The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coaching decisions

miles.p

Yes, he tends to mismanage games in the sense that he leaves things the way they are. Changing things up won't necessarily do anything either, so inaction =/= problem.

What worried me was his inexplicable move to put Edler back on his weak side and pair him up with Garrison, even though the two haven't seemed to mesh very well despite playing together for months. What surprised me was that he also used this pairing against the Datsyuk line. It's no wonder Detroit had a hay day - our top pairing had questionable chemistry and our best D-man was on his bad side.

I quote Edler (paraphrasing): "I enjoy playing on the left side but if the situation arises that I am needed on the right, well, then, I am happy to play on that side too". In other words, he hates the right side, and thanks to a dumb move by the coaching staff he really got his a$$ handed to him in Detroit.

MANAGE THE PLAYERS PLEASE

You assume a lot. Your first assumption is that Ruff is just eagerly waiting to be hired by the Canucks. He lives back east and I bet doesn't want to be that far from his family etc.

Lets say we do get Ruff and the result is a first or second round loss... is it now time to fire Ruff? Ruff had many chances with Buffalo to bring a cup there, he couldn't... why would people think he is more likely to bring the Cup to Vancouver than AV? The Exact same reasons everyone wants AV gone are the reasons Ruff lost his job :picard:

But I guess the CDC GM of the Minnesota Wild is more of an expert than Gillis, hey you should want Gillis to keep AV that way when he gets fired I am sure you're the next in line for GM of the Canucks :rolleyes:

You assume a lot. Your first assumption is that Ruff is just eagerly waiting to be hired by the Canucks. He lives back east and I bet doesn't want to be that far from his family etc.

Lets say we do get Ruff and the result is a first or second round loss... is it now time to fire Ruff? Ruff had many chances with Buffalo to bring a cup there, he couldn't... why would people think he is more likely to bring the Cup to Vancouver than AV? The Exact same reasons everyone wants AV gone are the reasons Ruff lost his job :picard:

But I guess the CDC GM of the Minnesota Wild is more of an expert than Gillis, hey you should want Gillis to keep AV that way when he gets fired I am sure you're the next in line for GM of the Canucks :rolleyes:

I would like to see a coach with Sutter like qualities/approach. A good motivator, plays with heart who cares about the players and uses their strengths. None of this favoritism nonsense. I don't know much about Ruff. I get the impression his ability might be equal to AV's. Off topic...with the way things are going for the Hawks...do we really want the Blackhawks to take the Presidents' Trophy away from us??

You also assume a lot. Of course Ruff would take another head coaching gig in the best league in the world, even if it meant moving to the left coast. And as for not hiring him because of his inability to get it done in Buffalo, well why hire any coach whose fingers are not adorned with cup rings? Surely this means they could never get it done (umm...Keenan in NY, Bylsma in Pit, Sutter in LA). It's about the mix, and it's becoming clear AV may not be the best match for the players we have.

But hey...don't panic. Wait a couple more seasons until it's painfully obvious and the window for this group is shut.

Like all coaches, Ruff's message seemed to go stale in Buffalo....same as AV's has in Vancouver. That doesn't mean it would not be effective with the Canucks, just like AV's message would probably be effective with whatever other team hired him as coach. You are missing the point that it has little to do with who is a better or more accomplished coach. They both are in their own ways. It comes down to how does MG shake the apathy off this team? There is only one viable way and that is to replace the coach.

Ruff stated he is eager to get back to coaching....but he said nothing about it being geographically limited to the east so until he does it is probably reasonable to assume he would look at any opportunities that come his way.

Ruff never had a team as talented on paper as this Canucks team is. This team just needs someone who can actually get that talent to show up at important times.

Hiring Ruff cannot be any worse than sticking with AV. He has not won anything in 7 years here......so you would give a new coach one season to win? I would bet that this team would not get outworked under Ruff like they do under AV.......and that is the biggest hurdle at this point.

As for me wanting to be GM of the Canucks, I would not want that job at all actually. Too much BS for what its worth.

Let's see Jack Adams, Divisions, Conferences, President's trophies - twice, um not to mention the individual hardware awarded to his players, including Hart, Jennings, Lindsay, Selke not to mention 1 win away from a cup I guess all that hardware would indicate that AV doesn't get anything from his players :rolleyes: Go back to your fantasy league, I am curious where you end up there. :lol:

not to mention feasting on the NW weak teams.

Their record against winning teams speaks for itself.

just doing my job as a canuck fan. As a fan who has game jerseys and goes to tickets games, i have more right than most people here to voice my opinion. Don't like it, don't click my threads.

So there's really no reason not to hire Ruff since both have zero cups.

I think the point you seem to be either missing or willflly ignoring is that every coach's message has a shelf life. Ruff's expired in Buffalo, and AV's seems to have expired here. Granted, the talent level in Vancouver is much greater, which makes it easier to say "but we're x,y, and z for the month of February, and Presidents Trophys, and Game 7". But this team plays uninspired hockey. And while at first blush it might make sense to blame the players, the odds are far greater that one moving part (AV) is faulty rather than 20+ moving parts. Think about it.

If you hit refresh on the messenger, you refresh the message. It might just be the spark this team needs to take it to the next level.

That said, I still think this team can play well enough despite AV. The downside to that is they are not playing as well as they could be. We've all seen it.

That is what matters in hockey, that is what matters to GMs, and that is what matters to Owners. Until he starts losing and misses the playoffs his job is safe, and for you so called fans that would hope the Canucks lose and miss playoffs to have AV fired, here is a newsflash, you aren't fans.

Seriously man, does anyone really care about regular season accomplishments like President's trophies that come on the back of being in the weakest division in the NHL?

He has had 7 years and gotten out of the 2nd round of the playoffs once.........so really, who cares about the useless regular season accolades? It is about how does this group win a cup. AV has accomplished exactly zero with this group based on that benchmark.

I get that AV, the core players, and fans like you think runner up in the Stanley Cup is good enough as long as we keep winning President's Trophies.

Puuuuuuulease......those are the useless arguments of people who realize their coach has done jack squat when it REALLY counts.

You are purposely obtuse as to the actual point I was making and that's your prerogative Just don't respond to my posts though if you have no real point to make.

And it is hilarious that you can honestly say AV has gotten enough out of his 23 man roster EVER in the playoffs. Good luck arguing that one buddy.

You're posts are pathetic and have zero value keep whining for AV to be fired what is hilarious is the fact that you think the winningest coach in Canucks history will be fired while the team is still winning. What a joke.

and Yet your arguements call for the Hiring of Ruff... you reek of hypocrisy. One thing I just figured you're right about... your post are not worth responding to so I will leave you to hold your breath till AV is fired.

It's about time.....I was hoping you would put me on ignore actually so I would not have to deal with you. The team is only winning because they are in a weak division.....so all your regular season accolades that you cling to like a baby's blanket to keep you warm really amount to nothing in the grand scheme of things. Eventually teams run out of excuses for not being able to translate all that regular season "success" into a cup. There is nothing to suggest that will magically happen under AV.

Yup and guess what they know its not easy to do, I would hardly call the tenure under AV mediocre and uninspired. All you can ask is that this team competes for the Cup each and every year and to do that they need to make the playoffs and guess what.... They do.

Archived