The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler Severely Over-Rated- Do We Really Want Him?

The Dark Knight

No i'm saying he's playing better because he's actually able to form chemistry with his linemates. Kesler is a chemistry killer because of his selfishness. Puck hog, one man army mentality hurts everyone. He also doesn't have the greatest hockey sense and vision which is fine if he was a winger but he isn't. A good centre distributes the puck smartly and puts his wingers in a advantageous situation. Kesler has a hard time doing that over the last 3 years.

Did you ever think that perhaps the fact that Raymond is playing better has nothing to do with not playing with Kesler and everything to do with his back injury finally being healed.

I already said I agree that Kes has to pass more but i have already seen evidence of him doing so in the last few games. Perhaps that isn't really an issue with how Kesler is playing and more with an issue with Coaching!

Kes may be over-rated and the expectations of him may be unrealistic, but here's my take on Kes so far this season...

He had a good start, but I chalk that up to being ultra jacked up about being back in the line up...no one should be surprised at his better than expected play for the first few games...an overload of adrenaline is a great thing to have. After the first few games, it should come as no surprise his game should taper off...the guy is coming back from a serious shoulder labrum and wrist surgeries. I think he's playing as well as expected of him. Once he gets to game speed, say in another 3-4 games, then I would expect him to play at a higher level.

I also attribute the improved play of the Sedins to two things -- (1) being in game shape; (2) having Kes in the line up. Kes doesn't necessarily make those he's playing with on the same line better, but I believe he takes some of the pressure off the Sedins, which allows them to be more relaxed, resulting in more confident play for them.

Lastly, even when Kes isn't firing on all cylinders, he gives the Canucks a centreman that allows for different looks. I would rather have him in the line up than out...how he's used is debatable, but that's more a coaching discussion than whether Kes is valuable to the team or not.

So, for the time being, let' cut him a little slack...if we're having this same discussion about Kes at the end of March, then we will have a problem on our hands...until then, we should let the guy play his way back to form.

Is Kesler severely overrated by everyone? I feel like everyone views him as the selke 40 goal scorer but thats looking to be more and more like an anomaly. People will say he'll be a beast in the playoffs but the reality is that he only had one amazing series his entire career which was Nashville. Look at all the goals he's scored in the playoffs and you'll see that the majority of them came from that 1 series alone

Take away his 40 goal season and you can't even call him a 30 goal scorer.1 season does not define you, but it seems to have with this fan base. He's not even a elite level player offensively anymore and if you watch the games it's hard to argue. He can rarely create anything by himself anymore. His speed is not as effective as it was earlier in his career and his shot doesn't fool anyone no more.

Defensively he isn't as strong as he once was either. He's no longer a beast on the Penalty kill and he doesn't have the same defensive presence on the ice for this team. Maybe becaue he's trying too hard to create offense.

ON top of that he has some cocky diving arrogance that makes it's way throughout the league. Refs all view him with an attitude problem and an embellisher

Might be in the Canucks best interest to trade him for something if possible. He's also got so much wear and tear on his body that we should try and trade him while he still has good value.

Did you ever think that perhaps the fact that Raymond is playing better has nothing to do with not playing with Kesler and everything to do with his back injury finally being healed.

I already said I agree that Kes has to pass more but i have already seen evidence of him doing so in the last few games. Perhaps that isn't really an issue with how Kesler is playing and more with an issue with Coaching!

Is Kesler severely overrated by everyone? I feel like everyone views him as the selke 40 goal scorer but thats looking to be more and more like an anomaly. People will say he'll be a beast in the playoffs but the reality is that he only had one amazing series his entire career which was Nashville. Look at all the goals he's scored in the playoffs and you'll see that the majority of them came from that 1 series alone

Take away his 40 goal season and you can't even call him a 30 goal scorer.1 season does not define you, but it seems to have with this fan base. He's not even a elite level player offensively anymore and if you watch the games it's hard to argue. He can rarely create anything by himself anymore. His speed is not as effective as it was earlier in his career and his shot doesn't fool anyone no more.

Defensively he isn't as strong as he once was either. He's no longer a beast on the Penalty kill and he doesn't have the same defensive presence on the ice for this team. Maybe becaue he's trying too hard to create offense.

ON top of that he has some cocky diving arrogance that makes it's way throughout the league. Refs all view him with an attitude problem and an embellisher

Might be in the Canucks best interest to trade him for something if possible. He's also got so much wear and tear on his body that we should try and trade him while he still has good value.

Kesler maybe overrated, but his special team assets make him valuable..

But how can we flame kesler when we have players like Booth who amaze me with his invisibility night in night out, people will defend the clown cause he had 2 whole good games in the playoffs, The guy is a useless big money player.

Time to aim the hate trigger appropriatly at others, Kesler will find his game.

No i'm saying he's playing better because he's actually able to form chemistry with his linemates. Kesler is a chemistry killer because of his selfishness. Puck hog, one man army mentality hurts everyone. He also doesn't have the greatest hockey sense and vision which is fine if he was a winger but he isn't. A good centre distributes the puck smartly and puts his wingers in a advantageous situation. Kesler has a hard time doing that over the last 3 years.

Of course Kesler is overrated. He's overrated because idiotic Canucks fans seem to sincerely believe he is of the ability to win the Selke every single year

Canucks fans overrate a player, then cry about how he's overrated when he doesn't live up to the lofty expectations THEY THEMSELVES set

It's literally insane how some of you think

Archived