Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Kesler Severely Over-Rated- Do We Really Want Him?

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#181 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

It will be interesting to see what this thread looks like in a month from now. I think it will be similar to: "Burrows, do we really need him?" I suspect there will be some embarrassed fans around here.

Just as with Raymond, disregarding Kes' injuries/surgeries will come back to bite all these people with 'knee jerk' reactions. I'm pretty sure his game will be much improved in a few weeks (just like his health).

#182 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

Just as with Raymond, disregarding Kes' injuries/surgeries will come back to bite all these people with 'knee jerk' reactions. I'm pretty sure his game will be much improved in a few weeks (just like his health).

Most of the comments revolve around his diving and whining... that isn't just a thing that has happened for a few games. It has been his entire career EXCEPT for a short stint where he just played like a beast (and amusingly enough drew more penalties than doing the nonsense stuff).

I think everyone would like the beast-mode Kesler... it is just that he doesn't seem to be able to be that guy enough.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#183 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

I don't like his diving and whining either, but I think it's related to his frustration of not being able to play like he can. As I mentioned, it will take a few weeks before he is game ready.

The beast mode will be there in time for the playoffs.

#184 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

Kessler has no mental toughness, when something doesn't go his way he sulks and then starts to whine which then results in diving and poor play. In short, he's easy to get off his game cause he lets emotion severely affect his play, most times in a bad way. Ie. refs miss a call

Posted Image

#185 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

Kessler has no mental toughness, when something doesn't go his way he sulks and then starts to whine which then results in diving and poor play. In short, he's easy to get off his game cause he lets emotion severely affect his play, most times in a bad way. Ie. refs miss a call

LOL, this is gold. Kesler is our heart and soul player. You only need to watch the entire 2011 playoffs to see what kind of player Kesler is. Give the guy some time to get up to game speed, and he will be fine!
:towel:

#186 Goalscorer

Goalscorer

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

LOL, this is gold. Kesler is our heart and soul player. You only need to watch the entire 2011 playoffs to see what kind of player Kesler is. Give the guy some time to get up to game speed, and he will be fine!

Watch the 2011 playoffs to see what kind of player Kesler was... Maybe he finds that form again, maybe he doesn't. Don't discount the injuries he has battled through,it's quite possible that we never see him at that level again.

#187 shiznak

shiznak

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,267 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

I say you're talking purely out your butt. Such things are rather easy to check.....

09/10 playing 2nd pp with Raymond and Samuelsson 12 of Keslers 75 points came from the pp. In 10/11 playing 1st pp with the Sedins 15 of his 73 points came from the pp. You could say the Sedins made Kesler better BUT his pp ice time increased from 2:45 per game on the 2nd pp in 09/10 to 3:37 per game the following year on the 1st pp. What this means is he was actually less efficient on the 1st pp with the mighty Sedins. His pp ice time increased 31.5% while his pp production only increased 25%. To make matters worse, the 2nd pp unit took a nose dive with Malhotra in Keslers place. Raymond went from 8 of his 53 points from the pp with Kesler to 2 of his 39 points on the pp with Malhotra. Which would indicate Kesler indeed made the 2nd pp, and the line mates there, better.

As a matter of fact I can make a solid case that it was Kesler that made the Sedins better on the pp. In 09/10 only 8 of Daniels 85 points came on the pp while only 4 of Henriks 112 points were from the PP without Kesler. In 10/11 Daniel had 18 of his 104 points on the pp while Henrik had 8 of his 94 from the pp with Kesler. What is the common factor in the 2nd unit taking a drop on the pp while the 1st pp became much better? Answer: Kesler.

Check your numbers, again buddy.

Kesler had 26 out of his 75 points off the PP in 09/10.

30 out of his 73 points in 10/11.

3blms.png

#188 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

PAAANIC MODE ACTIVATED!

61c1f524-b05e-4da1-b54d-e7ac1d87c904.jpg

#189 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

His ability to get injured is severely underrated

Posted Image

#190 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

Should of kept Hodgson and Traded Kesler :bigblush:

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#191 SergioMomesso

SergioMomesso

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Zero playmaking ability. That's all I have to say.
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:5584]

#192 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

That would not have been a bad idea, we could have had a great return on Ryan (better then zack) and hodgson is more then capable of being a second line center on the nucks.

#193 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

It's difficult to answer the question as it is difficult to rate a player that is always injured.

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#194 garthsbutcher

garthsbutcher

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

BINGO!!!!!!

#195 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

That's what I was saying back when the trade went down.

Now look at Cody and look at Kessler.

Sad face.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#196 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

Great player but injury prone.

#197 CrippledCanuck

CrippledCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

The only thing that could make this thread more ridiculous is if it was titled "Kesler do we really need him"

#198 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

It will be interesting to see what this thread looks like in a month from now. I think it will be similar to: "Burrows, do we really need him?" I suspect there will be some embarrassed fans around here.

in 1 month it will be the same thing...
"he's rusty, give him some time"

Posted Image

#199 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

in 1 month it will be the same thing...
"he's rusty, give him some time"

Well, we'll never know now, will we? This latest injury will set him back again.

#200 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

Actually, he has the playmaking ability, he just thinks he's too good to pass. Look at his first year when he broke out, he got 25 goals but had 50 assists.
Posted Image

#201 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Just take him off shootouts. Please.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#202 Apple Juice

Apple Juice

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

granted its NYI but even they wouldn't be that stupid. TAVARES craps over both those players. Plus NYI is ok with Nabby and Thomas [if they manage to dress him]

Yes but they need a goalie to start out with. Poulin is decent but he can't carry the team on his back when they need him to. Nabokov's going to retire. Dipietro will be bought out this offseason. They had that one breakout with Nathan Smith but he's no longer on their team.. They clearly need help goaltending wise and they've got Ryan Strome who's going to be ready in a couple years.. It's a good move for both of us but I don't see the Islanders taking it.

#203 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

Yes! Get well soon!
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#204 The Secret

The Secret

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

I don't think a lot of people quite understand his situation. In my opinion he realistically won't be as goodhe as he was when he scored 40 goals.

My reason is dedicated to his surgeries, you have to take into consideration he hasn't just had one surgery; he's had multiple. A person who's had their body surgically tampered with (cut open and re-tooled) will never be the same. It won't ever feel the same when he puts weight on that part of his body. The force he was once able to dispense prior to his surgeries was his capability, but now...no he won't feel the same.

I like Kesler, the only thing I can hope to believe in, is adrenaline and the playoffs. If he's got some steel and a serious chip on his shoulders in the playoffs he can fight through the pain. If not he needs to go. Just put yourself in the same situation it's gotta be f#@%ed

#205 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

I don't think a lot of people quite understand his situation. In my opinion he realistically won't be as goodhe as he was when he scored 40 goals.

My reason is dedicated to his surgeries, you have to take into consideration he hasn't just had one surgery; he's had multiple. A person who's had their body surgically tampered with (cut open and re-tooled) will never be the same. It won't ever feel the same when he puts weight on that part of his body. The force he was once able to dispense prior to his surgeries was his capability, but now...no he won't feel the same.

I like Kesler, the only thing I can hope to believe in, is adrenaline and the playoffs. If he's got some steel and a serious chip on his shoulders in the playoffs he can fight through the pain. If not he needs to go. Just put yourself in the same situation it's gotta be f#@%ed

Yep, major surgery will have an effect on his overall game.

I can only hope that he understands that whatever abilities he loses, he can make up for it by transforming into a different role that still helps the team.

A good example would be Yzerman and Modano.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.