Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Kesler Severely Over-Rated- Do We Really Want Him?

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#121 cc_devil

cc_devil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

40 goals only happened cause he stood in front of net on power plays.
As long as he remembers that he can go back to being a complete player perhaps. Depending on his Salo syndrome and if it continues on a yearly basis.

#122 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

I agree a little that Kesler might be overrated. However you make him look like a fourth/third line center which he is not either.

With that Selke and 40 goals we all pictured Kesler a 1st line center, playing on a 2nd line in Vancouver. However I think Kesler is a 2nd line center, he's just playing with poor winger. That one year he scored a lot on the PP with the Sedins and could get it going offensively on his own, but now other teams don't pictures him as a defensive player anymore, therefore it's harder to create offensively by himself.

I don't think it's that he played with poor wingers as much as he makes his wingers play poor and that's why he shouldn't be our second line center.

He is a great player but needs to play on the third as center or second line as a winger. Go get us a center MG.

#123 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

Yes, I made that comment last year when Booth was with Kesler and people were suggesting how Kesler needed a playmaking winger ??
Its the centres job to dictate who has a better chance to be in postion to score,whether its to his wingers,himself or using his dmen.
I suggested that they let Kesler play the wing with Booth,centered by Coho. (Kesler could take the important faceoffs) My logic was You had too fast abrasive guys who liked to shoot,let them compete with each other to be the best person to have that chance and let a smart playmaker like Coho distibute the puck.
All I heard was how Kesler was a #1 centre ,Selke winner and because the coach didnt try it, it was a silly idea- No one agreeing with me then, even though Kesler wasnt getting the same resuts then. Its easy for a team to defend,when they can expect what is going to happen ex. as a dman,why play the middle completely on a 2on1,get ready to move in front,and block the shot, same with the goalie making the SAVE

I wasnt putting Kesler down then either,just trying something to make him more effective,as teams were onto him.Alot of his 40 goals came on the pp with the Sedins,where he was very effective And Hank is a Centre

I said the same thing and was flamed for it last year (before the trade). Centers need to make there wingers better. Coho is not an option now (but I do wish AV tried it) don't know if Schroeder is there yet, we need a trade for a center.

#124 adniel_g

adniel_g

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

Basically he doesnt play with as much heart as he once did.

The 5M went to his brain and now he thinks hes a star that can dive and draw penalties.

Edited by adniel_g, 25 February 2013 - 10:24 AM.

#125 wendythirteenthrashers

wendythirteenthrashers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

The puck hogging... The diving..... Any one that ends up on his line suffers.... The guy thinks he's superman and wants to do it all himself.... Might as well put him between volpatti and weise so they can clear him some room....

#126 adniel_g

adniel_g

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

I said the same thing and was flamed for it last year (before the trade). Centers need to make there wingers better. Coho is not an option now (but I do wish AV tried it) don't know if Schroeder is there yet, we need a trade for a center.

Yeah I agree, Kesler's line should always have a second center on it. After Kesler takes the draw he plays like a winger (even further a winger that forget's his teammates exist), lets not pretend that doesn't happen anymore.
Straight up, you put a pylon with Henrik, the pylon scores at a ppg pace.
Put a top 6 player on Kesler's line, they either get demoted to the 4th line or AHL shortly thereafter.

It is wrong of us to call him a puck hog etc as his game hasn't changed a TON.
He was never really that gifted a center man. It was less apparent before because he was constantly used in a defensive role centered around his face off abilities.

What has to happen is for coaching and everyone else to accept the player Kesler is and change their approach.

Edited by adniel_g, 25 February 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#127 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

What is more sad? Someone like the op made a post like this or a considerable amount of people agree with the op in this thread?

It seems like that since Raymond and Ballard is playing well, Rome is gone and luongo is performing, the idiots in Vancouver have turn to a new target as their whipping boy. This time it's Kesler and kassian......

This is getting really old. Are we really having a discussion in cdc about whether Kesler belongs to the third line or second line?

#128 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Kassian is Young....Kesler should know how to score by now lol

#129 adniel_g

adniel_g

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

What is more sad? Someone like the op made a post like this or a considerable amount of people agree with the op in this thread?

It seems like that since Raymond and Ballard is playing well, Rome is gone and luongo is performing, the idiots in Vancouver have turn to a new target as their whipping boy. This time it's Kesler and kassian......

This is getting really old. Are we really having a discussion in cdc about whether Kesler belongs to the third line or second line? It's like a bunch of idiots havin a meeting about what to do when the world ends in 2012

Your the idiot for not understanding the points stated and what is fact.
Fact: Kesler is not a strong center
Fact: Kesler dives to the point where the league actually took note of it

Now all we are saying is that we need someone with passing capability on that line and a guy that can add leadership to the team instead of poisoning it with BS like the diving.

As for Kassian, he is struggling as a rookie. Its not easy for some to be patient with him (me excluded) considering we gave up a guy that could score that definitive clutch goal when the rest of the team was flat.

Edited by adniel_g, 25 February 2013 - 11:02 AM.

#130 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,394 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

Yea I'm sure he's healthier but I still stand by him playing better because he's got linemates that want to work as a unit on the ice.

As far as Kesler's defensive play... well tt's hard to say anything positive about a guy that in 6 games has been on the ice for more GA than every other forward except Higgins (who plays on a line with him now so it's not even fair). He's getting hemmed in his own zone constantly too.

No. I think you stand by your linemates theory because it supports your position.
Raymond has always been this good, but when you break your %$#@! spine, things tend to become more difficult.

And Kes is definitely a puck-hog. But what he is not is over-rated. He would be an even better player if he stopped the diving, whining and puck hogging, but that's just Kesler. Can you know the mighty ocean? Can you lasso a star from the sky? Can you say to a rainbow... 'Hey, stop being a rainbow for a second'? No! Such is Kesler!

no duh.

You win the internet, EOM.

#131 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Not overrated but he isnt playing his position very well. As a centre, he should be utilizing his wingers more (nothing new there).

Not sure if he doesn't trust who he's playing with, doesn't see the ice well enough, or thinks he can do it himself. These are all fixable (or should be).

#132 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

Your the idiot for not understanding the points stated and what is fact.
Fact: Kesler is not a strong center
Fact: Kesler dives to the point where the league actually took note of it

Now all we are saying is that we need someone with passing capability on that line and a guy that can add leadership to the team instead of poisoning it with BS like the diving.

As for Kassian, he is struggling as a rookie. Its not easy for some to be patient with him (me excluded) considering we gave up a guy that could score that definitive clutch goal when the rest of the team was flat.

Those are not facts. They are your opinions that you are trying to spin as facts.

You know what are the facts?

Keslers is:

Our alt captain who was once considered to take over the captaincy from luongo

a strong two way forward with offensive upsides.

A selke winner and finalist in two other years

now you can use your opinions and express how you think a forward like Kesler isn't elite and belongs to the third line. But remember, it will always be your opinions. NOT facts.

Now before you waste any more of my time, remember to be able to tell the difference between opinions and facts.

Edited by Piggy1983, 25 February 2013 - 12:02 PM.

#133 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,484 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

Coming back from a serious injury, I fully expected his first 10 games to be fairly poor, and his next 10 to still be below average.

He hasn't been very good, but that should be expected at game 6. If he's still not playing well in April, then I'll start to get worried.
Posted Image

#134 adniel_g

adniel_g

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Those are not facts. They are your opinions that you are trying to spin as facts.

You know what are the facts?

Keslers is:

Our alt captain who was once considered to take over the captaincy from luongo

a strong two way forward with offensive upsides.

A selke winner and finalist in two other years

now you can use your opinions and express how you think a forward like Kesler isn't elite and belongs to the third line. But remember, it will always be your opinions. NOT facts.

Now before you waste any more of my time, remember to be able to tell the difference between opinions and facts.

lol I never said they are STATS or ACHIEVEMENTS
So you are saying that its my opinion that Kesler dives and it is my opinion that he is not one of the better passing centers in the league?
I am just lazy to youtube/find/accumulate the numbers, I did not think you or anyone would fight me on that.

#135 Nuxin07

Nuxin07

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

I am FAR from a Kesler fan, but you have to give the guy more then 6-7 games to find his game, especially after such a long time off and a major surgery.
"No I don't think we need one designated guy to only come out against a guy who plays 3 minutes a game and watches Pinky & the Brain." - Alain Vigneault

"When you take out a guy wearing the C for a team north of the border, that's like whacking a made guy in the mob. You just don't do it." - Ross Bernstein, author of "The Code: The Unwritten Rules of Fighting and Retaliation in the NHL", regarding Steve Moore's hit on Markus Naslund.

RIP Luc Bourdon 1987-2008

#136 adniel_g

adniel_g

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

I am FAR from a Kesler fan, but you have to give the guy more then 6-7 games to find his game, especially after such a long time off and a major surgery.

No one is (atleast I am not) denying Kesler is a great player. The points being made are that even when he is healthy, his abilities as a center are limited and that he is more suited to the wing.

#137 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

This thread is so severely underrated. You should be a coach.
July 7-2013

View Posttheminister, on 07 July 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

View Postapollo, on 08 July 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#138 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,845 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

Team USA sure thought highly of him to elevate him to the top line in the Olympics with Patrick Kane and Zach Parise.

But I guess CDC says he's overrated so....

Posted Image
Posted Image

#139 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

I'd rather Bergeron due to the Canadianness, consistency and lack of diving, but Kesler is most definitely worth his contract.
July 7-2013

View Posttheminister, on 07 July 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

View Postapollo, on 08 July 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#140 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#141 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Is it only me who finds it annoying that if you critisize a player on the team almost everyone will call the poster band wagooner or only post a face palm. I thought the poiny of the forum is to share your opinion on the team.

And regarding Keslers play, he hasn't been the same as he waa his Selke season, but he has been having injury problems, give him some time. If he doesn't come back to his game maybe the Canucks management should consider trading him.

its also to start flame wars, burn underperforming players at the stake, mini-mod, and be a spelling nazi.

point*
was*
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#142 ghjffbali

ghjffbali

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

I would rather have Kesler get in the box for dropping the gloves rather than embarrassing himself and the team with his diving antics. Also, it's not like our PP was going to do anything based on how it has been since the start of the season.

#143 literaphile

literaphile

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

You know you can criticize a player without turning him into a "whipping boy", right? And you know that criticism can actually lead to insightful discussion, right? Instead of going off-topic, why not address the point at hand - Kesler's play?

#144 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

I myself am not trying to be critical of Ryan as much as AV for not trying him on the wing. Ryan is not a passing center but he is a good player. We need a passing center to make our second line better. If we had a more effective second line it would take a lot of the checking off the twins in the playoffs. Trade that Lou kid for a second line center.

#145 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

You know you can criticize a player without turning him into a "whipping boy", right? And you know that criticism can actually lead to insightful discussion, right? Instead of going off-topic, why not address the point at hand - Kesler's play?

yes, a thread such as Kesler is a severely overrated player is such an insightful discussion that would lead off to insightful criticism such as "kesler is not a good center.", "kesler is would make a good third line center.', or here is my favorite, "Kesler makes his linemates bad".

we are talking about a guy who came off from 2 surgeries in the last 1.5 seasons, who scored 40 goals 2 seasons ago, won the selke award and was a finalist for another 2 seasons... A linemate with wingers like Raymond and Samuelsson in their broke out seasons...

and here, you are suggesting that we should have an insightful discussion explaining how a 40 goal selke winning center is a good centre and he's still adjusting from all the downtime from injuries?

really cdc? really?

#146 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,133 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

YUPZ, COMPLETLYEYZ OVRZRATTED! TRADZ HIMS GILLIZZ!!!

In case you couldn't tell, I hate this thread more than any other.
Kinda hot in these rhinos.

You are a worse psychiatrist than you are a son in law, and you will never get work as an actor because you have no talent.

#147 adniel_g

adniel_g

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

YUPZ, COMPLETLYEYZ OVRZRATTED! TRADZ HIMS GILLIZZ!!!

In case you couldn't tell, I hate this thread more than any other.

Why waste your time then? :picard:

#148 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Many seem to forget that kesler played literally on one leg for the team in the 2010 playoffs

2moy3iq.png

#149 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

Not overrated but perhaps under-utilised.

The knock is his offensive production, particularly 5 on 5. He is not a set-up centerman and not offensively gifted in the moves department to beat many defenders 1 on 1. Where he is very effective is in finding open ice for his quick release shot. That would make hime a very effective winger for a set-up guy like Schroeder (or Hank). Schroeder sees the ice very well and is a great passer, capable of getting the puck through lanes to the shooter and at speed!

I would like to see him tried on the wing with Schroeder on the line. Who takes face-offs doesn't matter but setting up their offensive attack based on Kes on the wing could be effective.

Kes could also do PP and PK time.

I dont see this as a demotion for Kesler but perhaps a better allocation of assets.

#150 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

I completely agree with the OP. I've been saying this for a long time. Not only is he overrated, he's so full of himself, has so much attitude. I think he is an ideal 3rd line centre but not 2nd line. One thing I could never understand is, why can't the coaching staff move him to the wing? The guy has a winger's mentality. As a centre, he has no idea when to get the puck to his wingers, never passes, has no on ice vision. Cody Hodgson never wanted out of Vancouver, he just wanted more playing time, so why couldn't they move Hodgson to second line centre and move Kesler to the wing? is the coaching staff scared of this prima donna?

I say we should do what the Flyers did couple years ago with Richards and Carter and trade Kesler. His value is still high and we can get a similar return for him as Richards and Carter. A top prospect or top 6 fwd and a 1st round pick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.