Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

how come the NHLPA does not adress the Ref situation?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#31 Kyosama

Kyosama

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:51 PM

Or the NHL could just fire the incompetent refs and hire new blood.

The problem with that being that the reason that everyone thinks refs are terrible and inconsistent is because *gasp* people are biased. On every single call the refs make you have the fan base of the team that got the favorable call saying it was the right call, and the other fan base calling foul. You can fire them all you want, you can hire brand new people, you can train them day and night and it won't matter. Everybody will still have problems with the refs the second there's a call against their team. The refs are as fine as they've ever been, they make human mistakes just like they always have, there's just better technology to highlight it now. It's a part of the game and it goes for and against every team and in the long run evens out.

#32 Hairy Kneel

Hairy Kneel

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

i think it may be a little far to call penalties from up there. i got to sit in the upper upper concourse at a game once, and it's really pretty far. no way you can see if someone actually high-sticked someone or if the guy just snapped his head back with no contact.

on the other hand, i would like to see the linesmen move off the ice. wrong calls most often have less of an impact, and linesmen take up too much space and screw up break outs.

only issue though, is that brawls often require 4 people getting involved in separating the teams. i feel like AHL games sometimes get out of hand because someone is getting pummeled while the other three refs have their hands tied.

I like this idea...one upstairs ref has instant video feed and can assess dives and embellishments faster plus 2 linesman can stay off ice behind a half door at each line ....tons of increased open ice! Some people just cannot get out of the friggn way! (Linesman can enter for fights.)

#33 Guest_Gumballthechewy_*

Guest_Gumballthechewy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

I like this idea...one upstairs ref has instant video feed and can assess dives and embellishments faster plus 2 linesman can stay off ice behind a half door at each line ....tons of increased open ice! Some people just cannot get out of the friggn way! (Linesman can enter for fights.)

This is actually a pretty good idea.

#34 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

Reffing unions are tight. If there is an incident, or poor performance by officials, etc, it is discussed internally. Whether a ref is disciplined, talked to, reamed out, or any other form of scrutiny, is all done behind closed doors, and we, the fans, will never hear a word of it.

NHLPA calling out the officiating would not do any good

That's one union that should be banned for sure.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.