The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coaching decisions

miles.p

Worse than the Panthers? Jets? Capitals? Leafs? give me a break. Buffalo has a decent roster at least its not a bottom of the barrel roster.

Yah cause emotional outbursts of anger always goes over so well with the officials.

Yah AV chews gum... so what? You honestly believe he doesn't say anything at all on the bench?

Luongo is a big boy and his career is not over because he let in 8 against a good Detroit team. Individual stats are great but the most important stats are the team's wins/losses stats.

Worse than the Panthers? Jets? Capitals? Leafs? give me a break. Buffalo has a decent roster at least its not a bottom of the barrel roster.

Yah cause emotional outbursts of anger always goes over so well with the officials.

Yah AV chews gum... so what? You honestly believe he doesn't say anything at all on the bench?

Luongo is a big boy and his career is not over because he let in 8 against a good Detroit team. Individual stats are great but the most important stats are the team's wins/losses stats.

Please just stop. It's pretty clear you can't do what you demand of others...make a structured argument backed by evidence. You've not made a single coherent argument for keeping AV. You simply find fault with other posts, which is both lame and lazy.

Hey Aladeen, I admire your perseverance, (and 36 yrs as well) but I've been around for quite a few of these threads and they're really nothing more than a circle-jerk for the resident CDC He-Man AV haters club.

What you have is a bunch of armchair experts that are so sure they've got the formula that will finally bring the Canucks that elusive Cup, they're willing to claim that they understand the situation better than actual professional hockey people like Mike Gillis. (When you point this out to them, they usually claim that Gillis really wants to fire AV, but "it would make him look bad" or some such garbage.)

The fact is, none of these naysayers have any sort of relevant hockey credentials, so anything they say should be taken with a large grain of salt.

You've fought the good fight mate and for that I give you props, but you're yelling into the wind in these types of threads. In the end just be secure in the knowledge that Mike Gillis doesn't share the heavily slanted opinions of the "fire AV" crowd.

I'm sorry, please point me to a single fricken thing of value to any thread that you've posted. You are probably an alternate account for one of these other AV hating posters. At any rate out of your 33 post I suspect a whopping zero have anything to do with what thread they were actually in.

I get sick of repeating myself here (what you accuse me of is exactly what you do with every post) but here are your coherent arguements for keeping AV, I will keep them as simple as possible so even you can understand ( :picard: to myself for even responding to you):

1. AV's win loss record - Really this is all that matters since a winning coach > than a losing coach any day of the week.

2. Who are we going to replace him with? Ruff? Noel? Crow? Keenan? I fail to see you showing why these guys will take the Canucks to the Stanley Cup.

3. Why is it so imperitive to do it right now? Last I checked the Canucks still have a chance at making the playoffs. :rolleyes:

4. Av always handles himself well with the media, if we had a guy like Torts there would be never ending controversy surrounding this team (although that is still the case it would be way worse)

5. Look at the hardware (albeit regular season) that the Canucks have recieved since AV took over coaching. Is that just a coincidence or did maybe he have something to do with it.

6. Ulitmately change just for the sake of change is not necessarily good. We can't predict how a drastic change in this club will affect player performance. At least with AV we can bank on the fact that we will get to the post season which is the only possible way a team can win a Stanley Cup.

7. Interviews with the core players of this team have shown that they have nothing but positive things to say about AV. The Sedin's seem to like him and that can only be a good thing.

8. He is signed to a contract, while I am sure it is NP for Aquilini to buyout it is still a commitment made and should be honored unless the Canucks are just tanking which they haven't.

Ultimately I am sick of these threads popping up (surprisingly) after every loss... and are conviently absent after wins or win streaks.

So there you have it I eagerly anticipate your insightful and witting response.

You missed the obvious point that this team is starting to tune him out evidenced by uninspired play. That's reason enough to make the change. According to your logic, the only time to fire him is when the team has a losing record in the regular season. I don't see the value in waiting until that happens to make the change. That's my opinion informed by decades of playing and being a fan of this sport. Your rather petty retorts fail to acknowledge that others can have valid opinions that differ from yours. Chill out dude...it's a message board. Practice the logic skills you picked up at community college someplace where people give a crap.

I think what Barry Trotz has done with the ever revolving roster and limited cap budget most years is more impressive than what AV has done with a stacked, deep team in Vancouver, even if Nashville hasn't been as successful. Yes, his regular season winning percentage number's are good, but the fact of the matter is when the going gets tough in the playoffs, he has no answer and often gets out-coached. It happened twice vs Chicago when the Canucks even had series leads (even gave up a 3-0 lead and made zero adjustments and lucked out with a gutsy game 7 win), happened vs LA, Boston, etc. etc. I don't think he deserves the chances he's getting after so many failed playoff runs. Most that stop before they ever get going.

So are you sick of it or do you eagerly anticipate it? Which one Aladeen?

Your arguments are not based in fact, merely your skewed opinion. Do me a favour and instead of acting like a complete a$$ when someone posts something you don't agree with, try to state your case without insulting others.

I can only assume in person that you are the antithesis of who you are here.

You missed the obvious point that this team is starting to tune him out evidenced by uninspired play. That's reason enough to make the change. According to your logic, the only time to fire him is when the team has a losing record in the regular season. I don't see the value in waiting until that happens to make the change. That's my opinion informed by decades of playing and being a fan of this sport. Your rather petty retorts fail to acknowledge that others can have valid opinions that differ from yours. Chill out dude...it's a message board. Practice the logic skills you picked up at community college someplace where people give a crap.

I think what Barry Trotz has done with the ever revolving roster and limited cap budget most years is more impressive than what AV has done with a stacked, deep team in Vancouver, even if Nashville hasn't been as successful. Yes, his regular season winning percentage number's are good, but the fact of the matter is when the going gets tough in the playoffs, he has no answer and often gets out-coached. It happened twice vs Chicago when the Canucks even had series leads (even gave up a 3-0 lead and made zero adjustments and lucked out with a gutsy game 7 win), happened vs LA, Boston, etc. etc. I don't think he deserves the chances he's getting after so many failed playoff runs. Most that stop before they ever get going.

Every team competes for the cup you idiot. It's the level of competition that counts, and every post season exit resulted from a lack of competition. If you're satisfied with regular season success, great. Go gloat on the message boards for LA, Chicago and Boston and see if you get any sympathy there for AV's greatness. I'm sure not one single person would reply with "and how many cup rings does he have?" Not to mention, how each of the above teams beat the Canucks, in part, because they out coached them to get that cup ring.

Rupert,

Please do me a favor and get off your high horse. You made generalized negative statements regarding the "fire AV" crowd within the thread. Circle jerk? Real mature. Or perhaps you speak from experience?

You are no better than Aladeen who seems to relish in cutting others down (poorly I might add). For a 52 year old, I would expect better.

I don't care how long you have been on the CDC or whether or not you have ever been banned. What do you want? A cookie for being a good boy?

Its interesting to see that the majority of AV haters would love to see Ruff as a replacement for AV citing that he gets great results with lesser players.

Vanek

Miller

Erhoff

Hodgson we'll take his name off the list as to not provoke further controversy.

Pominville

Ennis

Stafford

Myers

Regher

Ott

Grigorenko

One thing I can say with absolute confidence is if AV had that team to work with, they wouldn't be in the sub sub basement of the Eastern Conference.

I call 'em as I see 'em.

Like Aladeen says, these threads inevitably pop up after a Canuck loss and after three years of reading the same tired arguments, there really is nothing to do but call a spade a spade.

Your "cookie" comment pretty much shows your age, BTW. The fact is, if I did as much "cutting down" as you claim, there isn't much chance that I'd avoid the banhammer for so long. Meanwhile, if you actually read the posts in this thread, you'll see others on your side of the argument using the words "Developmentally disabled" and "morons", just to name two.

There is a difference between winning in the regular season and winning in the playoffs.......and this Canucks team has underscored that point many times over the past several seasons. Something has to give because if they play the way they are now in he playoffs they will not get far.

But for a few bounces, this team could be closer to the bottom than the top. And that doesn't tend to work come playoff time.

So are you sick of it or do you eagerly anticipate it? Which one Aladeen?

Your arguments are not based in fact, merely your skewed opinion. Do me a favour and instead of acting like a complete a$$ when someone posts something you don't agree with, try to state your case without insulting others.

I can only assume in person that you are the antithesis of who you are here.

Threads pop up after losses all the time.......that does not mean the arguments to change coaches have not been the same for the last year and a half. I think it cheapens you to suggest that anyone wanting to change coaches is relying on one regular season loss as their rationale for that.

And the arguments to keep AV are just as tiresome and old as well. The one certainty here is that the playoff issues of the past several years are still there now. Unless that magically changes the Canucks will be in tough in the playoffs again.

i doubt lindy ruff would come here as an assistant coach, if he did that would be great and it would put some pressure on AV.

I also wouldnt be opposed to bring back marc crawford, he had good success here without an elite goalie. When montreal brought back their coach for a second time alot of ppl questioned the move, but so far it looks like the team is doing well under him.

I think crawford could have some success here if he were to return, Ruff is another obvious choice.

All i will say is you dont need to have a current established coach take over, Pittsburgh fired their coach and brought in Bylsma, he had no previous nhl coaching experience.

So you can bring in a fresh face or change coaches during a year and have success. Like i stated before with LA bringing in Sutter last year and look what happened...

Archived