The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coaching decisions

miles.p

Honestly, I know that with the way the team is right now, we have ZERO chance of winning the cup so lately, I have begun to embrace the losses because the more our playoff future is in jeopardy, the better the likelyhood of AV getting fired.

All you homers can point your finger at me and question my love for the Canucks but what you need to understand is that I feel this way because I do love this team and know that this team is capable of performing much better with a better coach.

Our elite talent and effort used to win games like tonight however, it should be apparent that our system has been figured out by the better coached teams in this league, our effort level has come down and now we are just relying on natural talent to win games.

We've tried tweaking this team year after year. The only thing that hasn't been done is to get a new coach. So all you AV lovers out there, why would you continually do the same thing over and over again and continue to fail when we can try something new in hopes that a coaching change might be the missing ingredient?

Do you have that much faith in AV that you would rather try a major shakeup like trading Kesler rather than trying a new coach?

If not a major shakeup, and not replacing the coaching, what's the best plan? minor tweaks again and hope for the best???

I'm a true believer in that teams will play the way they practice. I consider regular season a practice for the Canucks. For those that think the Canucks will simply flip the switch come playoffs are in for a rude awakening.

There's only 2 scenarios folks.

Either our team is not as good as we thought OR simply they are not achieving their potential.

My hope is that the problem is the latter. If our problem is scenario 1, we are in a far worse position to win a cup as that would mean we need to pull of some major trades to be in contention again.

If the problem is us not playing to our potential, then the quickest and easiest fix is to switch up the coaching.

The Canucks have become WAY too predictable in the way they play and you will see that we struggle against well coached teams. We struggle against, St Louis (Hitchcock), Det (Babcock), Chicago (Quenville), Phoenix (Tippet), Kings (Sutter). All these teams come in with a game plan because we only know how to play one way. Most of us that watch every game know exactly where the puck will go when its in our zone. I find myself already fully knowing what our players will do BEFORE they make their move to get the puck out of our zone. Well guess what? So do the other teams.

For instance, tonight, I saw the Coyotes players cheat many times to the boards just waiting for the reverse or the usual chip up the boards towards the blue line. They were there ahead of the play just waiting for a nice tape to tape pass from our d-man.

Now for those that think the playoffs will be different are in complete denial. In the playoffs, it will be even tougher against a well coached team because they know our system inside out and have 7 games to execute what they practice.

In our cup run, the Nashville series REALLY stood out to me because on paper, Nashville should have been swept by us. However, they were successfully able to shut down the Sedins and it took a beast mode solo performance from Kesler to beat them. What Kesler did in that series is NOT coachable and that's why Nashville did not have an answer for Kesler. They didn't have a game plan for the unpredictable play of Kesler (where he simply beat them with skill NOT system) where as they knew EXACTLY what to expect from the Sedins.

So, to summarize, without a coaching change or an addition of a game breaker, it should be obvious that this year will be no different from any other year.

Honestly, I know that with the way the team is right now, we have ZERO chance of winning the cup so lately, I have begun to embrace the losses because the more our playoff future is in jeopardy, the better the likelyhood of AV getting fired.

All you homers can point your finger at me and question my love for the Canucks but what you need to understand is that I feel this way because I do love this team and know that this team is capable of performing much better with a better coach.

Our elite talent and effort used to win games like tonight however, it should be apparent that our system has been figured out by the better coached teams in this league, our effort level has come down and now we are just relying on natural talent to win games.

We've tried tweaking this team year after year. The only thing that hasn't been done is to get a new coach. So all you AV lovers out there, why would you continually do the same thing over and over again and continue to fail when we can try something new in hopes that a coaching change might be the missing ingredient?

Do you have that much faith in AV that you would rather try a major shakeup like trading Kesler rather than trying a new coach?

If not a major shakeup, and not replacing the coaching, what's the best plan? minor tweaks again and hope for the best???

I think the Canucks losing is a means to an end because that also would mean change would be coming.

The ultimate goal is the Stanley Cup, not another Presidents trophy

I could turn the argument around and say that you are not a fan because you like the team being stuck in mediocrity and a true fan should hope for better from their beloved team.

Do you honestly think that the Canucks as they are are good enough to win the cup?

Please give me an honest response. I'm curious.

I think the Canucks losing is a means to an end because that also would mean change would be coming.

The ultimate goal is the Stanley Cup, not another Presidents trophy

I could turn the argument around and say that you are not a fan because you like the team being stuck in mediocrity and a true fan should hope for better from their beloved team.

Do you honestly think that the Canucks as they are are good enough to win the cup?

Please give me an honest response. I'm curious.

I live in Calgary and I find it laughable when my co-workers are scoreboard watching and hoping their team makes the playoffs because they think exactly like you do, ANYTHING can happen in the playoffs.

the LA Kings are an anomoly. Anything CANNOT really happen.

LA had Quick, Doughty, Brown, Kopitar, Richards, Carter, Gagne, Williams, Stoll, Mitchell

They were underachieving for such a stacked roster and it finally took a coaching change to make them perform.

Although they were 8th seed, clearly they were a better team that required a better coach.

The Canucks also have a stacked team on paper and I think it's pretty clear that they are not playing up to their capabilities.

So if a coaching change is not required, what is needed to make this team perform up to their potential?

I live in Calgary and I find it laughable when my co-workers are scoreboard watching and hoping their team makes the playoffs because they think exactly like you do, ANYTHING can happen in the playoffs.

the LA Kings are an anomoly. Anything CANNOT really happen.

LA had Quick, Doughty, Brown, Kopitar, Richards, Carter, Gagne, Williams, Stoll, Mitchell

They were underachieving for such a stacked roster and it finally took a coaching change to make them perform.

Although they were 8th seed, clearly they were a better team that required a better coach.

The Canucks also have a stacked team on paper and I think it's pretty clear that they are not playing up to their capabilities.

So if a coaching change is not required, what is needed to make this team perform up to their potential?

Maybe you're right, maybe firing AV solves all the problems on this team, but where is the guarantee? Do you guarantee a Cup if we had Ruff, Noel, Arniel? Its just as likely that it has the opposite effect and we will be in the exact same position a couple years down the road when Ruff has failed to deliver a cup or the Canucks have missed the playoffs yet again under the coaching of Arniel.

You completely ignored my questions after I answered yours.

Look you're just the same as these other poster blinded by what you THINK are the problems when in reality you have no clue what goes on in the dressing room.

Maybe you're right, maybe firing AV solves all the problems on this team, but where is the guarantee? Do you guarantee a Cup if we had Ruff, Noel, Arniel? Its just as likely that it has the opposite effect and we will be in the exact same position a couple years down the road when Ruff has failed to deliver a cup or the Canucks have missed the playoffs yet again under the coaching of Arniel.

One thing you're right about though is it will take missing the playoffs for AV to be fired. And something I can guarantee is that no team in NHL history (and please correct me if I am wrong) has won the cup while missing the playoffs.

If you can't understand this concept then you don't have the slightest clue about hockey. And as for hoping your team tanks and missing a year of contention for the cup just so you can get some satisfaction of seeing a man you don't respect fired is about the most pathetic thing I have encountered on CDC (and that is saying a hell of a lot)

Edit: and do you know why your Calgary friends hope their team makes the playoffs? because they have seen first hand what a team can do by squeaking into the playoffs.

Our elite talent and effort used to win games like tonight however, it should be apparent that our top line has been figured out by the teams in this league, our effort level has come down and now we are just relying on luck to win games.

Since the Canucks didn't lose it is not really an upset.

It is without a doubt one of the worst collapses ever in the playoffs though, that is for sure. And no small part of it was adjustments by Chicago to take advantage of holes in AV's strategy. AV is very fortunate for that Burrows goal.......his inability to counteract the changes the Hawks made was just as much responsible for that debacle as anything else.

Really? We can't even say that anymore? Not even when we're talkimg about an exceptionally obtuse wall?

I'm glad to know the new rules.

Wwhen AV is fired, and that day will come, we'l look back at this and laugh. We'll I will. AV homers will quietly whimper in the corner somewhere while the neww coash and Corey Schneider bring Vancouver the Cup.

You can say whatever you want. However, if you are calling someone "developmentally disabled", you shouldn't be whining about being referred to as an "armchair expert"....

As far as your second paragraph goes, I agree, AV will eventually be fired. I'll be as interested as you to see whether the new coach, whoever he is (Although, from what I read in this thread, it doesn't really matter. It could be anybody) automatically guarantees a Stanley Cup.

I said this earlier in the thread, ut apparently, it bears repeating:

There was another team that was one goal away from losing in round one. See if you can guess what team that was....

You could do that, but it would be a silly thing to say. Wanting to keep the current head coach, is not tantamount to "liking the team being stuck in mediocrity".

Everyone hopes for better from their favorite team. However, "hoping for better" doesn't include deciding that we have the inside track on what would be the best personnel decisions for a professional hockey team for all of us....

Archived