The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Missing: Canucks and big hits

Bill F-ing Murray

I'd think that the hit on Vermette would get called by today's standards for boarding...

Thing is, right now even clean hits (not targeting head, elbows in, no jump, no high-stick) sometimes get called illegal because it's hard or results in the guy getting injured (or not), and without hesitation it seems like it's justified that the other team can go at the hitter, who may have done so cleanly. Pretty sure that Gillis tells his team to stay (more or less) disciplined so they wouldn't have to risk getting long penalties or even suspensions from hitting too hard.

I still don't buy what the "get a freight train" folks are selling. Torres is not someone I'd want, since he throws dirty, momentum-changing hits that can affect his team's chances to win; I'd want someone who is clean as a hitter, who hits hard but straight up and shoulder to shoulder. The league probably wants guys like this (and I'd agree with them actually; hopefully Vancouver can pick someone like him)

What is the obsession with height/weight?

Raffi Torres, Chris Neil, Matt Martin, Jordan Tootoo, Zack Kassian, Niklas Kronwall

Those guys are all listed as under 220 lbs.

I don't understand how not having anyone over 220lbs makes us a better team?

I was pointing out that the original poster's idea - that there is a whole "category" of supermassive players that we need more of - was questionable. There aren't many players around of that size, and even the ones who are that big aren't necessarily effective.

I'd think that the hit on Vermette would get called by today's standards for boarding...

Thing is, right now even clean hits (not targeting head, elbows in, no jump, no high-stick) sometimes get called illegal because it's hard or results in the guy getting injured (or not), and without hesitation it seems like it's justified that the other team can go at the hitter, who may have done so cleanly. Pretty sure that Gillis tells his team to stay (more or less) disciplined so they wouldn't have to risk getting long penalties or even suspensions from hitting too hard.

I still don't buy what the "get a freight train" folks are selling. Torres is not someone I'd want, since he throws dirty, momentum-changing hits that can affect his team's chances to win; I'd want someone who is clean as a hitter, who hits hard but straight up and shoulder to shoulder. The league probably wants guys like this (and I'd agree with them actually; hopefully Vancouver can pick someone like him)

Ever since Hamhuis suffered that injury in the playoffs, he's been reluctant to throw hip checks.

Edler doesnt seem to want to step up and hit people anymore too... I cant believe how easily the Wings playered entered out blueline, criss crossing and no one there to hit them.

The two open ice hits that I recall are Torres on Seabrook and Rome on Horton. Both times, the hits woke the dosey opposition up. The first on almost lost us the series, the second one lost us the cup. :sick:

I think the players are trying to build chemistry and develop their game right now. The toughness will be there for the playoffs. MG will probably add to team toughness at deadline.

Archived