/=S=/

#62 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

I just hope we can get our farm team in there. If another team somehow gets theirs in instead the Canucks seriously messed things up.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#63 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,522 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

The question is how could Abbotsford guys be so dumb, that they allowed Flames prospect in their building. D'uh. I dont need a degree to know that its not going to work.

Probably the same guys who made Vancouvers farm club succeed in Chicago and Montreals farm club succeed in Hamilton.

The problem is people here aren't hockey fans, they are Canuck fans; they support the brand not the game. People in Abbotsford don't support anything unless it involves religion.

Concerts and other entertainment venues in town don't succeed either so there's much more to the problem than the Flames.

#64 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,171 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

Just heard that Abbotsford will change their name to the Millionaires starting next season.

Source: 3rd-hand info leading to Ryan Walter, apparently.

Wish i can find any confirmation on this, but things have been hush-hush since late February. Flames are/were supposed to make an announcement in mid-March. Has that even happened?

Perhaps there will be an announcement during the Millionaires game? If Walter is there, that would be a big hint.

I'd be VERY happy if Abbotsford changed affiliations to Vancouver, so i have blinders on here.
Posted Image

#65 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,106 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

Considering the Canucks own the rights to the name, logo, colours, etc., Abbotsford wouldn't be able to use anything similar enough to it to be useful from a marketing perspective.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#66 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,171 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

Unless the Faq and the Canucks owned them. This is the ultimate scenario i see panning out.
Posted Image

#67 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,106 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

Well sure, if that were the case it could be possible. The Flames would have to agree to find a different AHL affiliate then and sell the team to the Canucks since they couldn't just move the Heat somewhere else. The agreement with the city of Abbotsford prevents them from doing that.

But even then it's a V for the logo and Vancouver Millionaires was the team, not A and Abbotsford.

#68 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,171 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

Another AV-related problem?

Meh. I'm not getting too excited until i hear it from something other than joe schmoe's buddy or some random blog. Nevertheless, it only makes too much sense for it to not happen.
Posted Image

#69 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,106 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

Meh, I'm not that sold on them becoming the Millionaires if there's any truth to it just because the V is such an iconic part of the logo. I think we don't use the Johnny Canuck theme enough and that would go over well - especially the variation of that logo that uses the pilot style cap and goggles. A little darker blue and richer green and there you go.

#70 Brick Tamland

Brick Tamland

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

Just heard that Abbotsford will change their name to the Millionaires starting next season.

Source: 3rd-hand info leading to Ryan Walter, apparently.

Wish i can find any confirmation on this, but things have been hush-hush since late February. Flames are/were supposed to make an announcement in mid-March. Has that even happened?

Perhaps there will be an announcement during the Millionaires game? If Walter is there, that would be a big hint.

I'd be VERY happy if Abbotsford changed affiliations to Vancouver, so i have blinders on here.

Extremely false info...

The deal in place between the city, the flames, the heat and the owner of the building is subsidized by the tax payers.

Nothing is happening unless the Aquilinis buy the team, the building and pay the Flames a large sum of money.

This is highly, highly unlikely unless the A's see this as a can't miss.

That is from a source closer than something maybe connected to Ryan Walter.
I Love Lamp...

#71 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

Well sure, if that were the case it could be possible. The Flames would have to agree to find a different AHL affiliate then and sell the team to the Canucks since they couldn't just move the Heat somewhere else. The agreement with the city of Abbotsford prevents them from doing that.

But even then it's a V for the logo and Vancouver Millionaires was the team, not A and Abbotsford.

That would be the case except the Flames do not own the Abbotsford Heat, Elvis. So the Flames can't sell something they don't own.

The Heat are owned by local Fraser Valley investors. The Flames have an affiliation agreement with the Heat, which in principal is similar to the deal the Canucks have with the Wolves (the terms of each deal obviously are probably different).

The deal to subsidize the Heat and keep the franchise in Abbotsford is between the Abbotsford City Council and the local Heat ownership group, not the Calgary Flames, though I'm sure the Heat ownership group used their relationship with the Flames to leverage a deal with the city council.

#72 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,398 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:51 AM

Abbotsford Millionaires?

I've been thinking this for a while. It'd fit perfectly.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#73 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:53 AM

The only thing I can think of reading that title...

Posted Image

SYvE9NH.gif

#74 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:54 AM

If you so much as ham a hair on Baertschi's head.... we will burn Utica to the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc06HbVz8gA

Glad I wasn't the only one +1 :lol:

SYvE9NH.gif

#75 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

Probably the same guys who made Vancouvers farm club succeed in Chicago and Montreals farm club succeed in Hamilton.

The problem is people here aren't hockey fans, they are Canuck fans; they support the brand not the game. People in Abbotsford don't support anything unless it involves religion.

Concerts and other entertainment venues in town don't succeed either so there's much more to the problem than the Flames.

Abbotsford Canucks
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#76 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,171 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

Since AHL teams change affiliations all the time, i don't see the agreement between the city of Abbotsford and the Calgary Flames being an unsurmountable obstacle.

If they simply change their affiliation to Utica, then that's it. Abbotsford Millionaires can become a reality.

What? Are people expecting the City of Abbotsford to block Calgary's affiliation-swap? Esp. knowing that the Canucks' current agreement with Chicago ends after this season?

The only obstacle is whether Flames/Utica is a go or not. That was the original rumour. Other rumour being Rangers/Utica, leaving Hartford open for ... an NHL return? Other rumour is Utica isn't even an option for the AHL.

Or... How 'bout a Chicago/Abbotsford affiliation swap?

Perhaps an Abbotsford/Vancouver affiliation at this point is a dream. But it's not impossible. In fact, it looks like destiny.
Posted Image

#77 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

Wouldn't there still be a year without an affiliate, if we were to entertain the idea of leaving Chicago after this year, the Flames/Heat agreement doesn't end till 13/14. So another 1 year deal with Chicago, and move the team out west would be perfect. Abbotsford is currently paying tooth and nail for a franchise affiliate that no one in the Fraser Valley wants to see. If that were the Mini-Nucks, I would probably make the treck from North Van on a semi-regular basis.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#78 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,213 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

The Flames are moving to Utica?
They should move the Heat to Syracuse so they'll be close by.

#79 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

The Flames are moving to Utica?
They should move the Heat to Syracuse so they'll be close by.

Both upstate New York, 50 miles away from each other. Though you might be onto something...Syracuse may have a better regional airport than Utica.

#80 zoner.

zoner.

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

Both upstate New York, 50 miles away from each other. Though you might be onto something...Syracuse may have a better regional airport than Utica.

The Syracuse Crunch are already in there.
Posted Image

#81 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

I'm pretty sick of hearing this. The lower mainland, hell coastal BC is definitely a hockey hotbed. The Giants are perennially at or near the top of attendance in the WHL, and the Royals (Pretty much the same market) are up there too.

Thousands of people are packed in arenas for lowly BCHL games each season, and there are several junior B leagues across the province that are quite successful.

This is also completely discounting how many people play hockey, minor leagues, beer leagues etc. Just because the Canucks are popular doesn't mean people only care about the team and not the sport.
"Suck it Phaneuf" -Scott Hartnell
The poster formerly known as "CAPSLOCK"
Posted Image

#82 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

I like Abbotsford Aviators alot more than Abbotsford Millionaires.

And it makes more sense too.

I just hope we can get the franchise as I live very close by, a friend had Heat season tickets a few years back and would be interested in buying them again if it becomes our affiliate.

Then I could go all the time.

zackass.png

#83 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

Abbotsford Red Scorpions
Posted Image

#84 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

100 percent Abby will be Canucks AHL team. They will have total control unlike in Chicago. Abby then can stop losing money. Win for both sides.

Agreed
Posted Image

#85 Goal:thecup

Goal:thecup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

I'd be happy with them getting a decent regional TV deal, though I too would make the drive quite a few times a year.

The Heat would also need a rebranding.... any suggestions out there for a new name for the Abby AHL affiliate?

The Cool.

#86 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

And with more than one prominent religion on the go in Abbotsford hockey doesn't stand a chance? That's rich and deep thinking.
Sports bridges culture. I would agree that people in this region are Canucks fans first. That has nothing to do with religion in Abbotsford nor would it stop people from watching a Canucks farm team if it were to be based in Abbotsford. That building would be close to full every night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.