The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coaching decisions

miles.p

So it sounds like you are advocating that AV's style doesnt fit this team...

Shouldn't that mean we should be looking for a coach that better fits this team? Because after all, we added more talent as you admitted but he was able to achieve more with a bunch of grinders.

It sounds like you are calling AV a one trick pony. One that only knows how to work with a defensive system.

First of all, why not look at last year's numbers instead of 2 years ago?

Secondly, your method for calculation is off...

It helps to know your thought process so I can help you

I'm not interested in doing the long research to teach you statistical analysis but I will give you a quick snapshot of what you needed to have done instead of what you actually did.

The problem is you overly simplified the situation which gives an incorrect projection.

First you have to consider the Canucks record within their own division compared to out of their division and consider the weighting of the games.

Secondly, you need to consider the rest of the conference's record against our division (minus the Canucks) compared to their record with the rest of the conference and consider the weighting of the games.

You then take those two scenarios to figure out the true projection...

none of this avg crap...

As you can see, this would take A LOT more work and time involved but it would at least be accurate instead of the mathematical diarrhea that you posted

First of all, why not look at last year's numbers instead of 2 years ago?

Secondly, your method for calculation is off...

It helps to know your thought process so I can help you

I'm not interested in doing the long research to teach you statistical analysis but I will give you a quick snapshot of what you needed to have done instead of what you actually did.

The problem is you overly simplified the situation which gives an incorrect projection.

(1)First you have to consider the Canucks record within their own division compared to out of their division and (2)consider the weighting of the games.

(3)Secondly, you need to consider the rest of the conference's record against our division (minus the Canucks) compared to their record with the rest of the conference and consider the weighting of the games.

You then take those two scenarios to figure out the true projection...

none of this avg crap...

As you can see, this would take A LOT more work and time involved but it would at least be accurate instead of the mathematical diarrhea that you posted

do some of you have office jobs where you can post constantly throughout the day non stop arguin with others? Or are you younger/unemployed.skip school

its amazing how many times some ppl post in a day

fact is since MG has been here and AV they have both failed to make necessary changes, dealt with goalie situation poorly, made some mistakes in trades, while winning some aswell.

End of the day both of these guys should be on the hot seat if we drop an egg and do something similar to last year

(1) You can't have it both ways. The only comparison to make -- YOUR comparison -- is with the teams as it pertains to an unequal weighting. That the Canucks had an above average record against the weaker teams (as to what the overall point totals indicate) is a credit to the Canucks. You don't just gift-wrap them 2 points every time they play the Calgarys of the league, just as you don't knock two points off Chicago every time they play Detroit.

I'm still not at the point where I think AV needs to go, but I heard an interview with Kass in the last couple of days that got me to thinking about it more. In the interview, Kass was asked about how he was dealing with being demoted to the 4th line and had the coaches talked to him about what he needs to do to get back into the top 6. I was shocked to hear him say that the coaches haven't really talked to him at all about what he needs to do.

I realize that this is a veteran team that basically runs itself and from what I've heard AV doesn't even step foot in the dressing room. This may be fine for veterans, but should we be concerned that a young player like Kass isn't getting more hands on coaching and being told exactly what is expected of him or what he should should be doing?

I'm still not at the point where I think AV needs to go, but I heard an interview with Kass in the last couple of days that got me to thinking about it more. In the interview, Kass was asked about how he was dealing with being demoted to the 4th line and had the coaches talked to him about what he needs to do to get back into the top 6. I was shocked to hear him say that the coaches haven't really talked to him at all about what he needs to do.

I realize that this is a veteran team that basically runs itself and from what I've heard AV doesn't even step foot in the dressing room. This may be fine for veterans, but should we be concerned that a young player like Kass isn't getting more hands on coaching and being told exactly what is expected of him or what he should should be doing?

It';s sink or swim for the rookies on AV's team. Some have been able to figure it out with the help of other players (Sedins influenced by Naslund and Sundin) but certainly it was not AV who made them what they are.

Watching the Detroit team the other night with all it's youth (replacements) playing so well against LA I noticed how Babcock was constantly taking the time to pat them on the shoulder and talk to them and explain what he expected. Very refereshing and must be quite a thrill and a comfort to those young guys trying to find their way in the big league.

I can't help but feel angry at how this team is coached and the results it brings us. I also can't help but think how much better we would be with a coach like Babcock. Can't see him leaving Detroit for any reason any time soon.

For those of us frustrated wirh the Canucks being too passive in standing up for themselves and each other, it was refreshing to see a coach Paul Maclean after the Sens game today talking about the Flyers cheap shots against them and how happy that his captain Daniel Alfredsson took a major at the end of the game in response....

"We're not just going to let teams run around and run us and just accept it. We don't expect the referees to protect us, that's not what we're about. We're going to protect ourselves".

We can criticize the players for not responding when Lui got run, Daniel got elbowed or Hank punched Marchand's hand repeatedly with his head all we want, but it starts at the top with the coaching philosophy.

Maclean and Alfy are right of course and certainly makes me embarrassed of our style of play of playing for the power play...at the expense of pride.

For those of us frustrated wirh the Canucks being too passive in standing up for themselves and each other, it was refreshing to see a coach Paul Maclean after the Sens game today talking about the Flyers cheap shots against them and how happy that his captain Daniel Alfredsson took a major at the end of the game in response....

"We're not just going to let teams run around and run us and just accept it. We don't expect the referees to protect us, that's not what we're about. We're going to protect ourselves".

We can criticize the players for not responding when Lui got run, Daniel got elbowed or Hank punched Marchand's hand repeatedly with his head all we want, but it starts at the top with the coaching philosophy.

Maclean and Alfy are right of course and certainly makes me embarrassed of our style of play of playing for the power play...at the expense of pride.

Keith is such a little frack....but why not do it if you are him? You know even our supposed tough Kevin Bieksa who was on the ice would not even answer the bell.

Ballard and Kassian are the only players left on this team who are willing to answer the bell consistently. Bieksa is too busy trying to be Bobby Orr and they gave Volpatti away for nothing. Sestito we will see I guess.

But when you have two guys willing to stand up for other guys and both are doghouse players to the coach, you know where the pansy identity is coming from.

There's something about the general focus of this team that is not like other teams. And while I am impressed with the discipline of the team 75% of the time. The balance between discipline vs intensity is too one sided. There's being cool headed and then there is being emotionally detached. I think the Canucks have been trying so hard to be cool headed for so long, they don't realize that they're emotionally detached.

Marchand on Salo, Keith on Sedin, Getzlaf on Hamhuis, etc... in all these instances, after he play, the team looks lost, as if they don't know what happened and they don't know what to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M25I5rtFjiA

He is, but also take into consideration the NW is the weakest division - the Canucks are the only playoff team in there. He's done fine for the most part, but going against the Bruins in 2011, he's been outcoached by Julien. He's still got room for improvement.

Archived