The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

AV and Kassian

Red Light Racicot

Kassian has single-handedly lost the Canucks this game tonight. 3 powerplay goals on 3 brutal powerplays, 2 of which were Kassian. I don't agree with the goalie interference call but he just blew us over for the 5th goal. Horrible penalty on Tootoo that would have given us a powerplay at a crucial time in the game.

AV better scratch him for the next game to send this kid a message. He's been good, but 3 minor penalties has cost this team the game.

Kassian has single-handedly lost the Canucks this game tonight. 3 powerplay goals on 3 brutal powerplays, 2 of which were Kassian. I don't agree with the goalie interference call but he just blew us over for the 5th goal. Horrible penalty on Tootoo that would have given us a powerplay at a crucial time in the game.

AV better scratch him for the next game to send this kid a message. He's been good, but 3 minor penalties has cost this team the game.

IMO I don't think he's being moved around to punish him. He still had almost 15 miins of ice time. I feel that he is getting shuffled around to unlike Coho not give him the best chance to succeed but to be out in as many dif game situations as possible with players who won't have their offensive performance suffer while he learns the game. It was obvious the Sedins weren't as effective because of Kass's learning curve. He is better off learning the ropes in the bottom 6 and getting time on the PP and relief shifts in place of Burr after a PK to top up his TOI.

Maybe... just maybe

The point of rewarding/punishing Kassian is an incentive to get him playing consistent hockey?

If Kassian has an inconsistent shift/game why reward him with quality ice time?

If he knows he is gonna be in the bottom 6 for taking a shift off, hes going to be a lot more conscious about his effort level every shift...

Av's style is to demote or bench a player that makes a mistake...at least a new guy. It's one way to deal with young guys. There Some coaches (Tom Rene )talk to the young guys and explain what went wrong and try to educate them to be better players. Others chew them out on the bench (Carlyle on Kadri) and then send them out to do better (which he did).

Really effective coaches know how to motivate different players using different techniques.

I'm personally not a fan of the "demote or bench" style as it leads to players afraid to make a move in case they make a mistake. To me, that's what Kassian has looked like lately. He is an "on the edge" player and needs to have that passion and recklessness to be a force. Putting a chain aroudn his neck and tieing one hadn behind his back makes him a feline cat and a liability.

Lucic is intimidating and a force because he has the leeway to be an a$$hole and play on the edge. That's supposed to be the kind of player the Nucks have been lacking. Looks like AV is trying to turn Kassian into a clone of our numerous mid-sized, semi-talented good two way players that his sometimes. GREAT!@!!

Guest Gumballthechewy

I had no problem with the penalty on Tootoo but he should have threw in some punches. I don't care if he was down, he deserved it.

Anyone watch Lucic crosscheck and punch weaver when he was down? that is how its done... send a message

Archived