The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coaching decisions

miles.p

He's not even a top ten coach? That's why he finished 8th in voting by experts who are paid to judge this.

Alright coaches don't win multiple presidents trophies, alright coaches don't win the Jack Adams award, alright coaches don't make Stanley Cup finals appearances. Alright coaches don't consistently finish in the top 10 in the league 5 years running, good coaches do.

SO correct me if I am wrong.

- The success of this team is because of the team, and has nothing to do with AV

- The downfalls of the team are all the fault of AV?

Honestly, if Mike Babcock were fired tomorrow, I would hop right on the bandwagon to fire AV and hire Babcock.

However, AV is still one of the better coaches in the league and there is no real replacements available.

Is he the best coach in the NHL? I don't think anyone would say that. But I think most people would have him hovering around the top-5 every year.

He's basically the Luongo of Coaches. Gets a lot of undue hate, but is still one of the best at what he does.

Did you know, that the winner of the Jack Adams trophy is selected by a poll of the National Hockey League Broadcasters Association, and not by actual experts of... anything?

A terrible team with a stellar coach is still "relatively" terrible. A stellar team makes a terrible coach still "relatively" good.

But you can go ahead and cheer for individual Jack Adams nominations for the coach, I'd rather no trophy except the cup.

One final food for thought, Marc Crawford won the Adams too. Want him back?

Or if you put that much stock in an Adams win, Lindy Ruff has won one as well.

LA struggled against top teams last year and got hot at the right time. As long as you're a playoff contender in March/April your record against winning/losing teams is irrelevant. Getting hot in April and beyond is all that matters, how many times have we seen a team in the playoffs face a team they went 1-3 or 2-4 against in the season only to win the playoff series. It happens more often than you think.

Funny you're the one focusing on just the Jack Adams award here but don't acknowledge the consistant finishes at the top of the league Stanley Cup appearance and Presidents trophies.

I never had an issue with Crow as coach, he's not better than AV though same goes for Ruff.

There is more to coaching than 1 award or 1 cup it is everything put together. AV is a good coach no matter how you try to dissect it you're an idiot if you think otherwise.

On the other end of the arguement I do believe if we have an early exit this year, this summer would be the ideal time to pull the trigger on a firing.

LA struggled against top teams last year and got hot at the right time. As long as you're a playoff contender in March/April your record against winning/losing teams is irrelevant. Getting hot in April and beyond is all that matters, how many times have we seen a team in the playoffs face a team they went 1-3 or 2-4 against in the season only to win the playoff series. It happens more often than you think.

when you look at this team, 2 franchise players who won the hart trophy, a vezina candidate goalie, hard-nosed players that play to win, any coach would have gotten the same accolades.

But the fact remains, AV could not win when it counted the most. He has had 6 chances, and out of those 6 we made it out of the second round ONCE and that was barely after giving up a 3-0 series lead. You have to be a really poor team with a lack of focus to lose a 3-0 series and be one goal away from elimination.

Notice i said team. AV is the coach, he is the engine for the team. The engine has became rusty after 7 years. Gillis has managed to do some oil change, and do some re-adjustments during this 7 years, but no matter what you do, you can't take rust out of the engine. You have to replace that engine with another one.

You might get more milage with the current engine, but it won't be capable of what it can do with a new engine.

Poor analogy, but that's what this has come down to. Gillis should have never given that extension to AV last summer. Moving past all the horrible trades and signing, extended AV while him constantly choking under pressure made no sense.

The product has to change. Like the one poster in the other thread, this team has no identity. And how do you build an identity? The coach finding a style to play and using that style to win. What's the canucks identity right now? Get the goaltender to bail you out or you will be in for a long night. That's not coaching, that's luck. You can win some games with luck, but won't win the SC with it.

Take off the homer glasses. Also, defending your position through insulting the person attacking the position merely shows your own position as weak. Try not to do that.

See what he's had to work with in the past 6 years. The level of talent on this team is spectacular. How many third period leads have the Canucks blown due to the "OK BOYS SHUT IT DOWN" in the third? When the first two periods are 70% in the other team's end, and the third is 80% in ours... who would you fault for that? The goalie?

Or the line 'slot machine' - Who plays on what line isn't a nightly decision, it's a shift-by-shift decision. It's extremely difficult to build chemistry with another player or other players when you spend your next shift with other players. This reduces efficiency in play flow, and leads to bad player output.

Along those lines, his total willingness to doghouse certain players for whatever reason, and prioritize others based on ... no criteria at all makes his man management skills extremely suspect.

Tactically, he's a nightmare. The powerplay (albeit that's supposed to be the responsibility of the offense, at some point the head coach needs to take responsibility) is too predictable.

Which brings me to predictable. In every multigame series we have featured in, if the other team has had anywhere near the talent of ours, we have either had extreme trouble, or lost. This is because the same game plan is followed, game in, game out, making it a lot easier to counter, despite the talent. By being unable to adjust to conditions presenting in the game, and influencing the players themselves to change it, he is creating a deficiency where none should be. It's a lot easier to see what is going on, who is not going where (etc) from standing on the bench than it is when you're out there. In the LA series last year for a recent example, Sutter was constantly giving information, morale, or whatever he was doing to the players on that bench. Every camera shot, you'd see him leaning over, talking to a player, pointing things out. AV stood back, chewing on the gum.

We didn't win the series.

And I hope you're not going to say that LA has more talent than the Canucks...

Do you really have confidence AV will be able to outcoach every team like Sutter did? Judging by his past playoff "performances" I don't.

Also you forget that they changed coaches. They got an experienced coach who had been with a struggliing team. Something we should do.

:bigblush:

Funny, didn't see this thread after the Nashville game... Wonder why?

People have been calling for a coaching change for a long time...and for good reason. Almost every post season exit had to do with being out coached!

If it was up to the "fans" we'd be the only team in NHL history to have 47 different coaches in one season...

Sure, and hopefully in the first round we run into a team that is missing their top scorer, has a 2nd line centre that needs 2 surgeries, 2 of their top 6 defenseman injured as well...

You really believe that outcoaching crap? LA won because we had our top scorer injured and a banged up Kesler, and their goalie played lights out at the right time. It was not do to "outcoaching" which is by far the most overused word on these boards.

Sure, and hopefully in the first round we run into a team that is missing their top scorer, has a 2nd line centre that needs 2 surgeries, 2 of their top 6 defenseman injured as well...

You really believe that outcoaching crap? LA won because we had our top scorer injured and a banged up Kesler, and their goalie played lights out at the right time. It was not do to "outcoaching" which is by far the most overused word on these boards.

Actually...quite relevant, and explains why the Canucks have had so much success in the regular season, and not so much so in the post season.

Reality is AV is a good coach, but it's time for a change. I've not heard a convincing argument in favour of keeping AV. So please...when replying to OP,cough up something new (no the same old rhetoric).

Archived