Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Kesler Severely Over-Rated- Do We Really Want Him?

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#1 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

POPULAR

Update: He's become so injury prone it's not even worth it keeping him as an overrated player if he's just going to be an IR player. TIme for this organization to move on in the offseaoson and ship him out while he still has value.

The question is, Do we really need him? When he's constantly injured any never playing at 100 percent? He'll only get worse from here on out from wear and tear and will never be the same player he once was 2 years ago. We got to move on and start thinking objectively for whats the best thing for this club moving forward.

Is Kesler severely overrated by everyone? I feel like everyone views him as the selke 40 goal scorer but thats looking to be more and more like an anomaly. People will say he'll be a beast in the playoffs but the reality is that he only had one amazing series his entire career which was Nashville. Look at all the goals he's scored in the playoffs and you'll see that the majority of them came from that 1 series alone

Take away his 40 goal season and you can't even call him a 30 goal scorer.1 season does not define you, but it seems to have with this fan base. He's not even a elite level player offensively anymore and if you watch the games it's hard to argue. He can rarely create anything by himself anymore. His speed is not as effective as it was earlier in his career and his shot doesn't fool anyone no more.

Defensively he isn't as strong as he once was either. He's no longer a beast on the Penalty kill and he doesn't have the same defensive presence on the ice for this team. Maybe becaue he's trying too hard to create offense.

ON top of that he has some cocky diving arrogance that makes it's way throughout the league. Refs all view him with an attitude problem and an embellisher

Might be in the Canucks best interest to trade him for something if possible. He's also got so much wear and tear on his body that we should try and trade him while he still has good value.

Edited by The Dark Knight, 27 February 2013 - 05:07 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,840 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

POPULAR

:picard:

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#3 John Tortorella

John Tortorella

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

POPULAR

Agreed. Very overrated. I get alot of flack for
Saying it but burrows > kesler. Way better bang for buck, more effort, and more teamplay
"Oh, and torts is an amazing coach, a father figure type
Ex: yells at you motivates you, but tells you you're amazing and keep it up when you succeed, not AV, the guy that barely talked to his players
Torts will destroy the media hype and all the pressure they put on the players" Shredder 09:23 PM Friday July 5th

#4 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

Kesler is pretty much Burrows with more attitude, speed and a better shot.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#5 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

POPULAR

Shut up...its ONE loss. We're still 10-4-4 incase anyone's forgotten

Edited by Steven Stamkos' Mullet, 24 February 2013 - 05:47 PM.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#6 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

POPULAR

Is Kesler severely overrated by everyone? I feel like everyone views him as the selke 40 goal scorer but thats looking to be more and more like an anomaly. People will say he'll be a beast in the playoffs but the reality is that he only had one amazing series his entire career which was Nashville. Look at all the goals he's scored in the playoffs and you'll see that the majority of them came from that 1 series alone

Take away his 40 goal season and you can't even call him a 30 goal scorer.1 season does not define you, but it seems to have with this fan base. He's not even a elite level player offensively anymore and if you watch the games it's hard to argue. He can rarely create anything by himself anymore. His speed is not as effective as it was earlier in his career and his shot doesn't fool anyone no more.

Defensively he isn't as strong as he once was either. He's no longer a beast on the Penalty kill and he doesn't have the same defensive presence on the ice for this team. Maybe becaue he's trying too hard to create offense.

ON top of that he has some cocky diving arrogance that makes it's way throughout the league. Refs all view him with an attitude problem and an embellisher

Might be in the Canucks best interest to trade him for something if possible. He's also got so much wear and tear on his body that we should try and trade him while he still has good value.

Kesler is a diver. One of the best at it too. That, or he has a harder time than Raymond istaying on his skates.

NYI

Kesler

Schneider

1st

VAN

Tavares

#7 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,530 posts

POPULAR

Its his attitude IMO which is the problem. If sth doesn't go his way it goes downhill from there, cue the flopping and whining to the refs. He just needs to shut up, play hard and stay on his feet and good things will come.

#8 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Such a sensitive topic but its hard to not see it. Really I'm just being objective when I'm making this thread. He is no where near as good as burrows

Posted Image

#9 Magnum P I

Magnum P I

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

POPULAR

Aaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Pure idiocy. Win= team of all stars...lose= team of overrated bums.

Even pointing this idiocy out is getting tiresome. How do people not see how stupid comments like that are after a loss?

Look at Kesler's numbers without playing on the Sedin line. He's at the top of the list every year anchoring the second line.

How are burrows numbers when he's not playing with hank and Danny ?

Kesler is a selke trophy winning power forward coming off a summer and half season off. Get a grip

Edited by Magnum P I, 24 February 2013 - 05:45 PM.

Posted Image

#10 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

:picard: Give your head a shake and someone take away this kids keyboard.
Posted Image
"Louuuuuuuuuu!" - Last game Attended: Vancouver vs. Penguins
Email me

#11 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

Shut up...its ONE loss. We're still 11-4-4 incase anyone's forgotten

10-4-4
Posted Image
"Louuuuuuuuuu!" - Last game Attended: Vancouver vs. Penguins
Email me

#12 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

Kesler is a diver. One of the best at it too. That, or he has a harder time than Raymond istaying on his skates.

NYI

Kesler

Schneider

1st

VAN

Tavares

granted its NYI but even they wouldn't be that stupid. TAVARES craps over both those players. Plus NYI is ok with Nabby and Thomas [if they manage to dress him]

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#13 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

The quality of referees has been severely over-rated IMO.

#14 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,424 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

POPULAR

The people face palming are the ones that need a reality check. Kesler has been terrible since he got back. I'm not gonna make excuses for him, he has been terrible defensively and all he does is try to skate in the zone and do his usual "wrist shot" which get block 99% of the time.
Posted Image

#15 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

Shut up...its ONE loss. We're still 11-4-4 incase anyone's forgotten

Thank You!

Edited by Bob Singh, 24 February 2013 - 05:45 PM.

Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#16 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

10-4-4

Ah my mistake. I had 11 in my head when I was typing. Post has been edited

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#17 Magnum P I

Magnum P I

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

The people face palming are the ones that need a reality check. Kesler has been terrible since he got back. I'm not gonna make excuses for him, he has been terrible defensively and all he does is try to skate in the zone and do his usual "wrist shot" which get block 99% of the time.

Is that right? The whole six games he's been back? Imagin that. Oh he's also got 4 points in those six games big guy.

People said the exact same thing about Daniel Sedin when he came back from his injury a couple years ago. And how did that turn out? It took Daniel 10 games to start playing even remotely well. Then he went on to almost tie his brother in points ( who won the art Ross that year)

Edited by Magnum P I, 24 February 2013 - 05:49 PM.

Posted Image

#18 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

Just got back from major surgery so I can cut him a litttleee slack but my patience is also dwindling. He's still a solid 2nd line center, just needs his groove back. I don't think he'll be as good as he was during the 40 goal season but his defensive game needs to pick up.
Posted Image

#19 Bertorama

Bertorama

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

Your a moron.

Just back from off season surgery

Shortened training season

End of a road swing after playing hard three games in four nights

Before tonight only one pp goal against on the road trip

Team is just starting to gel missing their top offensive minded passing D man

THE SKY IS FALLING! Quick go tell everyone............

Seriously. WTF? Go cheer for a different team !

thcanucks_skate_spin.gif

#20 maddox

maddox

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

POPULAR

yes this is obvious. kesler is a decent checker who thinks he is an all star. he should be a third line checking centre and play his role as he can. his wrist shot and cement hands are simply painful to watch. couldn't agree more with the OP as I have been thinking this since he got his new contract.

he should have been traded instead of hodgson and then hodgson takes the second line role but mg didnt have the balls to probably even consider that.

#21 supermanbieksa

supermanbieksa

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

Is it only me who finds it annoying that if you critisize a player on the team almost everyone will call the poster band wagooner or only post a face palm. I thought the poiny of the forum is to share your opinion on the team.

And regarding Keslers play, he hasn't been the same as he waa his Selke season, but he has been having injury problems, give him some time. If he doesn't come back to his game maybe the Canucks management should consider trading him.

#22 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

Only as good as the team around him.
Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#23 ALTtimegreat

ALTtimegreat

Comets Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

It ain't gonna happen but Kesler would better fit as canucks 3rd line centre. Trade schneider ++ for someone like N. backstrom from Washington.

#24 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

I agree the one 40 goal season was an anomaly, it's difficult to put up those type of number year after year. Perhaps that one year raised fan expectations too much. Having said that he's still a very good secondary scorer, and good in all situations especially defensive. He's still one of our best players, even if he's not sniping 40 goals a year.

Edited by etsen3, 24 February 2013 - 05:55 PM.

#25 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Is that right? The whole six games he's been back? Imagin that. Oh he's also got 4 points in those six games big guy.

People said the exact same thing about Daniel Sedin when he came back from his injury a couple years ago. And how did that turn out? It took Daniel 10 games to start playing even remotely well. Then he went on to almost tie his brother in points ( who won the art Ross that year)

Did you see Kesler last season? Same crap. He's changed his game and clearly it's been for the worse. He looks nowhere near as dominant defensively anymore and his not passing shoot into the shin pads routine is getting annoying.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#26 StopesisCanucks

StopesisCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Darkknight I told you that u should go outside and get some fresh air.

#27 maddox

maddox

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Only as good as the team around him.

are you kidding me? are you actually suggesting one player cannot play better than another?

wow. perhaps the OP posted this in frustration to the canucks loss, but that is irrelevant. anyone who has an objective hockey sense has had this formulation of kesler for a while.

#28 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

He had one stellar season which he'll never reach again and everyone presumed that he'll be doing that EVERY year, so in that aspect yeah sure he's overrated.

Edited by HiChui, 24 February 2013 - 07:27 PM.

#29 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

once again we have arguments between real vancouver fans that are not blind vs the vancouver cheerleaders ... real vancouver fan puts up a good post and the cheerleaders have a hard time facing facts or even replying with facts so they resort to face palming and insults really shows how intelligent the cheerleaders are.

#30 John Tortorella

John Tortorella

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

I like kesler and what he brings

As a 3rd line center. We need a true 2nd line center.
"Oh, and torts is an amazing coach, a father figure type
Ex: yells at you motivates you, but tells you you're amazing and keep it up when you succeed, not AV, the guy that barely talked to his players
Torts will destroy the media hype and all the pressure they put on the players" Shredder 09:23 PM Friday July 5th

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.