Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 8 votes

Coaching decisions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
731 replies to this topic

#721 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,636 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

This was never about position comparisons.

I was saying, if he scratches Ballard after 2 sub-par games in which no one was impressive, it should be the same standard everyone else is held too.

I don't disagree with this but as far as our forwards are concerned scratching any of them for Ebbett is a major step back, defensively we're deep so scratching Ballard for a couple of games when not performing isn't so bad.

credit to canuckforever00 for the sig :)

RIP Luc Bourdon

#722 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

I don't disagree with this but as far as our forwards are concerned scratching any of them for Ebbett is a major step back, defensively we're deep so scratching Ballard for a couple of games when not performing isn't so bad.

I also don't disagree, but he could atleast play them less. In this case Weise and Kassian aren't huge losses. (Although who are we kidding Weise is AV's golden boy) Hamhuis and or Raymond could have atleast been demoted to a lesser role if they were preforming up to standard.

Its just the consistency I would like to see.

zackass.png

#723 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,636 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

I also don't disagree, but he could atleast play them less. In this case Weise and Kassian aren't huge losses. (Although who are we kidding Weise is AV's golden boy) Hamhuis and or Raymond could have atleast been demoted to a lesser role if they were preforming up to standard.

Everyone would like consistency. I just don't buy into the AV favourites movement, there is more to decision making than AV and AV only. However this is a team competing for the cup and if we don't win it this year I expect a new coach behind the bench next year.

credit to canuckforever00 for the sig :)

RIP Luc Bourdon

#724 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,121 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

Hamhuis and Raymond could have been demoted, but there would be no point, since neither was/is playing poorly. (BTW: Hamhuis was -1 in the games against Detroit and Phoenix, not -2, and he averaged about 8 minutes more than Ballard)

In any event, the difference between between forwards and defense is that the Canucks didn't have 2 veteran forwards waiting in the wings to play their first game of the season. Ebbett has had his shot.

I know CDC isn't much of a Dale Weise fan, but he's pretty much done exactly what the team has asked him to. Everyone was disappointed to see Volpatti leave, (I believe the Canucks were as well) but Weise is a better skater, is more defensively responsible, kills penalties and is second on the team in hits, despite being next to last (Tom Sestito) in average TOI...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#725 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

Hamhuis and Raymond could have been demoted, but there would be no point, since neither was/is playing poorly. (BTW: Hamhuis was -1 in the games against Detroit and Phoenix, not -2, and he averaged about 8 minutes more than Ballard)

In any event, the difference between between forwards and defense is that the Canucks didn't have 2 veteran forwards waiting in the wings to play their first game of the season. Ebbett has had his shot.

I know CDC isn't much of a Dale Weise fan, but he's pretty much done exactly what the team has asked him to. Everyone was disappointed to see Volpatti leave, (I believe the Canucks were as well) but Weise is a better skater, is more defensively responsible, kills penalties and is second on the team in hits, despite being next to last (Tom Sestito) in average TOI...

Then there was no reason to demote Ballard either. It would just be nice to not have a double standard, and to bench others when they play bad, but that doesn't seem to be AV's style.

zackass.png

#726 snucks

snucks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

This team has been over coached to the point where they seldom fight back. It first happened in the Boston cup final and the edginess taken away from the team. They have not been the same since that series.Of course they took a pounding. Guys that used to be abrasive and under the skin of the opponents just skate away from dirty plays scared to take a penalty. Maybe that is whats wrong with Edler who used to deliver punishing checks. Is as if everyone is over coached and not allowed to do what they do best.Ballard is an example of that. Now they will probably screw up Tanev. Hamhuis is also messed up in my opinion. In spite of all that the team is still competitive. Get rid of AV and his assistant and bring in a coach that will not over think things, but demands hard work. Maybe Gillis will have to go too for letting this go on this long

#727 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,121 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

Then there was no reason to demote Ballard either. It would just be nice to not have a double standard, and to bench others when they play bad, but that doesn't seem to be AV's style.

Alberts and Barker needed to play at some point. You don't want them forced into the lineup because of injury late in the season, without already having had a chance to play under game conditions.

The situation with the forwards is not the same.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#728 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

Alberts and Barker needed to play at some point. You don't want them forced into the lineup because of injury late in the season, without already having had a chance to play under game conditions.

The situation with the forwards is not the same.

Cam Barker has gotten better by the shift, noticeably better. I think he's jumped over Alberts in the few games he's seen action in. Those two did have to play sooner than later. I question why it wasn't sooner.
AV and his staff have become stale. The team is stale regardless of player shuffle.

#729 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

There should be a bag AV puts over his head for interviews. The Canuck's head bag of shame. At least with a bag over his head he wouldn't have to look at the people who don't care what he has to say. He can laugh at his own humor all by himself in the bag.

#730 Mrock-763

Mrock-763

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

Mg isn't helping....he is over pricing luongo, he has 4 left side defensemen making +4m, a glaring hole at 3rd line center and we are still lacking toughness in the top 9 forwards!!!!

The last one bugs me the most because we have had this problem for the last few years and he still hasn't solved it!!!!

Exactly!

Posted Image
Props to Olias for providing me with this sick sig!

#731 Psycho_Path

Psycho_Path

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

This team has been over coached to the point where they seldom fight back. It first happened in the Boston cup final and the edginess taken away from the team. They have not been the same since that series.Of course they took a pounding. Guys that used to be abrasive and under the skin of the opponents just skate away from dirty plays scared to take a penalty. Maybe that is whats wrong with Edler who used to deliver punishing checks. Is as if everyone is over coached and not allowed to do what they do best.Ballard is an example of that. Now they will probably screw up Tanev. Hamhuis is also messed up in my opinion. In spite of all that the team is still competitive. Get rid of AV and his assistant and bring in a coach that will not over think things, but demands hard work. Maybe Gillis will have to go too for letting this go on this long

AV was learning from the previous 2 seasons against Chicago, where the reffing was garbage and anything we did got penalized, whereas the Hawks were doing all that crap to us and not getting penalized. What happened in the finals against Boston is more garbage from the refs.

I'm of the opinion that we need a new coach as well. I'm sure there's record on this forum somewhere of me complaining 3 or so years ago about AV for a number of reasons, though AV has done well to adapt to most of those and IMO has improved quite a bit in his time coaching here, and I think he's still learning, but the one thing over the whole time he's been here that hasn't changed is his inability to let some of our young offensive players develop their talent.

You can say he allowed Hodgson, but where was his chance on the 2nd line? I'm not going to suggest that Hodgson is Sundin, but while Sundin was here Kesler did just fine on the wing. And Schroeder this year, the only other option is Ebbett, who has done nothing to suggest he's any better than Schroeder, so AV might as well play him (probably getting pressure from MG to play him as well, though if that isn't the case I really question MG in our prospect development philosophy), plus Schroeder's been on the 4th line with a couple no hands no offensive awareness players for what? 3 games now?

Ruff's had the opportunity to coach a number of young players along in his time in buffalo and never really had the star power to work with in the Sedins (aside from Vanek showing his best outing in his career this season).

I also agree with the philosophy at this point that just about anyone else would be a better fit here due to AVs message appearing stale. I guess we'll see.
Posted Image

#732 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:31 AM

Blast from the past...
So much fail in this thread...
Where are the AV supporters now?

On a brighter note, it's good to see some of you have converted.

Honestly, I know that with the way the team is right now, we have ZERO chance of winning the cup so lately, I have begun to embrace the losses because the more our playoff future is in jeopardy, the better the likelyhood of AV getting fired.

All you homers can point your finger at me and question my love for the Canucks but what you need to understand is that I feel this way because I do love this team and know that this team is capable of performing much better with a better coach.

Our elite talent and effort used to win games like tonight however, it should be apparent that our system has been figured out by the better coached teams in this league, our effort level has come down and now we are just relying on natural talent to win games.

We've tried tweaking this team year after year. The only thing that hasn't been done is to get a new coach. So all you AV lovers out there, why would you continually do the same thing over and over again and continue to fail when we can try something new in hopes that a coaching change might be the missing ingredient?

Do you have that much faith in AV that you would rather try a major shakeup like trading Kesler rather than trying a new coach?
If not a major shakeup, and not replacing the coaching, what's the best plan? minor tweaks again and hope for the best???

If after all this, if MG still doesnt fire AV, he can go as well.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.