker room / training facilities : Some cleaning out of rooms in the lower level of the Aud have already been done we are informed. To the right of the Utica College hockey locker room entrance, this is the space where the new locker room and training facility will be constructed. We are told that the UC teams ( men & women ) will have access to the training facility.

Scheduling : At this time, the UC men's schedule is said to be honored for next season.

Management : The well known, well experienced local management team in the hockey world are expected to assume management of the Aud, from concessions to parking. We understand that the area behind the Aud, where fans for UC games and other events park in the street, will be paved and made into a parking lot(s).

Video Scoreboard : Plans are to replace the current scoreboard with a modern video scoreboard , of which UC games would have access to.

Ironically, in 1993 when the Devils relocated their AHL franchise to Albany where they became known as the River Rats, it was the Calgary Flames who purchased the team and relocated to St. John, New Brunswick.

Will there be support for professional hockey in the Mohawk Valley? This is the several million dollar question. If you study the attendance figures of the Utica College men's program, the answer would be a resounding - yes. Ticket prices are an important factor when kids and families have continued to support the programs. At $6.00 for adults and $2.00 for non-Utica College students, the games are highly affordable. AHL ticket prices clearly will be north of what UC charges. This is where recruiting season ticket and mini-plans, and single-game ticket sales will get a bit sticky. UC fans, as well as hockey fans in general, would have to get used to paying higher, professional hockey ticket prices.

Clearly, the local management team leaders know the region well and are experienced in every facet in the operation of an AHL franchise. They will be investing greatly in bring professional hockey back to the area. It appears that they have the cooperation of all the necessary parties needed to make this project succeed.

http://www.uticaod.com/blogs/x1145972669/The-Flames-Are-Coming-The-Flames-Are-Coming-Deal-Done-AHL-Hockey-Returns-To-Utica-Aud-For-2013-2014-Season

Does that mean Canucks would go from Chicago to Abby? Hope so. :towel:

As much as it would be awesome to have the Canucks farm in Abbey, what happens in the mean time? There was a big controversy over the sports complex and I thought there was already a big contract in place with the Flames when it opened...

Interesting.

Edit: After doing some Googling, the contract is 10 years, until 2019 to keep the Heat in Abbey...

I'm pretty sure this sets up our affiliate moving to abbotsford which would be awesome seeing how they are on the final year of contract with Chicago I'm pretty sure not 100% sure though. If so id be inclined on purchasing season tickets if the baby canucks come home.

Having the Nucks farm team in Abbotsford would be a huge moneymaker for the team. That said, I would be concerned about our young rookies having to play in the 'fishbowl' next to the big club. I guess they'll have to learn the downside of being in a rabid hockey market at a tender age.

Like a lot of people, I've thought for awhile that it was only a matter of time until the Heat get out of Abby and the Nucks would move in. The Wolves will have a fairly easy time finding a replacement affiliate.

It'll be an interesting question which AHL city will be left out in the cold after the reshuffling.

I also believe Canucks Sports and Entertainment will be pushing hard over the next five years to bring a basketball team back to Vancouver as a second tenant for RA. If they can, along with the eventual acquisition of Abby, will give the parent company a real foothold in Lower Mainland sports entertainment, moving it from a one trick pony into a regional powerhouse. It will cost the Aquillinis significant investment coin, I'd guess around $400 million for the two entities, but with the right corporate sponsorship and TV deals, will push the resale value of the sports division well north of $1Billion.

Seems odd considering they have a hell of a deal with the City of abbotsford basically picking up any losses accured.

As a fan it would be great to see our prospects closer to home, at the same time they'll have the worst travel schedual in the AHL and being in Chicago is a lot more central of a location to bring guys in on a emergency basics if needed.

Seems odd considering they have a hell of a deal with the City of abbotsford basically picking up any losses accured.

As a fan it would be great to see our prospects closer to home, at the same time they'll have the worst travel schedual in the AHL and being in Chicago is a lot more central of a location to bring guys in on a emergency basics if needed.

As much as it would be awesome to have the Canucks farm in Abbey, what happens in the mean time? There was a big controversy over the sports complex and I thought there was already a big contract in place with the Flames when it opened...

Interesting.

Edit: After doing some Googling, the contract is 10 years, until 2019 to keep the Heat in Abbey...

Vicki Hall@vickihallch

Flames statment on Utica: "We have been approached by representatives in Utica concerning an opportunity for the AHL."

Vicki Hall@vickihallch

More Flames on Utica: "We understand they are building a case for the AHL to return there."

Vicki Hall@vickihallch

Still more Flames on Utica:" We are under contract and committed to Abbotsford, and have made no alternate commitments"

I don't know if this person is any more reliable, though.

Archived