65 replies to this topic

#31 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

Playoffs, puck battles and turnovers in our own end have been a problem, but not hitting.

#32 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

Funny, how in 10-11 we had one of the least physical teams around and yet last year we have greatly improved physicality and only won one playoff game. Just because of one series everyone is all like "this team isn't tough enough" when in reality we need skill more than toughness.. I'd rather have four scoring lines than 2 lines of scoring and 2 grinding lines.

In the 2011 playoffs I remember the Canucks being very physical. Especially in the Chicago series, I remember us intimidating the Hawks by laying the body and making big hits left and right. It was a big factor in many of our wins.

If I remember right, we were near the top of the league in hits.

Edited by etsen3, 25 February 2013 - 11:05 PM.

#33 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

Yeah, the first shift of that series we were physical..

#34 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

Last 2 playoffs, the only team that really out-hit us, was LA, but not by much. It didn't help that Edler and Kes forgot how to play hockey.

#35 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,608 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

All we need is for Edler to start hitting more again. He's got great size and knows how to hit clean and hard. When he wants to be, he can be a cement truck with his hits.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#36 mrsasaki

mrsasaki

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

Raffi Torres, Zac Rinaldo, Jordin Tootoo - Any one of these guys would be a glorious addition to the Canucks roster.

They all also combined for 5 suspensions and 3 fines last year.

I think if Rinaldo could tone it down he'd be perfect. I wouldn't mind Tootoo a lot but we all saw what he did last night after his hit, and he does charge a lot. Torres has too much of a reputation, but if he pulled a 180 like Matt Cooke hey why not eh.

I think another option could be Jared Boll. He's tough, he hits, he fights, just what everyone's preaching here.
CDC Sim Connected: Nashville GM
LOB (PS3): Boston GM

#37 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

no we have alot of grit.. not a lot of toughness... there's a difference.. compare someone 190-210 pounds around 5'11-6'1... with someone 225-235 pounds at 6'3-6'4 someone in the first category may be considered tough until someone in the secondary category shows up.. how many players in the second category do we have on this team?

How many players in that secondary category play regularly in this league?

#38 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

strong physical side , really ?

Yeah... I would say 5/6 of our d-men play a physical brand of hockey.

#39 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

They all also combined for 5 suspensions and 3 fines last year.

I think if Rinaldo could tone it down he'd be perfect. I wouldn't mind Tootoo a lot but we all saw what he did last night after his hit, and he does charge a lot. Torres has too much of a reputation, but if he pulled a 180 like Matt Cooke hey why not eh.

I think another option could be Jared Boll. He's tough, he hits, he fights, just what everyone's preaching here.

That doesn't bother me. If you want genuine edge and nastiness then the players that bring that are bound to cross the line the odd time. I personally still think they add enough value to a bottom 6 that you can look past the suspensions the general hate they receive. It's about winning Stanley Cups not about gaining league wide popularity. Although people are going to disagree, I think that this season for the most part these three have found a happy medium with their play. It's still early though..

#40 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

Raffi Torres is 2-0 vs the Blackhawks in the playoffs...Jussayin..

#41 Milk Hot Dog

Milk Hot Dog

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:11 AM

IT'S A TRAP! We're letting them think it's safe.... for now.
Nobody beats our Canucks' meat !

I don't typically make New Year's Resolutions, but the one thing I want to accomplish in 2012, aka the year of the MILK HOT DOG, is to ARREST SOMEONE. - Kevin WOLVERINE Bieksa (BEE-ecks-ah)

#42 Bill F-ing Murray

Bill F-ing Murray

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:46 AM

I'd think that the hit on Vermette would get called by today's standards for boarding...

Thing is, right now even clean hits (not targeting head, elbows in, no jump, no high-stick) sometimes get called illegal because it's hard or results in the guy getting injured (or not), and without hesitation it seems like it's justified that the other team can go at the hitter, who may have done so cleanly. Pretty sure that Gillis tells his team to stay (more or less) disciplined so they wouldn't have to risk getting long penalties or even suspensions from hitting too hard.

I still don't buy what the "get a freight train" folks are selling. Torres is not someone I'd want, since he throws dirty, momentum-changing hits that can affect his team's chances to win; I'd want someone who is clean as a hitter, who hits hard but straight up and shoulder to shoulder. The league probably wants guys like this (and I'd agree with them actually; hopefully Vancouver can pick someone like him)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmmxFyrrStA

This is what i see.... a player that makes good open ice hits much like ohlund. I don't see this in Van but they hit along the boards with few results.

Last 2 playoffs, the only team that really out-hit us, was LA, but not by much. It didn't help that Edler and Kes forgot how to play hockey.

2010-2011 playoff hits

Posted Image

as you can see we hit the other guys over 180 more times.

I see that our hit numbers during the season are mid pack but its not the numbers that are getting me right now but the quality.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
having a few open ice hitters could prove invaluable come playoffs. Through trade or soul searching something needs to give...

Edited by Bill F-ing Murray, 26 February 2013 - 06:52 AM.

Posted Image

“Since the beginning of recorded history, which is defined by the invention of writing by the Sumerians around 6,000 years ago, historians have cataloged over 3700 supernatural beings, of which 2870 can be considered deities.

So next time someone tells me they believe in God, I’ll say “Oh which one? Zeus? Hades? Jupiter? Mars? Odin? Thor? Krishna? Vishnu? Ra?…” If they say “Just God. I only believe in the one God,”

I’ll point out that they are nearly as atheistic as me.I don’t believe in 2,870 gods, and they don’t believe in 2,869.”

Ricky Gervais

#43 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,236 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

How many players in that secondary category play regularly in this league?

Good question.

There are 27 players who are at least 6'4" and 230 lbs who have played at least some hockey this year.

How many of them play regularly? Only 17 of them have played at least 10 games, with an average TOI of at least 12:00 minutes.

Canucks don't have a single player over 220 lbs.
Posted Image

#44 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Maybe i have a case of refereeitis and I am apparently blind.

You sir get a +1 for this line alone. I agree with your other points, but that was gold buddy.

no we have alot of grit.. not a lot of toughness... there's a difference.. compare someone 190-210 pounds around 5'11-6'1... with someone 225-235 pounds at 6'3-6'4 someone in the first category may be considered tough until someone in the secondary category shows up.. how many players in the second category do we have on this team?

We have 5 players that are 6'3 - 6'5.

Barker is in at 223 and although he hasn't played any games, he is on our roster and counts towards our salary cap, so he counts lol. Besides we have Booth at 212, Kassian at 214, Edler and Volpatti at 215, Alberts and Garrison at 218, and of course our biggest hitter Luongo at 217.

#45 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

Good question.

There are 27 players who are at least 6'4" and 230 lbs who have played at least some hockey this year.

How many of them play regularly? Only 17 of them have played at least 10 games, with an average TOI of at least 12:00 minutes.

What is the obsession with height/weight?

Raffi Torres, Chris Neil, Matt Martin, Jordan Tootoo, Zack Kassian, Niklas Kronwall

Those guys are all listed as under 220 lbs.

I don't understand how not having anyone over 220lbs makes us a better team?

#46 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

Double post

Edited by Kack Zassian, 26 February 2013 - 03:26 PM.

#47 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,236 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

What is the obsession with height/weight?

Raffi Torres, Chris Neil, Matt Martin, Jordan Tootoo, Zack Kassian, Niklas Kronwall

Those guys are all listed as under 220 lbs.

I don't understand how not having anyone over 220lbs makes us a better team?

I was pointing out that the original poster's idea - that there is a whole "category" of supermassive players that we need more of - was questionable. There aren't many players around of that size, and even the ones who are that big aren't necessarily effective.
Posted Image

#48 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

I was pointing out that the original poster's idea - that there is a whole "category" of supermassive players that we need more of - was questionable. There aren't many players around of that size, and even the ones who are that big aren't necessarily effective.

My apologies.

Theres this weird obsession with height/weight.

I find it ironic considering Rick Rypien showed us first hand that there is so much more to "toughness" than how much a player weighs.

#49 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Sort of like when Bieksa answered, "you say no, and then skate by him with the puck" when asked about what he would do if challenged to a fight by John Scott.

#50 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

Yeah... I would say 5/6 of our d-men play a physical brand of hockey.

You could say that about almost any team really....

Edited by TheGame., 26 February 2013 - 04:40 PM.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#51 JoshuaGuy

JoshuaGuy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

I'd think that the hit on Vermette would get called by today's standards for boarding...

Thing is, right now even clean hits (not targeting head, elbows in, no jump, no high-stick) sometimes get called illegal because it's hard or results in the guy getting injured (or not), and without hesitation it seems like it's justified that the other team can go at the hitter, who may have done so cleanly. Pretty sure that Gillis tells his team to stay (more or less) disciplined so they wouldn't have to risk getting long penalties or even suspensions from hitting too hard.

I still don't buy what the "get a freight train" folks are selling. Torres is not someone I'd want, since he throws dirty, momentum-changing hits that can affect his team's chances to win; I'd want someone who is clean as a hitter, who hits hard but straight up and shoulder to shoulder. The league probably wants guys like this (and I'd agree with them actually; hopefully Vancouver can pick someone like him)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmmxFyrrStA

Great hitter, but I saw at least 3 hits that would have resulted in clipping calls on Hamhuis or Ballard. Not penalties in my opinion, but Ballard/Hamhuis seem to have drawn the ire of NHL Referees in regards to hip checks.
Posted Image

#52 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

Ever since Hamhuis suffered that injury in the playoffs, he's been reluctant to throw hip checks.

Edler doesnt seem to want to step up and hit people anymore too... I cant believe how easily the Wings playered entered out blueline, criss crossing and no one there to hit them.

#53 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

Ever since Hamhuis suffered that injury in the playoffs, he's been reluctant to throw hip checks.

Edler doesnt seem to want to step up and hit people anymore too... I cant believe how easily the Wings playered entered out blueline, criss crossing and no one there to hit them.

I think your basing this off of 1 game...

#54 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

The two open ice hits that I recall are Torres on Seabrook and Rome on Horton. Both times, the hits woke the dosey opposition up. The first on almost lost us the series, the second one lost us the cup. :sick:

I think the players are trying to build chemistry and develop their game right now. The toughness will be there for the playoffs. MG will probably add to team toughness at deadline.

#55 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Is Ohlund still in the league?
Posted Image

#56 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

Is Ohlund still in the league?

Yeah, but he's not playing. Had surgery in 2011 and hasn't played since. There's speculation that his knees aren't ever going to heal enough for a return to playing hockey.
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#57 Hairy Kneel

Hairy Kneel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:17 AM

Everyone is hitting Tanev. Be nice to payback a few right away..put Bieksa or Alberts at 4th line wing to send a couple of crunching hits right back on their defenseman.

#58 CowtownCanuck

CowtownCanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

Based on what I see nightly in the NHL, we should be hammering guys into the boards from behind and head first, unless the other guy goes off the ice on a stretcher, it's a clean hit.

#59 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

I did find one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4kCkYM4Gvg

How did Volpatti not get a suspension or even a penalty for that hit?

#60 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

Playoffs, puck battles and turnovers in our own end have been a problem, but not hitting.

Agreed. The drive seems to be lacking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.