The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Calgary Flames to move Farm Club to Utica

Strange, I had the same reaction to your post...

I like that better than the Aviators. The Millionaires also make some sense, but since it's not specifically a team in Vancouver, I'm not sure it'd be quite the same.

But the Abbotsford Airmen I like. Canucks colours and the variation of the Johnny Canuck logo:

(obviously without the 'Vancouver Canucks' but keeping the stick in rink logo in the goggles)

First of all, I'd like to say that this would be fantastic if the Canucks farm club came here! I usually go to the Wolves games when they're here so that would be amazing.

I think they will avoid names such as; The Aviators, Pilots, Airmen, or Arrows (as much as i like this one) just because of the Winnipeg Jets being back in the NHL. Avoiding being linked to them (even if only by name) would be a poor choice for marketing.

The best name I can think of would to be to directly link them to the parent club with either the Millionaires, or Canucks, and creating a way in which they could use Johnny Canuck logo in a more prominent way on the jersey.

And to Lulover88, it takes 40 minutes if you drive fast. Approximately 65-70 minutes if you turn up the tunes and cruise in the slow lane.

Strange, I had the same reaction to your post...

I like that better than the Aviators. The Millionaires also make some sense, but since it's not specifically a team in Vancouver, I'm not sure it'd be quite the same.

But the Abbotsford Airmen I like. Canucks colours and the variation of the Johnny Canuck logo:

can.png

(obviously without the 'Vancouver Canucks' but keeping the stick in rink logo in the goggles)

I don't think it's official so it might not be happening, but I think it would be a great situation for all involved. The Heat might have a better chance getting fans there and Abbotsford would likely let them out of their deal if they knew the Wolves would/could move in right away. Being that the stories about Aquilini wanting to move the Wolves to Abbotsford have been going for a while now, I could see there being just such a 3-way deal. Definitely a more appropriate team for the market for the Wolves, and one almost sure to make money.

Im in abby and i know for sure if we had the ir nucks here there ticket sales would be 100% better, bring them on. i go to at least 1 gm with the heat i know i would go to at least 5 + gms a year if it was the jr nucks. Sorry heat I just can't get into it knowing we have the jr lames here, i do support the pilots and chilliwack chiefs

If Aquilini bought the arena from the city like it has been rumoured... this is a win for everyone. The taxpayers don't end up subsidizing a team that can't draw flies, and we get a farm team where folks can go see our own prospects. It opens up the organization to a huge segment of the market who love the Canucks, but can't afford to take their whole family to an NHL game.

The bigger loser I think would be the other lower tier hockey teams around... the Giants, the Rivermen, etc... you go see the mini-Canucks for your cheap hockey fix if you are anywhere in the Valley.

From the other thread in Canucks Talk about moving our affiliate to the Heat if the rumoured move did happen:

Apparently it's not happening...

http://www.news1130...._medium=twitter

BBOTSFORD (NEWS1130) – One media outlet in Utica reported it as iron-clad fact: the Abbotsford Heat would be pulling up stakes for New York State next hockey season.

But the trouble with facts is that sometimes, they’re just not that factual.

The rumour started over the weekend in blog posted on the Utica Observer-Dispatch’s website, which stated the Flames had signed a 10-year deal to bring their AHL affiliate team to the local arena.

It seems plausible; the Abbotsford Heat has had chronically low attendance, among the worst in the league, and the city has been on the hook in a deal that makes taxpayers responsible for any shortfall in profits.

Late last summer, there were also rumours the Vancouver Canucks were interested in snapping up the AHL team.

The first cold water dumped on the current chatter was from Abbotsford Heat president Ryan Walter, who told The Province that nobody from the Flames had spoken with him about relocating the farm team.

The Flames organization then issued a statement denying the rumour and saying how great their current relationship is with the Abbotsford Heat.

Then came the final body check: One of the members of the board that oversees the arena in Utica told the media the story is false — they have approached a number of teams about bringing the AHL back to the city and whole thing was taken out of context.

The Chicago Wolves are separate from the Canucks, plus one of the marquee franchises in the AHL able to compete without the aid of an NHL team. Their attendance levels rivals those drawn by the Blackhawks. It's safe to say that the Wolves will be staying in Chicago. They'll probably be some independent club where NHL teams will loans players to.

The Chicago Wolves are separate from the Canucks, plus one of the marquee franchises in the AHL able to compete without the aid of an NHL team. Their attendance levels rivals those drawn by the Blackhawks. It's safe to say that the Wolves will be staying in Chicago. They'll probably be some independent club where NHL teams will loans players to.

I could see the Wolves becoming the affiliate of an expansion team, they are a highly decorated AHL team and will probably not be moved. I assume that Vancouver will have one more year with the wolves and then there will be a shake up in the AHL/NHL. Abbotsford will end up being an expansion team bought by aquillini along with one other for whichever NHL expansion team doesn't get the wolves.

Calgary - Utica

Markham - Chicago

Vancouver - Abbotsford

Quebec - Kansas City maybe??

Archived