The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coaching decisions

miles.p

If you go by Stanley Cup wins only then 70% of the leagues coaches should be fired right now. More to keeping a coach around then Cup wins alone. Where would Detroit be if they fired Scotty Bowman in 1995 after being swept in the finals because he hadn't won them a cup yet?

I'm all for looking for a better replacement for Vigneault and I'm still not 100% sold that Lindy Ruff is that guy and beyond him there is no one else available that is better.

It's not always the techincal anbility of a coach that needs to be improved, it can be the communication style, ability to adapt, treatment of players, and the ability to motivate players to get the most from each.

AV my be a great coach but perhaps his message is getting old and the players are losing focus/intensity. They certainly play like it most nights. LA was a different team with a new coach and message. The Leafs seem to be a different team to play agianst this year under Carlyle though they have hte same personnel as last year.

I doubt Buffalo thinks they will get a better technical coach than Ruff but they are looking for a change of pace, attitude, message to spark their players.

The Nucks system looks tired and predictable. They have been dominated for long periods of time in a way I have not seen any team dominated. Something is wrong and you can't replace l the players.

1) Because Bozak is marginally better than Mason Raymond, and Biggs is nothing to write home about. That return doesn't make this team better.

2) Aside from Garrison/Edler, this defense has gelled extremely well. And lets give Garrison more than a 20 game sample. If MG can somehow acquire a top-4 RH d-man to play with Edler and not make this team worse, I am sure he would. I have doubts he could even if he wanted to.

3) Again, lets find this mystery center whos available. If we could magically get a Paul Gaustad, I would be all for it. Good luck finding one.

4) So how many players are upgrades on Raymond (presumably the odd man out in this situation) and are also tough?

1) bozak is 56.7% on draws, he is stronger on his feet, he plays pp and pk and he would finally solidfy the 2nd pp units center position

2) i am a garrison supporter but they must have known he played on the left side last year so then why would they give him so much money when you already have hamhuis and edler in the top 4 group :blink:

3) trading luongo for bozak + for example would solve this issue and clear cap space

4) its hard to tell right now because noone has declared themselves a seller but if the sens ever send neils name out to sea and see what bites the canucks better the most aggresive shark in the ocean or mg needs a kick in the butt

to ott: raymond, 1st pick 2013

to van: neil, smith

The fact that this thought even exists scares me. The fact that you're not alone in it saddens me.

Vigneault is not even a top 10 coach in this league, much less "an upgrade" on Lindy Ruff. AV is an "allright" coach, perfectly suited for the Columbus, Florida and such teams.

Not the Canucks.

Though my chorus has been going since the day he was hired.

The fact that this thought even exists scares me. The fact that you're not alone in it saddens me.

Vigneault is not even a top 10 coach in this league, much less "an upgrade" on Lindy Ruff. AV is an "allright" coach, perfectly suited for the Columbus, Florida and such teams.

Not the Canucks.

Though my chorus has been going since the day he was hired.

1) So does Bozak as a rental playing over Schroeder improve this team compared to having the Luongo/Schneider tandem?

2) IIRC hes had some success on the right side? I think their priority was acquire Best Player Available, and that player was likely Garrison.

3) I don't think Bozak makes this team better (at least not at the price of Lu). And unless were going to replace Luongos 5.33 million, that cap-space is irrelevant.

4) I think if you proposed that to Sens fans, it would not go over well at all.

Archived