The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coaching decisions

miles.p

I've moved up to "troglodyte"? Cool. Does that entitle me to the secret decoder ring, or do I still have to collect those darn box tops?

The other poster suggested that the team was under performing, poorly motivated and not well prepared. The poster then implied that the team was not worth watching. I made an inquiry about whether he (she?) would be watching other sporting events next week rather than Canucks games.

And just out of curiosity, do you watch Canucks games while you are seated or standing?

regards,

G.

I've moved up to "troglodyte"? Cool. Does that entitle me to the secret decoder ring, or do I still have to collect those darn box tops?

The other poster suggested that the team was under performing, poorly motivated and not well prepared. The poster then implied that the team was not worth watching. I made an inquiry about whether he (she?) would be watching other sporting events next week rather than Canucks games.

And just out of curiosity, do you watch Canucks games while you are seated or standing?

regards,

G.

Absolutely entitled to an opinion, as am I. And I think it's pretty easy to infer from what the OP said that the team is not worth watching.

I get the impression that you're a standee, but that's just my opinion.

regards,

G.

This is where the anti AV crowd is absolutely stupid.

You can't have post season success without regular season success really not that hard to figure out...

Teams like LA last year, Carolina and Edmonton in 06 and Calgary in 04 come along once in a blue moon but 80-90% of the time teams with regular season success have post season success regardless of how bad or good there division is, didn't seem to hurt Detroit having a crap division for the better part of 96-2008

I'm a true believer in that teams will play the way they practice. I consider regular season a practice for the Canucks. For those that think the Canucks will simply flip the switch come playoffs are in for a rude awakening.

There's only 2 scenarios folks.

Either our team is not as good as we thought OR simply they are not achieving their potential.

My hope is that the problem is the latter. If our problem is scenario 1, we are in a far worse position to win a cup as that would mean we need to pull of some major trades to be in contention again.

If the problem is us not playing to our potential, then the quickest and easiest fix is to switch up the coaching.

The Canucks have become WAY too predictable in the way they play and you will see that we struggle against well coached teams. We struggle against, St Louis (Hitchcock), Det (Babcock), Chicago (Quenville), Phoenix (Tippet), Kings (Sutter). All these teams come in with a game plan because we only know how to play one way. Most of us that watch every game know exactly where the puck will go when its in our zone. I find myself already fully knowing what our players will do BEFORE they make their move to get the puck out of our zone. Well guess what? So do the other teams.

For instance, tonight, I saw the Coyotes players cheat many times to the boards just waiting for the reverse or the usual chip up the boards towards the blue line. They were there ahead of the play just waiting for a nice tape to tape pass from our d-man.

Now for those that think the playoffs will be different are in complete denial. In the playoffs, it will be even tougher against a well coached team because they know our system inside out and have 7 games to execute what they practice.

In our cup run, the Nashville series REALLY stood out to me because on paper, Nashville should have been swept by us. However, they were successfully able to shut down the Sedins and it took a beast mode solo performance from Kesler to beat them. What Kesler did in that series is NOT coachable and that's why Nashville did not have an answer for Kesler. They didn't have a game plan for the unpredictable play of Kesler (where he simply beat them with skill NOT system) where as they knew EXACTLY what to expect from the Sedins.

So, to summarize, without a coaching change or an addition of a game breaker, it should be obvious that this year will be no different from any other year.

Perhaps the shake up this team needs is not a coaching change but dare I say it a new captain? I am not dissing Hank I really like the Sedins but as others have pointed out right now our team, our core, kesler (?) needs someone who will stand up and tell them this type of play just isn't going to cut it anymore. It feels as if Hank is just patting them on the back.

Oh really?

How many Presidents Trophy winning teams have built a 3 games to none lead in a playoff series only to piss it away and come within an overtime goal of elimination to an 8th place team? By my count, that's a zero. If it didn't end up being the biggest upset in history it definitely would've been in the top 3.

Archived