The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coaching decisions

miles.p

Nuck, nice to have you back. You were gone for awhile there.

I'm not worried about this game, I am worried about the playoffs, re-occuring problems are.. well re-occuring with AV, if you want regular season success, he's your man, but if you want a coach that will make the difference in the playoffs. I'm not so sure.

Actually it wasn't very successful. We got absolutely dominated by Chicago and Cory Schneider alone stole us a point, The Dallas game wasn't great, we started out like pylons defensively and had some other bad moments, the NSH game was a snoozefest. And tonight our poor defensive play was exploited since we didn't get top notch goaltending.

This team is carried by goaltending, and with a team with this much talent and depth, it shouldn't be.

The goaltending hasn't been relied on to carry the team and as the deciding factor on whether we win or lose in the past 2 years like we have this year.

Just like the Canucks, they seem to be stuck in the hopes off that next year will be different. The thing is when you look outside of the team to find faults, you will find them, but to do so you are overlooking your own teams deficiencies.

Now look at what @/user/20475-canuck73-3/">canuck73_3 said: "missing their top scorer, has a 2nd line centre that needs 2 surgeries, 2 of their top 6 defenseman injured as well..."

This guy is so confident that the Canucks would have won it all outside those injuries. But he fails to overlook the events preeding to the downfall in the first round. Prior to making the playoffs, the canucks won the PT simply because other team couldn't get it done. Also, they were coming into the playoffs with no momentum. They were playing .500 hockey by the time they made the playoffs.

Again, you can always find someone else to blame for your own fault, but at the end, it won't let you go anywhere. The reason why AV has failed 6 out of 7 times, is cause he (along with the rest of the coaching staff and management) always blame the fault on something else. Real winners go out and take it with no excuses.

NEXT.

Realize, Luongo has been here every single season that AV has been here. The first season AV employed a solid defensive system because our offense was horrendous, but it's quite clear that goaltending is the reason AV won that Jack Adams trophy. I think he did a pretty good job in the 10-11 season, but his message is not getting through anymore. It is time for a change. We have the players to get the job done and it is time for AV and co. to go.

I still think that AV is a good coach, and is probably the right coach for the core of this team right now. He's basically grown with the core group of this team, coming up from the Moose with Juice, Kes, and Burr. There's a lot of trust in these guys along with the twins to run the room, do things the right way, and to generally show new teammates the Vancouver way. Not sure how any new coach would go over with the core.

Having said that, the embarrassment yesterday was eerily similar and reminded me of the blowouts in Boston in the finals a couple of years ago where it seemed that when there was a bit of adversity, be it a bad call by the ref or the shifts following a goal scored by the other team when the crowd was rockin, our team just seemed to implode. I'm not saying that those blow outs in Beantown and last night's debacle were AV's fault, but the apparent inability to make adjustments or stem the tide is worrisome.

For example, in the Detroit game last night, why not call a time out at some point to settle things down. Why not pull Lui when, notwithstanding the goals that went in off other players, it was very evident early on in the game that he didn't have his "A" game last night. He seemed off balance, was on his knees a lot, and generally seemed to be guessing on many shots. Putting Schneids in when it was still a close game (assuming he doesn't have the flu like Booth does) could have stemmed Detroit's momentum and might have made a difference. This is when coaching can make a difference.

Maybe it's not the coaching at all but the players we have, in which case we have bigger problems. Either way, it doesn't in-still much confidence that things will be any different again with this group come the playoffs this year when you see how they again reacted to adversity last night.

Thanks Smashian. Good to be back.

You make great points regarding Vigneault. He is a regular season coach. He has no place coaching this core of players anymore. It should seem obvious to any Canuck fan that he lacks the ability to get this team to the next level.

Compound that with his poor use of the media to call out his players and you have a coach that has run his course here. I can only hope that Gillis strikes while the iron is hot and gets Lindy Ruff to consider the job. Lindy has been an excellent coach and his hockey knowledge and dedication is exactly what we need to get to the next level.

Your point regarding the Canucks relying on goaltending too much is spot on as well.

A coach like Ruff does not come along often. If MG passes on yet another highly talented coach and AV flames out again this year in the playoffs, they will probably BOTH be fired.

Why do you think Ruff got fired? To preserve Regier's job I bet.

MG can only keep doing the same thing for so long before ownership demands a change somewhere. Does Gillis want it to be him?

I also think that people can only point to regular season success against a weak division and say it is impossible to fire AV for so long too. The issues that have killed this team in the playoffs are still alive and well and their play this season shows it.

Why waste another year hoping for a different result?

A coach like Ruff does not come along often. If MG passes on yet another highly talented coach and AV flames out again this year in the playoffs, they will probably BOTH be fired.

Why do you think Ruff got fired? To preserve Regier's job I bet.

MG can only keep doing the same thing for so long before ownership demands a change somewhere. Does Gillis want it to be him?

I also think that people can only point to regular season success against a weak division and say it is impossible to fire AV for so long too. The issues that have killed this team in the playoffs are still alive and well and their play this season shows it.

Why waste another year hoping for a different result?

You assume a lot. Your first assumption is that Ruff is just eagerly waiting to be hired by the Canucks. He lives back east and I bet doesn't want to be that far from his family etc.

Lets say we do get Ruff and the result is a first or second round loss... is it now time to fire Ruff? Ruff had many chances with Buffalo to bring a cup there, he couldn't... why would people think he is more likely to bring the Cup to Vancouver than AV? The Exact same reasons everyone wants AV gone are the reasons Ruff lost his job :picard:

But I guess the CDC GM of the Minnesota Wild is more of an expert than Gillis, hey you should want Gillis to keep AV that way when he gets fired I am sure you're the next in line for GM of the Canucks :rolleyes:

Archived