The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coaching decisions

miles.p

Lets take a look at the Canucks record against good, long-tenured coaches and teams with bad coaches, or those with limited experience.

7-1-2 against teams with average coaching.

3-3-2 against teams with good coaching.

In the playoffs we might be lucky to face an average team to start off the run, but by the 2nd round every remaining team has great coaches, and playing .500 hockey against these guys is going to get us booted. Good coaching comes to the forefront during the playoffs where teams make adjustments all the time. Against Detroit, Renney in particular changed his PP to dissect and rip apart the Canucks defence within the span of a 15 minute break, and we couldn't adjust back.

Adjustments are everything and over the last 2 or 3 seasons AV and co. have come out and specifically said they don't like making adjustments, but just keep their game the same to try and win because that's what they're comfortable with. This is basically a losing philosophy for the playoffs.

The main argument for a coaching change is what have we really got to lose?

Are we afraid that another coach will do worse with a stacked team? Really?

I have seen nothing from AV or the Canucks this season to suggest they are going anywhere come playoff time. The same lazy 2nd periods, the same tired defending leads for half the game instead of staying on the attack, the same inability to adapt when things get rough or other teams change their tactics. And once again, no accountability if the team fails.

Beating up on NW division opponents and getting a guaranteed high playoff seeding is not going to last forever. Would the natural push from bringing in a new coaching staff be enough to ride a wave through the shortened season and the playoffs? I would take a chance that it would.....we have absolutely nothing to lose other than seeing the same movie again this year.

AV is a good coach, I've always defended him ,but I wouldn't mind a change, just to change the dynamic on the team.

AV always seems to go with his go to guys in the bottom 9, Hansen, Higgins, Lapierre, Raymond, Manny (prior years), rather than giving a real chance to some rookies, Kasisan , Hdogson, Schroeder, Grabner. Yes the player above are more consistent, less risky players, give 100% night in night out. They are low risk, low rewards, they don't do mistakes but nothing extraordinary either.

You need this kind of players, but not a too many. You need game breaker that will giveaway the puck from time to time, but that will do special thing when you need them the most.

The main argument for a coaching change is what have we really got to lose?

Are we afraid that another coach will do worse with a stacked team? Really?

I have seen nothing from AV or the Canucks this season to suggest they are going anywhere come playoff time. The same lazy 2nd periods, the same tired defending leads for half the game instead of staying on the attack, the same inability to adapt when things get rough or other teams change their tactics. And once again, no accountability if the team fails.

Beating up on NW division opponents and getting a guaranteed high playoff seeding is not going to last forever. Would the natural push from bringing in a new coaching staff be enough to ride a wave through the shortened season and the playoffs? I would take a chance that it would.....we have absolutely nothing to lose other than seeing the same movie again this year.

why would ruff ever want to coach columbus, he is probably waiting for a top team to struggle a bit with talent and look for a change going down the stretch drive.

Last year the kings signed daryl Sutter and he went all the way to win a cup, you dont think he got his players the change the way they were playing.

Dan bylsma took over for a under achieveing penguins team, and within a couple years they were cup finalists then followed that season up by winning the cup, not by gettting hosed by an 8th seed in the first round.

I dont care who our team loses too in the playoffs, especially if they go on to win the cup it makes it even harder because that could have been us.

Would Lindy Ruff be a breath of fresh air to this team, Yes. Would their maybe be a bit of an adjustment and learning curve, Yes. Will the canucks make a bold move to Fire AV and try to get a good coach in Ruff, No

Sometime the best way to win is to defend what you have, no point opening the game up and allowing the opposition back in by playing an open expansive game. Better to tighten up and consolidate what you already have. Although I agree that a 2 goal cushion should be sought first before that it played.

You can throw a game by attaching to much and being picked apart. Its about playing the chanced and taking what you have. Its not NHL13 where you just go all out attack and score 15 goals a game.

MG said players like Kassian do not come along often and so when they do you have to make a move.

That is EXACTLY how I want him to think about Lindy Ruff right now. How many great coaches have come and gone in the last few years that might have been able to get more out of this group? Don't let another one get snapped up elsewhere........

MG said players like Kassian do not come along often and so when they do you have to make a move.

That is EXACTLY how I want him to think about Lindy Ruff right now. How many great coaches have come and gone in the last few years that might have been able to get more out of this group? Don't let another one get snapped up elsewhere........

Another night, another horrible coaching decisions. So many things wrong with this game that I don't know where to start.

But this is no surprise at all. This effort is expected from the Canucks. The coaching staff looking clueless and continue to chew his gum, looking like he has no trump card left.

Kassian is showing why he's still a "prospect" with "untapped potential" and he will get it eventually.

Kesler will never be what he was in 2010. One fluke year and nothing else to show besides that.

1) DO you think Bozak will be priced as a 3C? No guarantee you re-sign him. Plus, Bozak just isn't that good.

2) IIRC = If I recall correctly

3) If it Gillis can't improve the roster this year, he gets dealt in the offseason. He isn't going to deal him this season for cap purposes.

4) Whens the last time you saw a quality tough guy moved? Wayne Simmonds? Paul Gaustad?

Teams don't move these players for good reason.

Archived