The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks need a new look.

FutureNHLGm

As I've said many times, I didn't make this thread because of the game before, I made it because they're looking eerily similar to the 11'12 squad and this team is not looking like a playoff team. Did the game last night give me more reason to make this thread? Yes. The inability to pull Luongo after 5 goals against and leave him in for 3 more and killing his confidence is just great coaching.....

1. This team has 4, count it 4 regular season losses, a quarter way through a shortened season and people are talking about overhauls. This, along with the ridiculous comments being posted left right and center, after last nights loss explains alot why players like Lou want out, the rest of the leagues fan's think van fans are idiots, and this 30 yr canuck fan realizes how adolescent the majority of Van fans have become.

2. Any changes the nucks need are not as a result of bad coaches, one loss, etc. They are simply tweeks to get this team ready for a run for the cup.

3. Do we need tweeks, of course, every team does. But can this team as is make a run, yes it can, it is arguably better than the 2011 team and just needs to get hot at the right time. I wouldn't want to be a Chi fan right now, yes they are hot but they can't keep this up...if anything LA proved when you need to get hot is not regular season, its going into the playoffs.

4. Minor tweeks, yes. here they are

a. Move Garrison to the third pairing until he is comfortable in the system. He is a good player but having a tough time adjusting. Appears as though this is common with FLA players (Booth still finding his role etc).

b. Move Garrison off the pp with Edler. Both are shots. Garrison should be the shot on the second. Edler and Hammer on first pair, Garrison with Tanev on the second. (or Bieksa).

c. Move Kassian back to the second or first line. He is going to be there in playoffs, its time to start getting him ready and let him play his game. If he is with the Sedin's he knows his role, and we all saw what that showed, terrific play, fighting, hitting etc. You move him around and he gets a bit confused as to how he should contribute. That being said, I was happy with his response last night on the hit on Tanev, Tootoo is a feline. And I'm even glad he took the chirping penalty. He is getting mad, and let him. Thats when he's at his best. AV must stop trying to 'perfect' him, and just let him play his game. It's ok if he's on the third if they can get some chemistry going, but he is a BIGGER part of the solution here than many realize. We need him to play the game we traded him for. AV must allow that to happen, not reign it in. He brings emotion and tenacity.

d. Make the Lou trade soon. Not that I think having both goalies isn't a great luxury, but its affecting both goalies whether they like it or not. Goalies need to get into a rhythm, play a string of games. Yes its good to keep both sharp, but its also mentally draining to deal with the" am I in tonight, am I not". Moroever, a trade needs to bring us a third line center who hits and brings emotion and grit. Right now that is what this team is lacking. Size and aggressiveness. Now as I said, Kassian can bring that, but we need one more for the playoffs. Get us a first rounder with that player and we're set.

Lines

Sedins/Kassian

Higgins/Kesler/Schroder (give him the marty st. louis role on this line)

Raymond/New Center/ Booth

Weisse/Volp Lappy / Hansen

all of a sudden, each line has size, skill, speed, and grit (other than the fourth which is a terrific checking line).

As I've said many times, I didn't make this thread because of the game before, I made it because they're looking eerily similar to the 11'12 squad and this team is not looking like a playoff team. Did the game last night give me more reason to make this thread? Yes. The inability to pull Luongo after 5 goals against and leave him in for 3 more and killing his confidence is just great coaching.....

OP, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

The Canucks need a tweak, yes, at the very least. Just as when we brought in Manny and Ehrhoff the dynamic of the team changed and it helped elevate the rest of the roster. I don't argue with that logic because AV has let some guys get too comfortable which works well for some personality types and is detrimental to others.

The obvious goal is to give an injection to the line-up, either through player acquisition or coaching change, without scrapping our current model. The time may come to do that but the management has decided that time is not yet. Don't get your hopes up that it will happen this season either.

For a long time the team has been seeking a #1 powerhouse d-man. I don't think that is a secret to anyone but we have been unable to acquire one due to whatever reason. Since that fact has become apparent, the team has instead chosen to fill up the roster with above average but not elite blue liners. To me, that is the logical course of action.

If depth additions at the trade deadline, acquired for picks, are not enough to vault this team back to the final then I do believe you will see some major changes, and my guess would be at the coaching level as well.

Essentially, don't get your hopes up that there will be anything more than complimentary pieces added this year.

This upcoming offseason? I'd be darned disappointed if the status quo is the game plan.

Man Canucks fans are some of the most doom and gloom around. Luongo has one bad game TRADE HIM, FIRE MIKE GILLIS!

Calm down guys. We're leading our division. We'll be in the playoffs again this year. Take a step back, poor yourself a drink, and clam down.

Oh please stop with the 10-4-4 record BS. Lets he honest here, we're 6-0-1 against the division. That's SIX wins of our ten. Do the math, that's 60%. That record is highly inflated due to our weak division. Take away NW games and our record: 4-4-3. Yes, a 0.500 team.

That's how we're playing right now, a .500 hockey club.

Yep, as I said in another thread, despite their poor play, a win tomorrow and they will end February 8-2-2. Not sure how much better it could be unless people expect us to win every game.

If this team actually starts playing up to their ability, they can be a very good team.

I'll go so far as to say that a NEW LOOK would be to make Ballard the puck carrier on the PP.

He's the best skater and passer on the blue line. It's a wonder we haven't seen it yet considering how disorderly and plodding Edler has looked in that role. Eddie's mis-suited there and should be the guy receiving passes from Ballard at the point.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Hello. As you all know, the 2012-2013 Canucks are looking a lot like the 2011-2012 Canucks. This is a huge problem, as coasting into the playoffs and squeaking out wins really didn't seem to work in the playoffs and you all know what round we got knocked out in. I am here to offer a whole new look to the Canucks.

Step 1: Fire AV, Newell Brown, Bowness.

Step 2: Hire Lindy Ruff, Another Special Teams Coach, and another associate coach.

Step 3: Trade Ballard or Garrison for a capable shutdown RH shot. When a lefty has to play Right D, he can throw the whole pairing off and screw up his positioning.

Step 4: Trade for a 3rd line center. Whether it be picks, prospects or even a player trade, (Schneider trade, Luongo trade etc,) We need that defensive 3rd line shutdown center.

Step 5: Bag Skate these lazy D-men and every time they play a bad game, take them out and replace them with other Candidates such as Barker, Alberts or Vandermeer.

I think these are the key changes the Canucks need to become a contender again and the firings of AV, NB, and Bowness will help light a fire under their butts to start performing.

Thank you.

Oh please stop with the 10-4-4 record BS. Lets he honest here, we're 6-0-1 against the division. That's SIX wins of our ten. Do the math, that's 60%. That record is highly inflated due to our weak division. Take away NW games and our record: 4-4-3. Yes, a 0.500 team.

That's how we're playing right now, a .500 hockey club.

WTF has Lindy Ruff ever won? A whole lotta nothing! In fact his record looks an awful lot like AV's except AV's career winning % is 21 points higher.

This would be a sideways move, if anything. If the Canucks are going to change coaches, let's at least bring in a winner and let's do it after this short year, not during it.

Seriously... One bad thumping and CDC is all, "ZOMYGOD!!!! TRADEZ THE PLAYERZ!!!! FIREZ ALL THEM COACHEZZZ!!!! BLOW UP THE TEAMZZZ FOR NATHAN MACKINNONZZZZ OR DROuINZ11!!!!!11!!1!!!!

Archived