The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coaching decisions

miles.p

Which is a good reason you're not and will never be an NHL GM, trigger happy and black and white is not how to run an NHL team sorry...

I'll respond more when you post something relevant and not a knee-jerk reaction...

Todd McLellan says hi. Front-loaded SJS roster with former Cup winner goaltending, and somehow he's still not on the hotstove. Why not?

For one, it's got to do with short-sighted snooty fans here who think buying merchandise and tickets means their opinions are the end-all to any coaching argument.

Just like the Canucks, they seem to be stuck in the hopes off that next year will be different. The thing is when you look outside of the team to find faults, you will find them, but to do so you are overlooking your own teams deficiencies.

Now look at what @/user/20475-canuck73-3/">canuck73_3 said: "missing their top scorer, has a 2nd line centre that needs 2 surgeries, 2 of their top 6 defenseman injured as well..."

This guy is so confident that the Canucks would have won it all outside those injuries. But he fails to overlook the events preeding to the downfall in the first round. Prior to making the playoffs, the canucks won the PT simply because other team couldn't get it done. Also, they were coming into the playoffs with no momentum. They were playing .500 hockey by the time they made the playoffs.

Again, you can always find someone else to blame for your own fault, but at the end, it won't let you go anywhere. The reason why AV has failed 6 out of 7 times, is cause he (along with the rest of the coaching staff and management) always blame the fault on something else. Real winners go out and take it with no excuses.

NEXT.

whats the big deal with AV winning %. Who cares it could be .790 winning percentage in the regular season and I couldnt care less.

The fact is and I think everyone would agree, they want to see the canucks bring a stanley cup home. You dont need to win presidents trophies and have a coach with the best winning %.

You need a coach that can continually find new ways to motivate his players, a coach that knows when to mix up the lines, sit certain plays ride the hot hand with others. Adapt his coaching style to the more hard nosed physical style of play the the playoffs always lead up to.

The fact is AV is the most winningest coach in our history, do i really care no. All I care about is having a team that wins a cup, if that coach rips our players publicly like a tortorella, or sits his players who arent playing well. It doesnt matter in the end I want a coach that shows some emotion during a game and can rally his troops and show the adabtability in the post season to win a stanley cup.

AV has had a solid team to work with for 7 years, hes made the finals once, had a good regular season record but lost early in the playoffs far more than hes gone deep and made a long playoff run.

The fact is like all other teams, after a while you just need a new voice behind the bench, someone to bring new life into the locker room. Allow the players to have a clean sheet with a new coach and be allowed to show what he can do.

Our record is good, but it is also misleading. We will make the playoffs without a doubt, I dont put all the blame on the poor play just on the coach, i believe the GM has mismanaged and over paid for certain players, he needs to be held accountable, assess his team and if he has players that he can move and fill holes to help improve the team he needs to do it. Regardless of what the players name is, he has to be looking at whats best for the team. Having 9.3m cap hit in goalies and 4 left sided d men making 3.25-4.6m this year is too much. We need another reliable rh d man, a gritty 3rd line center for a playoff run, unfortunately schroeder isnt suited to fit that role, and potentially a top 6 winger. Im sorry I really like hansen and higgins but they are great 3rd liners not 2nd line players.

Doubt the coach gets fired till at earliest this off season, unless we go on a long losing streak, which i cant see happening as our division is full of teams with huge issues and we just couldnt loose to all of them for any period of time.

It will be debated to death on the forum, but AV has been given every chance to coach the canucks to a cup, he came close, but close doesnt count, and im sorry but when you go to see a game live or watch how poorly we can play its very sad to see, our style of play is boring and predictable. I wish our 4th line would go out and hit guys every crap, it see,s like they are sometimes scared to do so or worried they might be called for a penalty, hockey is a physical sport you cant get rid of hitting, get rid of the dirty stuff but allow guys to still have a physical element to the game. its needed or we are going to see alot of young stars continually get injured.

All in all, AV has been a good coach, but he seems to have lost the focus and drive in the locker room, and its been obvious to me since last post season. You never wanna see ppl get fired, but he gets paid very well for what he does, and its part of the business, coaches get fired they move on to another team or role in hockey. I think a coaching change could do this team alot more good than harm

Cause our division is horrific. And Because Lu has played great for the most part. We have relied on goaltending this year, and whenever it hasn't come through we have lost and usually in embaressing fashion.

How many 2 goal leads have we blown this year?

Archived