The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coaching decisions

miles.p

Did you not watch the last quarter and first round exit last season? The only player that played inspired hockey was Hodgson, whom AV apparently had an issue with...go figure! Making the playoffs and the ability to going deep and winning the Cup are two different scenarios. Many teams can make the playoffs but only an elite few can challenge for the Cup.

This comment just shows you do not understand hockey at all. You really think our team is playing perfect hockey the last two seasons? How come they haven't won a cup yet then? There are a ton of issues with this team and one of the biggest is the coaching staff.

Weren't you going to ignore me or something?

AV should go if this year isn't prosperous. With the lineup we've had over the past 4 seasons, we've had the potential to go all the way but it was always something different that made our team look weak and get shut down. The Blackhawks were too good for us all around for 2 years. They nearly kicked us out the 3rd year, which eventually lead us to being outworked by the hustle of the Bruins and the defense surrounding the brick wall of Tim Thomas...the latter was the same case with Quick and the Kings for the entire 5 games.

Aladeen, you can keep on referencing this team without AV as synonymous to cheering for Columbus or NYI but you're ignoring the notion that we've had a top 5 (hell, top 2 or 3 arguably) roster in the league for the past 4 years on paper.

I believe it's what a lot of people say. Perhaps hearing the same ol' thing over and over for 7 years connotes a lesser effect on the team each time. I believed it showed last year and it's showing this year too. AV is a good coach, and we have an excellent roster, but that doesn't mean we should settle for President's Trophies and 1st/2nd round exits. I believe our window to win with AV and this lineup was 2011. I'd love to be proven wrong.

*waits for Aladeen to go crazy at me*

AV should go if this year isn't prosperous. With the lineup we've had over the past 4 seasons, we've had the potential to go all the way but it was always something different that made our team look weak and get shut down. The Blackhawks were too good for us all around for 2 years. They nearly kicked us out the 3rd year, which eventually lead us to being outworked by the hustle of the Bruins and the defense surrounding the brick wall of Tim Thomas...the latter was the same case with Quick and the Kings for the entire 5 games.

Aladeen, you can keep on referencing this team without AV as synonymous to cheering for Columbus or NYI but you're ignoring the notion that we've had a top 5 (hell, top 2 or 3 arguably) roster in the league for the past 4 years on paper.

I believe it's what a lot of people say. Perhaps hearing the same ol' thing over and over for 7 years connotes a lesser effect on the team each time. I believed it showed last year and it's showing this year too. AV is a good coach, and we have an excellent roster, but that doesn't mean we should settle for President's Trophies and 1st/2nd round exits. I believe our window to win with AV and this lineup was 2011. I'd love to be proven wrong.

*waits for Aladeen to go crazy at me*

I play in two leagues.......so far making the playoffs in one I believe (and that is the barometer for ultimate success to you, right? Or does that just apply to AV?) First place in the other one. So I think I do okay. It has no impact on my opinion on AV or the issues with the Canucks though so I fail to see why it is relevant to the discussion in the first place.

For me to have personal reasons to want AV fired I would have to actually know him personally, wouldn't I? Do I personally care if he gets fired or not? No. It has no impact on my life other than I will have to continue to wait more years for this team to win a cup. But I think I will survive.

If all you want is to make the playoffs every year, then congratulations! You get your wish. I believe most of us want more and AV can't deliver that. Getting past the second round ONCE in seven years is proof of that.

I absolutely will take that bet. There is no way AV survives this season. We will make the playoffs on the backs of terrible NW division opponents and then get exposed in the playoffs, if AV survives that long.

so does that mean if we were not playing in the NW division, we wouldnt have made the playoffs?

beating chicago, nashville and san jose to get into the stanley cup final is pretty good, no? none of those teams were in the NW division were they?

would you rather being calgary, edmonton, and all the other teams that don't make the playoffs?

what would you be complaining about then?

I don't know you not sure why you're referencing me in your post. You have made some reasonable points, but these teams that beat the Canucks also steamrolled alot of other teams, so by that logic any team that ever loses to these powerhouse teams should fire their head coach.

Honestly tell me that another coach could have over come the things that went against the Canucks in these series. The officiating and universal hate for the Canucks in 2011, on top of what you've already stated the wall of Tim Thomas and the Defence of the Bruins (were all these things AVs fault? were the injuries to the Canucks AVs fault?) honestly now.

What about the elvation of play in the hard hitters of the Blackhawks like Bufylien and Bolland? the refs turned a blind eye to things they normally would have called and it sent a signal to these players it was open season on the Canucks where was the personal to match that? If they Canucks matched that are we so Naive to believe that the refs would have let the rough and tough Canucks have their way with the Blackhawk stars?

As for LA come on they steamrolled everyone they played against, they made some great deadline moves and we lost our superstar player in Daniel (not saying he being healthy would have won the series but it definitely didn't help).

My point comes down to a team must make the playoffs to with the Cup... if they don't they can't win it... simple as simple can be and AV all but assures a playoff appearance in his 7 years, I don't think there are too many other coaches that could have done the same.

This is the problem I have with the pro-AV arguament. You keep talking about how great the Boston defence was and how L.A. steamrolled everyone. When you win a Presidents Trophy, that means you were the best team inthe regular season. You have no excuse not to be the best team in the playoffs. We should not be using Boston and L.A. as measuring sticks! We should be setting the standard that other teams need to live up to. AV's tired "process" won't allow us to do that. Who gives a sh*t if we're the best regular season team if we're just gonna lose in the first round and say "They steamrolled everyone so it's ok". That mentality of excusing horrible play has to go with Vigneault.

And with the Anti AV argument our weak division is the only reason we won those president's trophies so give me a break you guys are just hypocrites and believe the only reason we lost was coaching? You can have the greatest coaches in the world but at the end of the day it is up to the players to get it done on the ice. You honestly believe we would have won the Cup if Ruff was the head coach? get your head checked if you say that then you didn't watch the SCF in 2011.

Archived