66 replies to this topic

#1 Jordan Schroeder

Jordan Schroeder

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

They have been downright embarrassing all year defensively for the most part this season. All of them are making such big bucks and failing to play competent defense. They need to get their heads out of their collective butts and stop blowing all these leads we've had all season.

Never seen so many breakaways, 2 on 1's, 2-0's odd man rushes galore to start the season. We're 18 games in, there is no excuse for how bad defensively these d core is performing outside of maybe Tanev and Ballard

Sig By VC (thx )

#2 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

At least everyone demanding that Bieksa watch from the seats got their wish. Not sure how much he learned though. Maybe what NOT to do.

30rw2li.jpg   ..................... Put Gino in the Ring of Honour!  .......................  2hg788l.jpg

#3 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

Too bad our d-core lacks an actual leader.

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#4 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

POPULAR

Alberts looked better than our TOP 4 has looked most the year.
Ready to see Barker. Garrison could use a night off.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#5 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Put Tanev and Ballard back together...We should at least have a pairing that AV knows he can rely on instead of jumbling everyone up and ending up with 3 useless d-pairings...

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#6 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

There are those games when EVERYTHING goes badly. Today was one of those days...lots of deflected shots that ended up in our net, calls that went against us, constant/on-going defensive break-downs...and let's not forget that Detroit, in spite of their slow start to the season, are still laden with top end talent.

Lets hope today's game was a wake up call for the Canucks...hopefully to a man, the entire roster comes to the realization that you can't mail one in and expect to walk away with points.

#7 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

There are those games when EVERYTHING goes badly. Today was one of those days...lots of deflected shots that ended up in our net, calls that went against us, constant/on-going defensive break-downs...and let's not forget that Detroit, in spite of their slow start to the season, are still laden with top end talent.

Lets hope today's game was a wake up call for the Canucks...hopefully to a man, the entire roster comes to the realization that you can't mail one in and expect to walk away with points.

Well our goalies have played superb for most of the season to mask some of those terrible odd man rushes we've had this year. You can even look back as close to this current road trip from Chicago to Nashville and now Detroit. That's a lot of bad d moments in those 3 games alone.

Posted Image

#8 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,476 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

Thought Edler was fine.

zackass.png

#9 Danuck

Danuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

Put Tanev and Ballard back together...We should at least have a pairing that AV knows he can rely on instead of jumbling everyone up and ending up with 3 useless d-pairings...

#10 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

It's funny how when our goalies don't play lights out it shows just how bad we are.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#11 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

I think they've been pretty good, but when they're bad... they're really bad. Bieksa is our leader imo.
Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#12 1canuck67

1canuck67

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

Too bad our d-core lacks an actual leader.

....and coach.

#13 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

Mitchell was the leader before he was not re-signed

Salo was also a leader in his own right, more of the silent type

#14 Pyrene

Pyrene

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

Loving the Garrison hate around here. He was a +/- 0 in a 3-8L. He's also a +6 on the season, highest amongst Canucks D-Man (tied with Bieksa, another whipping boy of CDC...surprise surprise right?). You really think AV would give him 20+ minutes every game if he was as bad as CDC proclaims him to be? :picard:

Edited by Pyrene, 24 February 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#15 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

Loving the Garrison hate around here. He was a +/- 0 in a 3-8L. He's also a +6 on the season, highest amongst Canucks D-Man (tied with Bieksa, another whipping boy of CDC...surprise surprise right?). You really think AV would give him 20+ minutes every game if he was as bad as CDC proclaims him to be? :picard:

He's looked pretty shaky at times. Same with Edler and Hamhuis. I just think it would be wise if we got Barker and Alberts some ice time, they wont be any worse than Edler and Garrison. We got depth at D, we should take advantage, 5 games in 7 days not bad time to get fresh hungry guys a chance to shine.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#16 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,445 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

He didn't look all that great. He put Ballard in so many tough spots throughout the game and just didn't seem ready.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#17 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,445 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

He's been good but not great this whole year. I think the fans expect way too much from him.

He was average again tonight but that pass to Hammer on the pp was just brutal...
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#18 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

I want to see Vandermeer, it would be sick to finally have a really tough guy back there.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#19 Salmon Arm Canuck

Salmon Arm Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

Embarrassing loss, yes.....Panic time...no!

#20 canidiot

canidiot

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

It's funny how when our goalies don't play lights out it shows just how bad we are.

come on big guy. lou played like the lights were out tonight. if he made a stop in the second, it was just to provide a rebound for a goal. when our defence was stuck on the ice long enough to have to call a time out, lou kept the puck in play when a weak shot hit the side of the net.whats the point of making the playoffs when the team is capable of this type of game.the entire team played well until everypuck on net went in.

#21 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

I want to see Vandermeer, it would be sick to finally have a really tough guy back there.

me too but it sounds like he's not doing great in chicago, he will be too much of a liability at this point. i love that he laughed fighting Lucic, we need that in our lineup.

Edited by DaMacNamedDre, 24 February 2013 - 09:15 PM.

#22 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

Everyone on the team has to be responsible defensively, not just the defensemen. A bad pass from anyone on the team can result in a breakaway. They need a team meeting.

#23 Burr's bandwagon

Burr's bandwagon

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

haha no way... Alberts was the worst player on the ice, so many mistakes and times out of position it was unbelievable.
webkit-fake-url://E0525C6D-59C8-4266-8890-6962F34EFBA6/application.pdf
-The Future

#24 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

Lets just get Bieksa back please...
Posted Image

#25 Derp...

Derp...

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

watch out we lost time to blow up the team! Common that was an embarrassing game for the NHL refereeing was soo terrible our entire team was frustrated beyond belief. Worst game I have seen in probably 5 years. I can think they will use that anger and start rolling now. You get a game like that to really piss you off now the coaches job is to make sure they use it. Can't believe no body was in a legit fight though... gotta say we needed one after the 4-3 goal... and a goalie change, but who am i to coach really. they know what they are doing... clearly 8-3 was the outcome everyone was hoping for :)

Seriously though it's one game if that happens 3-5 times in a row then ya something needs to happen...................................................................................................................................... probably won't though

GO CANUCKS!
YOU CAN DO IT!
BRING BACK ROME!
linden Vey Sig

#26 Adamth

Adamth

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

for a game like this i would rather see a unreal score of 50-0 score! hell id PUT MY 5 YR OLD KIDS THEY PLAY BETTER HOCKEY. im so glad i didnt watch it. im ashamed @ Av for not making new changes.

Edited by Adamth, 24 February 2013 - 11:05 PM.

#27 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

Today also showed what happens when our goalie isn't bailing our D's ass when they fail. Today exposed how our D has been really playing all year. I guess this is what happens when our goalie play below the spectacular level, we get lit up. People think scoring is our biggest weakness, but our D has been THE biggest weakness of this team, this year. Garrison and Edler need to get their heads out of their ass and play some defense instead of running around and chasing players like chickens with their heads cut off.

Posted Image

#28 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

come on big guy. lou played like the lights were out tonight. if he made a stop in the second, it was just to provide a rebound for a goal. when our defence was stuck on the ice long enough to have to call a time out, lou kept the puck in play when a weak shot hit the side of the net.whats the point of making the playoffs when the team is capable of this type of game.the entire team played well until everypuck on net went in.

Stop riding Luongo's ass. He can't keep bailing out our team when they don't show up and he can't carry our D core and score for us. This has been the problem for the Canucks for years now, especially in the playoffs. We just rely way too much on our goaltending that when it fails, we solely blame them on the loss. Its either blame Schneider, Luongo or whoever else is in net which is just getting tiring coming from this fan base. Open your eyes and you will see that our D hasn't played ONE solid game all year. In fact, they probably only played 2 solid periods against a Nashville team that couldn't score if their lives depended on it.

Posted Image

#29 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

Need another right handed shot. Garrison or Ballard should be traded for one. We have at least one lefty on the right side every night. That usually makes both d-men play bad.

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#30 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

Garrison, Ballard and Tanev were particularly brutal tonight against the Wings. Edler and Alberts played well IMO.

But our problems on defence aren't just defenders, it's forwards and gap control as well. Team defence is brutal and has been for a while now because we play such an open, gambling sort of game where defenders are expected to jump up in the rush and pinch in.

Sure, the Canucks lead the league in goals for by defencemen, but if you ask me it's not worth what we give up defending. I'd much rather have a solid, stay at home defence that doesn't score but doesn't get embarassed than what we have right now. Look at the defensive styles of Boston and Los Angeles - solid, stay at home and not much offence, and they have Cups because that's how you win in the playoffs.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.