65 replies to this topic

#1 Bill F-ing Murray

Bill F-ing Murray

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

I remember when hammer came here and his hip check was devastating. Ohlund had the bigguns too...

This year I don't see the hits that make the other team think twice about entering our zone, playing with there head down or even hesitating on dump in's. Maybe i have a case of refereeitis and I am apparently blind.

Please enlighten me if I am wrong in the fact that our team looks like they finish their checks but at a reduced effort then what we have seen in previous canuck teams.

I see this:

and think it might only be the fact that the lock out hasn't ironed out the kinks yet.

interesting note:
Lappy has been in the top 35(2013) (11-2012) (26-2010) and the number of hits for the last 3 years is a total of 483
No other canuck in the top 40 in each of those years.

In my opinion we need a stronger forward that can also score.... they are in short supply and well saying what we need and acquiring them are 6 different things.

Posted Image

“Since the beginning of recorded history, which is defined by the invention of writing by the Sumerians around 6,000 years ago, historians have cataloged over 3700 supernatural beings, of which 2870 can be considered deities.

So next time someone tells me they believe in God, I’ll say “Oh which one? Zeus? Hades? Jupiter? Mars? Odin? Thor? Krishna? Vishnu? Ra?…” If they say “Just God. I only believe in the one God,”

I’ll point out that they are nearly as atheistic as me.I don’t believe in 2,870 gods, and they don’t believe in 2,869.”

Ricky Gervais

#2 Bill F-ing Murray

Bill F-ing Murray

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

I did find one:

Posted Image

“Since the beginning of recorded history, which is defined by the invention of writing by the Sumerians around 6,000 years ago, historians have cataloged over 3700 supernatural beings, of which 2870 can be considered deities.

So next time someone tells me they believe in God, I’ll say “Oh which one? Zeus? Hades? Jupiter? Mars? Odin? Thor? Krishna? Vishnu? Ra?…” If they say “Just God. I only believe in the one God,”

I’ll point out that they are nearly as atheistic as me.I don’t believe in 2,870 gods, and they don’t believe in 2,869.”

Ricky Gervais

#3 CowtownCanuck

CowtownCanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

The Hammer started getting called for low hits and clipping, he had to stop before he got suspended.

#4 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

The Hammer started getting called for low hits and clipping, he had to stop before he got suspended.

He got called for "tripping" Chris Stewart without even bending over. Most ridiculous call I've seen in a long time.

Only explanation is that the refs have been instructed to call hip checks, and Hamhuis was one of the targets. Because the ref obviously didn't really see the hit, but called it based on reputation.
Posted Image

#5 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,670 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

POPULAR

I miss Raffi

Posted Image

#6 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

He got called for "tripping" Chris Stewart without even bending over. Most ridiculous call I've seen in a long time.

Only explanation is that the refs have been instructed to call hip checks, and Hamhuis was one of the targets. Because the ref obviously didn't really see the hit, but called it based on reputation.

Next targets: the Sedins. When they score, it'll be a penalty and no goal. Anything to destroy the Canucks.

#7 MikeyBoy44

MikeyBoy44

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

Ballard used to be the king of hip checks. But the main reason for lack of hitting I find is the reffing. I don't even think they know what's legal and what isn't anymore.
Posted Image

#8 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

I miss the hipchecks.

Posted Image

#9 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

I'll admit, seeing people like Tanev get smoked by huge hits wouldn't hurt so much if we laid some on other people from time to time. I think that Tootoo's hit is what did us in in that game, after Kassian took that penalty, we wern't the same.

#10 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

I hate to say it, but I believe the NHL is going the way of the NBA/basketball where hard contact will be completely eliminated, and where the so-called pick and roll will be allowed...we're going to go from being a contact sport to one where the only incidental contact that is going to be allowed is where you establish a stationary position to block someone out. It's going to be like watching old-timers hockey.

I'm convinced the NHL is taking NFL's lead in their fear of litigation from retired players for post career issues (primarily undiagnosed/misdiagnosed head injuries; if that is allowed, the legal system would allow for lawsuits related to knee, shoulder, hip and all other debilitating injuries) and are making these adjustments on the fly.

So, the days of clean open ice body checks and classic hip checks are a thing of the past.

#11 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,661 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

We do miss Raffi Torres the human missile in this regard.

Hell, even big and fast Vic Oreskovich laid the odd guy out during our little run there.
Posted Image

#12 billabong

billabong

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

He got scared of shanny and now he doesn't hit at all...still effective but not as physical
Posted Image

#13 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

Hammer got hurt in the finals in game 1- I think. Pretty sure this is why we don't see him make so many big hits. Risk of injury is too high.
Posted Image
"Louuuuuuuuuu!" - Last game Attended: Vancouver vs. Penguins
Email me

#14 Jacare

Jacare

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

in a shortened and condensed season staying healthy is paramount, if you lose players to injury you're screwed and will miss the playoffs. the more physical your team plays the more its going to wear on the players and ultimatley cost you. our history with it aint that great either. hamhuis tryed to hip check lucic in the finals and got hurt and then boston ran away with it. vancovuer currently sits 13th in team hits, so middle of the pack. which is just fine. of the top 10 teams for team hits 8 currently do not sit in a playoff spot. the two that do are toronto, who sit first, and ottawa, who rank 7th for hits. and guess who sits dead last in team hits? with 275 fewer than toronto?.... Chicago. so i trust the canucks will ramp it up come playoff time, when they're not playing 7 games in 12 nights.

http://www.nhl.com/i...e=realTimeStats

Edited by Jacare, 25 February 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#15 Alexander.Edler

Alexander.Edler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

Man all those Ohlund hits in the OP vid are so clean. Miss #2 in blue!

Posted Image

#16 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

The highlight reel hits seem to result I an injury one way or the other every time now.

#17 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

Raffi Torres, Zac Rinaldo, Jordin Tootoo - Any one of these guys would be a glorious addition to the Canucks roster.

#18 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

Canucks hit like no other in the playoffs. Raffi gone hurts, but still, this team is loaded with guys who can lay the opposition out. As long as we keep winning, and we bring it in the playoffs, it's all good.

#19 Canucks fan in chicago

Canucks fan in chicago

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

Funny, how in 10-11 we had one of the least physical teams around and yet last year we have greatly improved physicality and only won one playoff game. Just because of one series everyone is all like "this team isn't tough enough" when in reality we need skill more than toughness.. I'd rather have four scoring lines than 2 lines of scoring and 2 grinding lines.

Edited by Canucks fan in chicago, 25 February 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#20 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

Gillis is a moron for letting Raffi walk.
Posted Image

#21 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

They need someone as a deterrent.
Someone from Chicago runs Daniel, you get someone to take a run at Kane/Toews/Sharp/etc. Borderline hit on Tanev by Detroit, you make sure someone like Ian White is on his rear every time you hit him.

#22 CanadianRugby

CanadianRugby

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

I miss Raffi

Same

#23 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

Volpatti, Weise, Lapierre, Burrows, Kesler, Booth, Higgins, Kassian ---> All strong physical side
Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Ballard, Garrison ---> All strong physical side

Unless we could switch a Raymond for a Nick Foligno type player, it is extremely unlikely we make this team more physical without sacrificing skill.

#24 icycold

icycold

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Funny, how in 10-11 we had one of the least physical teams around and yet last year we have greatly improved physicality and only won one playoff game. Just because of one series everyone is all like "this team isn't tough enough" when in reality we need skill more than toughness.. I'd rather have four scoring lines than 2 lines of scoring and 2 grinding lines.

no we have alot of grit.. not a lot of toughness... there's a difference.. compare someone 190-210 pounds around 5'11-6'1... with someone 225-235 pounds at 6'3-6'4 someone in the first category may be considered tough until someone in the secondary category shows up.. how many players in the second category do we have on this team?
HABS SUCK!!!

#25 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

Ditto. and they never really covered the big hits he had while in Van. They mainly focused on the more recent ones with TB. Sigh. Man, I miss Ohlie.

and I don't like hip checks. just keep remembering marchand's on salo going "Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!"
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#26 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

Volpatti, Weise, Lapierre, Burrows, Kesler, Booth, Higgins, Kassian ---> All strong physical side
Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Ballard, Garrison ---> All strong physical side

Unless we could switch a Raymond for a Nick Foligno type player, it is extremely unlikely we make this team more physical without sacrificing skill.

strong physical side , really ?

Gillis is a moron for letting Raffi walk.

we need a freight train, big time.

Canucks hit like no other in the playoffs. Raffi gone hurts, but still, this team is loaded with guys who can lay the opposition out. As long as we keep winning, and we bring it in the playoffs, it's all good.

:picard:

Hammer got hurt in the finals in game 1- I think. Pretty sure this is why we don't see him make so many big hits. Risk of injury is too high.

Hamhuis looks like he's about to cry sometimes. How about we get somebody nasty back there.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#27 Funky Fatcat

Funky Fatcat

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

#28 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,293 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

I'd think that the hit on Vermette would get called by today's standards for boarding...

Thing is, right now even clean hits (not targeting head, elbows in, no jump, no high-stick) sometimes get called illegal because it's hard or results in the guy getting injured (or not), and without hesitation it seems like it's justified that the other team can go at the hitter, who may have done so cleanly. Pretty sure that Gillis tells his team to stay (more or less) disciplined so they wouldn't have to risk getting long penalties or even suspensions from hitting too hard.

I still don't buy what the "get a freight train" folks are selling. Torres is not someone I'd want, since he throws dirty, momentum-changing hits that can affect his team's chances to win; I'd want someone who is clean as a hitter, who hits hard but straight up and shoulder to shoulder. The league probably wants guys like this (and I'd agree with them actually; hopefully Vancouver can pick someone like him)

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#29 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

^^ "Jesus loves you, everyon else thinks your an @$$hole" Best bumper sticker ever, sorry was that off topic?

Raffi, Ohlund, Bertuzzi, remember when the canucks had character??? Those were the days....

Edited by scottiecanuck, 25 February 2013 - 09:44 PM.

#30 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

I'd think that the hit on Vermette would get called by today's standards for boarding...

Thing is, right now even clean hits (not targeting head, elbows in, no jump, no high-stick) sometimes get called illegal because it's hard or results in the guy getting injured (or not), and without hesitation it seems like it's justified that the other team can go at the hitter, who may have done so cleanly. Pretty sure that Gillis tells his team to stay (more or less) disciplined so they wouldn't have to risk getting long penalties or even suspensions from hitting too hard.

I still don't buy what the "get a freight train" folks are selling. Torres is not someone I'd want, since he throws dirty, momentum-changing hits that can affect his team's chances to win; I'd want someone who is clean as a hitter, who hits hard but straight up and shoulder to shoulder. The league probably wants guys like this (and I'd agree with them actually; hopefully Vancouver can pick someone like him)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmmxFyrrStA

Wow, this kids a beast. Beautiful, clean, hard hits. This is what we need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.