The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coaching decisions

miles.p

Absolutely! Just imagine we replaced Columbus, and had to play Chicago, Detroit, Nashville and St. Louis a lot more often. There is no way that we would have won a Presidents Trophy. I'm also not saying that Ruff would have won us the cup in 2011, but I am saying AV didn't. If it wasn't for Luongo robbing Sharp in game 7 against Chicago and Burrows scoring the game winner, AV would have been canned and this conversation would never take place. I'm also saying that there is no excuse for losing in 5 games to the Kings. I don't care how much they dominated other teams. We shouldn't have to make excuses for losing to anyone, as we should be able to compete with anyone. And are you really gonna say you're happy with the way the team has played this season? They lose by 4 goals to Anaheim, then beat terrible Calgary and Edmonton teams, then lose by 4 goals to San Jose, and beat lousy Dallas and Minnesota teams... This is how we win President's Trophys. We win a couple half-ass games against terrible teams and get blown out when real competition shows up. This is why AV has to go.

Wow...One big loss(does it really matter if its 8-3 or 3-1?),and it's all hands on deck,,,allegiance has flown out the window..Seriously,get a grip!....The regular season is nothing than mere posturing for the playoffs(and even at the end,the standings mean squat..as last seasons LA Kings can attest).....Lets see how it all shapes up with a healthy Kesler/Booth.

That is 90% of the reasons that people state why they want to get rid of AV god you guys are a bunch of hypocrites. You are not privy to what is going on behind the scenes in the Canucks Locker room, don't speak as if you are.

AV takes all the slack when the team loses but is given zero credit to the accomplishments of this team. You think Ruff would have done a better job at the helm? Offer up some proof.

Hey Aladeen, I admire your perseverance, (and 36 yrs as well) but I've been around for quite a few of these threads and they're really nothing more than a circle-jerk for the resident CDC He-Man AV haters club.

What you have is a bunch of armchair experts that are so sure they've got the formula that will finally bring the Canucks that elusive Cup, they're willing to claim that they understand the situation better than actual professional hockey people like Mike Gillis. (When you point this out to them, they usually claim that Gillis really wants to fire AV, but "it would make him look bad" or some such garbage.)

The fact is, none of these naysayers have any sort of relevant hockey credentials, so anything they say should be taken with a large grain of salt.

You've fought the good fight mate and for that I give you props, but you're yelling into the wind in these types of threads. In the end just be secure in the knowledge that Mike Gillis doesn't share the heavily slanted opinions of the "fire AV" crowd.

The facts dont lie. Being one of the highest point totalling teams and making the playoffs for years as a top 3 seed and all we have to show for it is 1 season where we made it past the second round? That is very disappointing, and whoever the team would be i would suspect in those 7 years having a roster as talented as our they would have made a coaching change already.

Kinda hard to not win games and be the winningest coach in history when we have never had a sctrech of being an elite team in the league for this many years, and playing in a weak division for all those years. I could care less about any president trophy, division title or coaching award or player award. Im sure if you asked luo/schneider, Kesler, sedin, sedin and AV if they could all trade in their individual award for 1 stanley cup ring the answer would be unanimous.

We will have a good record because we play in a poor division, so like this year our team record is going to post better #s than it should. So if you base the teams record solely during the regular season, ya AV wont be fired for a long ass time. Problem with that is when the playoffs come our team gets out played out coached and in every year but one we fail to get passed the 2nd round. To me thats an utter failure when you ice a talented team like ours over the last number of years

You're Hockey IQ has already been established... The bolded statement is, as AV would put it, just stupid. The likelyhood of something going wrong with 20+ moving parts vs one part in anything is much greater from sports, to computers, to mechanics... you should take your own advice and think about what you post before you post it.

You say at first blush it makes sense to blame the players - whatever the hell this means... though sadly I think I infer the meaning, Who needs to be blamed for what exactly? Leading the division? having a hiccup at the end of a road trip against a strong opponent? making the playoffs yet again under coach AV when the Canucks inevitably make the playoffs?

There is no one to blame because there is nothing to blame on anyone. Its not like they are at the bottom of the conference being outscored 8-3 every other night.

All you guys want to hang AV for your imagined slights, like he ruins young players? yet I never hear talk about their junior teams or the wolves or any other factor other than AV. Yah he ruined Shirokov? why couldn't he crack the Panther's roster but AV should have put him on the top line? give me a break.

You guys keep up your whining a bitching and at the end of the day AV will still be coach cause the bottom line is the most important thing, HE WINS GAMES, HE MAKES THE PLAYOFFS, HE IS PROFESSIONAL, THE CANUCKS HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE SUCCESSFUL THAN THEY HAVE UNDER HIS TENURE...... EVER.

That is what matters in hockey, that is what matters to GMs, and that is what matters to Owners. Until he starts losing and misses the playoffs his job is safe, and for you so called fans that would hope the Canucks lose and miss playoffs to have AV fired, here is a newsflash, you aren't fans.

Hey Aladeen, I admire your perseverance, (and 36 yrs as well) but I've been around for quite a few of these threads and they're really nothing more than a circle-jerk for the resident CDC He-Man AV haters club.

What you have is a bunch of armchair experts that are so sure they've got the formula that will finally bring the Canucks that elusive Cup, they're willing to claim that they understand the situation better than actual professional hockey people like Mike Gillis. (When you point this out to them, they usually claim that Gillis really wants to fire AV, but "it would make him look bad" or some such garbage.)

The fact is, none of these naysayers have any sort of relevant hockey credentials, so anything they say should be taken with a large grain of salt.

You've fought the good fight mate and for that I give you props, but you're yelling into the wind in these types of threads. In the end just be secure in the knowledge that Mike Gillis doesn't share the heavily slanted opinions of the "fire AV" crowd.

Its sad they need a change. Instead of the same thing every year.

The games where they get blow out of the water. The games where their uninterested and the games where they blow leads.The same system game after game after game after game after game after game.

This is the same old song and dance under AV's leadership and the team desperate needs a new message period...........

I am a "so called" fan because I believe another coach could be the one key element to push this team over the edge.

I am a so called fan because I say it looks like AV's message may have expired.

You didn't understand one iota of my post. Not one. You saw that my opinion varied from yours and made it personal. talking about my hockey IQ, and calling me a "so-called fan". This is the tactic of someone who has nothing to offer to the conversation. There are people in the forum who disagree with me who at least present a series of reasonable explanations that make a plausible argument for why AV ought to stay. Further, I do not even ever state that AV has to be fired. I say that replacing him may be the thing that pushes this team to the next level and you go on an extended rant.

The more you know:
First blush is an idiom that refers to an initial impression. When you first examine a situation, object, problem, etc, you may not notice certain details, or you may be given an impression that does not reveal the true nature of said situation, object, problem, etc. I hope that helps.

Additionally, if you'd paid any attention to what I wrote, you would see that I have not ever said AV ruins young players. That's never been one of my complaints. Feel free to scour my comments.

Lastly, if you had comprehended anything that I posted, you would plainly see that my point about 20 things being defective vs one thing being defective refers to all 20. That odds of all 20+ parts being defective vs 1 is statistically implausible. You know what implausible means, right? Not impossible. And not the same as one of 20 being defective. Naturally the odds of one in 20 items being defective are greater when compared to just one. Any moron could see that.

I'd like to close with a quote from the great philosopher, me:

"Reading. It's fundamental." -Me

Yah he let the goals in, he alone blew any leads. How many games has he won or the team has come from behind to win or get points out of, only you deserve :picard::picard:

:picard:

:picard: If he deserves all the blame for every blown lead then he also deserves all the credit for every win, and every come from behind win or OTL

Whine whine whine, bitch bitch bitch... if you had a relevant point I would care but since you consistantly offer nothing but the same drivel and have shown you do nothing but whine and bitch no one cares about your philosphy.

"If you have zero hockey IQ, maybe you should watch curling Vansicle." - me

Aladeen,

You are blinded by the past. Alain Vigneault is stale in Vancouver. You mention the Stanley Cup run of 2011, but fail to remember that we barely made it out of the first round. Av left Luongo in to get swiss cheesed by the Hawks instead of pulling him after 4.

The individual awards the players received are due to their ability, not AV's as a coach. He will never bring the Cup here. Go ahead and point to the President's trophies. It won't change the truth that you are blind to.

And you do have relevant hockey credentials? You work for the team?

It's posters like yourself and Aladeen who take what is a discussion about the coach and make it personal. You state that people who don't share your opinion are stupid. Simple is as simple does there Rupert.

I wonder what folks like you did before the internet. How did you troll before now?

Isn't this nothing more than an armchair expert calling the other armchair experts armchair experts.

I get what you're saying, and usually you bring substance to the table - you're one of the guys I disagree with who makes a reasonable, persuasive argument. But when you start using terms like armchair experts, you have to remember that you're in a boat full of them.

You're not a self hating armchair expert, are you? I mean, do grains of salt get taken with what you say?

And for the record, we don't know what Mike Gillis thinks. A year ago he said he wanted this team to focus on offense and speed. Either that's true and AV hasn't delivered, or it's not and it was BS.

And you do have relevant hockey credentials? You work for the team?

It's posters like yourself and Aladeen who take what is a discussion about the coach and make it personal. You state that people who don't share your opinion are stupid. Simple is as simple does there Rupert.

I wonder what folks like you did before the internet. How did you troll before now?

Archived