The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

how come the NHLPA does not adress the Ref situation?

surtur

Guest Gumballthechewy

I'd hate to see the game slowed down any more by increased examination of plays in the middle of a game. Bad/missed calls go both ways over the course of a season. It all evens out, within a small margin of error. Besides, I like screaming at the TV when the refs make a horrible call/non-call (in my expert armchair opinion). It gets me fired up and makes me love watching the game even more. :)

I think allowing challenges for all calls would slow the game too much, especially since a few coaches would challenge every freaking call just because they could. That being said, I do think the NHL should move towards a system similar to the NFL that gives each coach a limited number of review requests per game. I don't think there should be a penalty if the call stands, but I do think there should be a possible penalty if a team requests a review just to waste time. Obviously it would be at the discretion of the refs and almost never used, I just don't want to see a team requesting a review of an obvious call just to break up the other team's momentum.

I would also like to see all goals/non-goals be reviewable, particularly as it relates to possible goalie interference which is currently not reviewable (I assume because they think it would delay the game too frequently, but if that's the case the refs need to get better at making the right calls at least most of the time.)

I would still not allow reviews on icing or off-side calls though. That actually would slow the game unnecessarily, and really what's the point? Once the play is stopped, the damage is done. Say a few curse words and move on (and pray you don't get a Kass unsportsmanlike call from a sensitive ref.)

a challenge wouldn't do anything about missed calls... and to be honest i shudder to think of an NHL coach throwing a little red towel on the ice to get video review on a penalty call. if anything, if any sort of 'challenge' were considered, i think it should be unlimited challenges per game....

and if the call was the correct one, 2 minutes for delay of game.

Watching a slow puck go across the line and bounce out with the ref saying NO GOAL the other night... The puck was clear of obstructions, was not moving tremendously fast, and the ref was waiting behind the net with a clean view down. If that ref can't make the right call in that situation, how is he expected to make any call at a reasonable distance at game speed?

i think it may be a little far to call penalties from up there. i got to sit in the upper upper concourse at a game once, and it's really pretty far. no way you can see if someone actually high-sticked someone or if the guy just snapped his head back with no contact.

on the other hand, i would like to see the linesmen move off the ice. wrong calls most often have less of an impact, and linesmen take up too much space and screw up break outs.

only issue though, is that brawls often require 4 people getting involved in separating the teams. i feel like AHL games sometimes get out of hand because someone is getting pummeled while the other three refs have their hands tied.

i think it may be a little far to call penalties from up there. i got to sit in the upper upper concourse at a game once, and it's really pretty far. no way you can see if someone actually high-sticked someone or if the guy just snapped his head back with no contact.

on the other hand, i would like to see the linesmen move off the ice. wrong calls most often have less of an impact, and linesmen take up too much space and screw up break outs.

only issue though, is that brawls often require 4 people getting involved in separating the teams. i feel like AHL games sometimes get out of hand because someone is getting pummeled while the other three refs have their hands tied.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I like this idea...one upstairs ref has instant video feed and can assess dives and embellishments faster plus 2 linesman can stay off ice behind a half door at each line ....tons of increased open ice! Some people just cannot get out of the friggn way! (Linesman can enter for fights.)

Reffing unions are tight. If there is an incident, or poor performance by officials, etc, it is discussed internally. Whether a ref is disciplined, talked to, reamed out, or any other form of scrutiny, is all done behind closed doors, and we, the fans, will never hear a word of it.

NHLPA calling out the officiating would not do any good

Archived