The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coaching decisions

miles.p

Ballard out

Lapierre on 2nd.

Schroeder on 4th...

If we lost, AV would be chastised for this garbage. But because the Canucks bailed him out like the rest of his career, this gets swept under the rug.

AV owes the Sedins a hell of a lot. They run the show for AV.

Ballard plays leaps and bounds more physical than Garrison, Tanev, Edler, and most of the time Hamhuis.

If we are talking about size, Tanev gets benched. He's the softest.

If we are holding players accountable for one bad game, there are many more games to look at than Ballard vs Phoenix.

If we are talking about Ballard's point production, Alberts? Not Barker?

If we are talking about cliquey bull**** and favoritism, then Ballard gets benched.

Pull your head out, dude, seriously.

I actually liked Alberts in the lineup tonight. He was very effective physically handling the Kings forwards along the boards. His size definitely helped us. Ballard has been playing well and he was inexplicably scratched tonight. I smell a trade...

As for the topic of this thread, how did people feel about AV's strategy to trap in the 3rd?

I was ok with it because it was a 2 goal lead and they have another game tomorrow so it was a good way to spread the ice time.

If this was however a 1 goal game, I wouldnt want us to do this. LA pressured us in our zone the whole period and all it would take is one mistake or bad bounce for a tied game.

Ballard plays leaps and bounds more physical than Garrison, Tanev, Edler, and most of the time Hamhuis.

If we are talking about size, Tanev gets benched. He's the softest.

If we are holding players accountable for one bad game, there are many more games to look at than Ballard vs Phoenix.

If we are talking about Ballard's point production, Alberts? Not Barker?

If we are talking about cliquey bull**** and favoritism, then Ballard gets benched.

Pull your head out, dude, seriously.

I never like turning down the offense with a two-goal lead until there is only a tiny bit of time left in the game. 7 minutes or something. If they score one, it forces the empty net worst case scenario. From there it's anybody's game.

With a game following up tomorrow, it makes more sense. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case far too many times this season, and it's cost us.

The fact that it worked this game worries my. In AV's head, the tactic has regained validity, which means we'll be subject to it more in the near future. Cross your fingers.

It could be a trade in the works...?

Thats my only explanation because he has been the most consistent and steady player so far this season.

AV would actually be a real idiot if he thought taking out Ballard over Garrison and Alberts was the right move.

Alberts is a physical player we brought in to be physical and he DOES IT.

Ballard is an offensively minded defencemen with one assist in 12 games = Bust

Ballard makes 4.2M a year.

Alberts is like 800k then 1.2M or something like that.

BTW Tanev did pretty great tonight without his "mentor"

Just the fact were comparing a guy cracking his third game into the lineup this year, to a 4.2M Ballard is a glaring problem.

He plays more physically than many of our D, sure. But there's a difference between being physical and having a noticeable effect with that physicality. Ballard is small. He throws a hip check once every three games. He's like Bieksa in that he hits, and hits willingly. But the effect on an opponent is negligible. No one is afraid or intimidated by Ballard coming at them in the corner. That's the difference between a Ballard and an Alberts. Ballard and Bieksa -- they'll throw a hit and bounce right off the opponent. And frequently the opponent will retain possession of the puck.

But to all the proponents of "tough guy" hockey, a Bieksa or a Ballard is their guy. They talk tough, they play tough. But often it's like the little yappy dog that you laugh at while you continue robbing the house.

No hate on Ballard. It is what it is.

It's not about whining. It is AV's idiotic way of treating Ballard. Ballard has been one of our best defenseman since the end of last season and he continues to scratch him because of his biased view.

Yes its good that we won but you don't go scratching players that have been very consistent

It's not about whining. It is AV's idiotic way of treating Ballard. Ballard has been one of our best defenseman since the end of last season and he continues to scratch him because of his biased view.

Yes its good that we won but you don't go scratching players that have been very consistent

Win or no win, I still think a coaching change could be beneficial to this team. Yes, the team has had success with AV.. but if they don't get it done in the playoffs this year a coaching change should be considered. It's easier to replace the coaching staff then it is to ship out and bring in players.

Win or no win, I still think a coaching change could be beneficial to this team. Yes, the team has had success with AV.. but if they don't get it done in the playoffs this year a coaching change should be considered. It's easier to replace the coaching staff then it is to ship out and bring in players.

Archived