270 replies to this topic

#91 dirk diggler

dirk diggler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

Lindy Ruff? GTFO that's just stupid. He hasn't even won a cup..he's basically like AV in terms of success.
"If I claim to be a wise man it surely means that I don't know..."

#92 FutureNHLGm

FutureNHLGm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

I had a thought. Maybe we can, if it's possible, "demote" Newell Brown to the Wolves and make Nolan Baumgartner our Special Teams coach. May help bring a whole new strategy to the Canucks' PP. Just a thought.

#93 FutureNHLGm

FutureNHLGm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

dp

Edited by FutureNHLGm, 25 February 2013 - 06:43 PM.

#94 dirk diggler

dirk diggler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Sedins are phoning it in...their heart has left the building you can see it in their eyes. Plus they are huge pussies and it's kind of annoying.
"If I claim to be a wise man it surely means that I don't know..."

#95 EagleShield

EagleShield

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

Our form right now matters little. If we're playing like this in April, I'll be worried. We've got 3rd locked down, due to lack of competition in the division, and I think we'll catch Anaheim by the end of the year. Really, we have a 3 month preseason, a month to get into gear, and then the big time starts in May.

10-4-4 is considered a slow start in very few other teams. Don't forget, the all conquering Black Hawks have twice been dragged into a S/O with us.

#96 FutureNHLGm

FutureNHLGm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

Lindy Ruff? GTFO that's just stupid. He hasn't even won a cup..he's basically like AV in terms of success.

A coach that actually has some emotion, defends his players, and isn't a gum chewing mute is basically like AV? Yeah okay. Cup or no cup he's a better option.

#97 FutureNHLGm

FutureNHLGm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

Oh, and by the way.

Lindy Ruff's Playoff record:57-44

AV's playoff record: 33-31.

There's your success.

#98 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,436 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

A coach that actually has some emotion, defends his players, and isn't a gum chewing mute is basically like AV? Yeah okay. Cup or no cup he's a better option.

AV is the better coach. Calm cool and collected is the way to go.

#99 FutureNHLGm

FutureNHLGm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

AV is the better coach. Calm cool and collected is the way to go.

Not sure if sarcastic.

#100 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

How often have we seen the Canucks play "on their game" since the Bruins game last year? Yeah, not a lot. I'm worrying about games now because in the regular season last year, this is exactly how we looked. Playing crap for 40 minutes and making up for it by squeaking out a win from really good goaltending. The Canucks need a change. The gum chewing pansy needs to go. End of story.

And don't give me the "Oh, he brought us to game 7 of the finals." The players brought THEMSELVES to the finals, not AV. Is he a good coach? Yes. But the Canucks need a new face coaching them. It's time for a change.

I Respect your opinion, But do you really think a coaching change is in order? Hey if AV had a losing record then fine go for it. I recall in the finals that AV wanted to pull Loungo after 5 goals in Boston but it was Lui himself that wanted to play on. So unless you were in the dressing room its just speculation on your part as to why he didn't pull him earlier.So what has Ruff done to get your attention? He didn't always have a winning record. In the past 10 years his team only qualify for the playoffs 4 times. And the last two times his team couldn't get out of the fist round. There was some years he had more talented teams but couldn't get the job done. He has only taken Buffalo to the finals once and that was 13 years ago. So was it the players that got them to the finals or Lindy? All I'm saying is a change isn't always necessary to make a change this early in the season. Its hard to judge when we only have a half a season and a week of training camp. You could say look at Chicago but its the playoffs that counts.

#101 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

Probably the worst uniforms in the league. The team should start their changes from there...

I didn't know jeresys won you Stanley Cups!?

Quick! Start a petition to get the jerseys changed!!

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#102 The Magician

The Magician

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

Oh please stop with the 10-4-4 record BS. Lets he honest here, we're 6-0-1 against the division. That's SIX wins of our ten. Do the math, that's 60%. That record is highly inflated due to our weak division. Take away NW games and our record: 4-4-3. Yes, a 0.500 team.

That's how we're playing right now, a .500 hockey club.

God people forget we beat Chicago who smashed the winning streak to start a season?

cL3GIZK.jpg

Credit to Parise11 for the amazing sig!

#103 FutureNHLGm

FutureNHLGm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

I Respect your opinion, But do you really think a coaching change is in order? Hey if AV had a losing record then fine go for it. I recall in the finals that AV wanted to pull Loungo after 5 goals in Boston but it was Lui himself that wanted to play on. So unless you were in the dressing room its just speculation on your part as to why he didn't pull him earlier.So what has Ruff done to get your attention? He didn't always have a winning record. In the past 10 years his team only qualify for the playoffs 4 times. And the last two times his team couldn't get out of the fist round. There was some years he had more talented teams but couldn't get the job done. He has only taken Buffalo to the finals once and that was 13 years ago. So was it the players that got them to the finals or Lindy? All I'm saying is a change isn't always necessary to make a change this early in the season. Its hard to judge when we only have a half a season and a week of training camp. You could say look at Chicago but its the playoffs that counts.

We need a new change. It's simple as that. We need a guy who doesn't sit on leads and expect to keep them, shows some damn emotion once in a while, doesn't demote players like Kassian for making the smallest mistakes and drools over players of the likes of Aaron Rome and Dale Weise. AV's a decent coach but his time is up.

#104 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,158 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

God people forget we beat Chicago who smashed the winning streak to start a season?

Not to mention we took them to a shootout after they lead 3-1 in the last 5 minutes.

This team has the skill to win despite poor play. They just need the work ethic right now to go along with their skill.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#105 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

I never said they were playing their game before that. That's why they sputtered into the playoffs.

The Canucks are no different than any team. Every team needs to be playing their best hockey going into the playoffs, otherwise it's unlikely they're going to make it far.

As for this team not being able to sustain long stretches of good play; you don't win a president's trophy without being able to do that. This team went 36-5-7 over a 3 and a half month span last year starting halfway through november. Which started a month and a half into the season; basically just where we're at right now.

This team has always been a slow starter. Anyone who doesn't know that either doesn't follow this team very closely, or is a new fan. To say that this team can't dominate for long stretches of time is just ignorant, since they have proven that ability every single year for the last 3 or 4 years.

They had a good stretch last year but that was due largely to their goaltending (just like their 6 game streak this year), the "team" was not dominant. Also, they played a number of those games against weak divisional opponents last year (Calgary, Edmonton, Minnesota) that made them look better than they were.

Their best game of the year was against Boston but in winning, Cory had to make 44 saves and the Nucks lost 2 guys to injury and never played the same after that.

Yes they can play at a level that the fans all want to see. I'm just not convinced they can sustain that kind of play.

The slow start excuse gets pretty tiring. They have the same preparation as all teams so what casues their famous "slow start". Must be a mental issue, perhaps the same one that makes them show up too often unprepared to play.

#106 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

Not to mention we took them to a shootout after they lead 3-1 in the last 5 minutes.

This team has the skill to win despite poor play. They just need the work ethic right now to go along with their skill.

Glad you brought up that Chicago game. I think that game illustrated well why fans are worried about this team. They were totally out-played and out-classed by Chicago for 57 minutes and somehow manage two fortuitous goals within a couple of minutes to tie it up and get a point. Suddenly (to some) this becomes a great battle that shows the Nucks can compete with the league's best. REALLY! DELUSIONAL?!!

Thirty scoring chances wer given up. Most of them class A. Cory had to stand on his head to keep this within reach. The Nucks had no business even being in that game.

Unfortunately, that happens quite often and calls into question how good is this team? Are they over-rated? or underachieving? So far, the team hasn't answered that question very well.

For much of last year and so far this year, they look like an average (.500) team with stellar goaltending, playing in a weak division. Maybe that's what they are?

#107 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

LA Kings are the Brieres. Suck in the Regular season, Dominate in the playoffs.

Canucks are the Semins. "Dominate" in the regular season, suck in the playoffs (as of the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals)

You're still missing the point..You cant base a whole teams character on one season..If anything,last season proved that you should expect the unexpected.

#108 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

Hello. As you all know, the 2012-2013 Canucks are looking a lot like the 2011-2012 Canucks. This is a huge problem, as coasting into the playoffs and squeaking out wins really didn't seem to work in the playoffs and you all know what round we got knocked out in. I am here to offer a whole new look to the Canucks.

Step 1: Fire AV, Newell Brown, Bowness.

Step 2: Hire Lindy Ruff, Another Special Teams Coach, and another associate coach.

Step 3: Trade Ballard or Garrison for a capable shutdown RH shot. When a lefty has to play Right D, he can throw the whole pairing off and screw up his positioning.

Step 4: Trade for a 3rd line center. Whether it be picks, prospects or even a player trade, (Schneider trade, Luongo trade etc,) We need that defensive 3rd line shutdown center.

Step 5: Bag Skate these lazy D-men and every time they play a bad game, take them out and replace them with other Candidates such as Barker, Alberts or Vandermeer.

I think these are the key changes the Canucks need to become a contender again and the firings of AV, NB, and Bowness will help light a fire under their butts to start performing.

Thank you.

Alberts was one of our best D last night :) , 5 games in 7 nights, might as well rotate Barker and Alberts in those guys need ice time
if we get the same results this spring , i.e quick exit, first round, which it is starting to smell like to me,then maybe consider replacing gum chewing laughing guy and his assistants, these guys don't respond to AV's buddy routine, they come out flat all the time+ play 30-40 minutes a game (as a team) , maybe its also GM's fault as this team still doesn't have enough grit/size sandpaper/respect /intimidation factor, this has been a problem for years now,
Lindy Ruff might be on a shortlist this summer.
This team is 2-3 pieces short, need to upgrade small guys into playoff savage ready beasts.

You ever think that gum chewing goof is going to bag skate his Dmen? No. He'd rather make out with Aaron Rome at the Fairmont during his time off.

dont worry about the 8-3 loss boys , let me watch you do yoga instead of practise
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416855

1. This team has 4, count it 4 regular season losses, a quarter way through a shortened season and people are talking about overhauls. This, along with the ridiculous comments being posted left right and center, after last nights loss explains alot why players like Lou want out, the rest of the leagues fan's think van fans are idiots, and this 30 yr canuck fan realizes how adolescent the majority of Van fans have become.

2. Any changes the nucks need are not as a result of bad coaches, one loss, etc. They are simply tweeks to get this team ready for a run for the cup.

3. Do we need tweeks, of course, every team does. But can this team as is make a run, yes it can, it is arguably better than the 2011 team and just needs to get hot at the right time. I wouldn't want to be a Chi fan right now, yes they are hot but they can't keep this up...if anything LA proved when you need to get hot is not regular season, its going into the playoffs.

4. Minor tweeks, yes. here they are

a. Move Garrison to the third pairing until he is comfortable in the system. He is a good player but having a tough time adjusting. Appears as though this is common with FLA players (Booth still finding his role etc).

b. Move Garrison off the pp with Edler. Both are shots. Garrison should be the shot on the second. Edler and Hammer on first pair, Garrison with Tanev on the second. (or Bieksa).

c. Move Kassian back to the second or first line. He is going to be there in playoffs, its time to start getting him ready and let him play his game. If he is with the Sedin's he knows his role, and we all saw what that showed, terrific play, fighting, hitting etc. You move him around and he gets a bit confused as to how he should contribute. That being said, I was happy with his response last night on the hit on Tanev, Tootoo is a feline. And I'm even glad he took the chirping penalty. He is getting mad, and let him. Thats when he's at his best. AV must stop trying to 'perfect' him, and just let him play his game. It's ok if he's on the third if they can get some chemistry going, but he is a BIGGER part of the solution here than many realize. We need him to play the game we traded him for. AV must allow that to happen, not reign it in. He brings emotion and tenacity.

d. Make the Lou trade soon. Not that I think having both goalies isn't a great luxury, but its affecting both goalies whether they like it or not. Goalies need to get into a rhythm, play a string of games. Yes its good to keep both sharp, but its also mentally draining to deal with the" am I in tonight, am I not". Moroever, a trade needs to bring us a third line center who hits and brings emotion and grit. Right now that is what this team is lacking. Size and aggressiveness. Now as I said, Kassian can bring that, but we need one more for the playoffs. Get us a first rounder with that player and we're set.

Lines

Sedins/Kassian
Higgins/Kesler/Schroder (give him the marty st. louis role on this line)
Raymond/New Center/ Booth
Weisse/Volp Lappy / Hansen

all of a sudden, each line has size, skill, speed, and grit (other than the fourth which is a terrific checking line).

no Burrows ? cmon

Id like to see a thug like Ruff get the bench next after AV
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#109 FutureNHLGm

FutureNHLGm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

dont worry about the 8-3 loss boys , let me watch you do yoga instead of practise
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416855

Aha. What a joke. Thanks for the link.

AV: "Oh you guys lost 8-3? No problem. Let me set you up a yoga class and then a spa day to reward you for such a great game"

Ruff: "This is not acceptable. Get ready for a lengthy bag skate you lazy men"

#110 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,752 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

Sorry if this sounds mean, but you should change your name from FutureNHLGM to something else
( NHLGMWanabe ) - for you will never be a GM in the NHL by doing knee jerk reactions...

You know its kinda hard just to get along today
Our subject isn't cool, but he thinks it anyway
He may not have a clue, and he may not have style
But everything he lacks, well he makes up in denial
So don't deflate, play it straight
You know he really doesn't get it anyway
Gonna play the field, keep it real
For you know a way, for you know a way
So if you don't break, just over compensate
At least you know you can always go on Ricki Lake
The world needs wannabees
Hey, hey, do the brand new thing!

Edited by Heretic, 25 February 2013 - 07:39 PM.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#111 FutureNHLGm

FutureNHLGm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

Sorry if this sounds mean, but you should change your name from FutureNHLGM to something else
( NHLGMWanabe ) - for you will never be a GM in the NHL by doing knee jerk reactions...

I have a Bachelor of Sports Management and am currently working within the Sound Tigers organization. What do you have?

#112 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,536 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

You want a 'New Look' Canucks? Here you go:

To Buf: Edler, Booth, 3rd 2103
To Van: Myers, Ott

To Was: 2nd 2013, Weise
To Van: Chimera

Sedins-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Schroeder
Raymond-Ott-Hansen
Chimera-Lappy-Higgins

Hamhius-Bieksa
Garrison-Myers
Ballard-Tanev

Schneider
Lou (trade at the deadline for picks/prospects)

It's more balanced....but is it better?!? Because that's the question regarding any 'New Look.'

Edited by theminister, 25 February 2013 - 07:47 PM.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#113 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,752 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

I have a Bachelor of Sports Management and am currently working within the Sound Tigers organization. What do you have?

11,981 posts

Canucks fan since 1975...

I never said I would be an NHL GM neither nor that I was better than you - just pointing out that I can't see you ever becoming one.

BTW - good GM's are also humble.

Edited by Heretic, 25 February 2013 - 07:45 PM.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#114 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

And all the girlies say I'm pretty fly for a white guy.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#115 FutureNHLGm

FutureNHLGm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

To Buf: Edler, Booth, 3rd 2013

Sedins-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Schroeder
Raymond-Ott-Hansen
Chimera-Lappy-Higgins

Hamhius-Bieksa
Garrison-Myers
Ballard-Tanev

Schneider

It's more balanced....but is it better?!? Because that's the question regarding any 'New Look.'

I like it. Not sure if the Sabres would do it but from my perspective. We have that Big RH Dman we've always needed. Every Dman is playing on their right side, and we get Ott- The perfect player for a 3rd line center position.

I also agree that Chimera is a better player than Weise and I think Washington accepts that deal as they're out of the playoff race right now.

#116 FutureNHLGm

FutureNHLGm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

11,981 posts

I never said I would be an NHL GM neither nor that I was better than you - just pointing out that I can't see you ever becoming one.

Fair enough. That's your opinion.

#117 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

11,981 posts

Bingo...unless your name is Burkie!!!

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#118 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,536 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

I like it. Not sure if the Sabres would do it but from my perspective. We have that Big RH Dman we've always needed. Every Dman is playing on their right side, and we get Ott- The perfect player for a 3rd line center position.

I also agree that Chimera is a better player than Weise and I think Washington accepts that deal as they're out of the playoff race right now.

Wouldn't that line-up have trouble scoring though?

You generate a different look from the backend, and check better, but wouldn't there still be a hole on the 2nd line?

That was my point really. When you try to improve in an area you tend to lose in another unless you are offloading picks for FAs.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#119 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

To Buf: Edler, Booth, 3rd 2103

Sedins-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Schroeder
Raymond-Ott-Hansen
Chimera-Lappy-Higgins

Hamhius-Bieksa
Garrison-Myers
Ballard-Tanev

Schneider

Vancouver is getting short end but we need some beef,now imagine if you upgraded Raymond and schroeder with pieces from goalie trade, get a couple more power forwards, then we might have a contender.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#120 FutureNHLGm

FutureNHLGm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Wouldn't that line-up have trouble scoring though?

You generate a different look from the backend, and check better, but wouldn't there still be a hole on the 2nd line?

That was my point really. When you try to improve in an area you tend to lose in another unless you are offloading picks for FAs.

I don't think so, actually. I think a change of coaching and having the defence playing on their right sides will help this team a lot. Myers isn't a HUGE offensive drop off from Edler and Ott put up similar numbers as Booth last season. Defence and grit wins you championships, which is what we'd be getting from this deal.

And yes, picks can be offloaded PLUS a goalie trade could bring you that 2nd line player to make the team even deeper.

Edited by FutureNHLGm, 25 February 2013 - 07:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.