The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks need a new look.

FutureNHLGm

Where else could I post it? Lol. I could choose hfboards but that has average fans too. Unless you give me an official "Only people with experience in managing a hockey team" can post forum, I'll gladly go there. Outside of my experience, I'm just another Canuck fan. And again, this is the first time I've been on these forums as I've lurked hfboards for a while and they don't talk much about what we're talking about so.... Doesn't everyone have the freedom to post where they want regardless of what they are?

Glad to see you were successful at getting the job, but within your post is the problem. You assumed you were the only one to come up with what you proposed in your post. When others stated your post was nothing new,you came back with that no one else thought of what you have posted. Now if you had read this forum before posting you would see numerous similar posts. Also you would see this is not a friendly place to post repeated topics.

I still find it a little off that you would post here, when you have the ears of other GMs to talk about this kind of thing. I mean if you toke 1 minute to read this forum you would see there are not a lot of positive feed back of people's proposals.

Yeah, I'm gonna go up to opposing team AHL Gm's and discuss the Canucks. Yeah, okay. I was born and raised in Vancouver and am in Connecticut strictly for work and I came on wanting to discuss the Canucks. Is that a problem? People on this forum are sure welcoming of newcomers with logical things to say. Oh, and if people have posted the same thing as me, don't you think they see the problem too? It's not that hard to address. I just organized it into one thread on a step by step basis.

Go be a professor. And why does it matter what my position with the team is? Let's just say I was chosen over a good number of candidates for the position. Let's stay on topic unless someone wants to make another thread discussing my username? I'll happy discuss me with you in there.

I think one thing that makes Tanev and Ballard our best pairing is the fact that Tanev is a righty and they're both playing on their correct side. Trading Garrison might be our best option. Also, Corrado isn't ready. A veteran RH D-man to play with Edler or Hamhuis would really help the team. The D needs a proven leader- Someone like Willie Mitchell was to us. I like your post but the Coaching staff really does need a change. We can't sit on leads anymore and keep goalies in for 8 goals against. Also, someone to better coach the defence and someone to change the pp and eliminate that stupid drop pass would do wonders for this team.

I was just getting to your OP...

Firing the entire coaching staff and making two trades at the midway point of a short season sounds like a short-sighted, knee-jerk reaction to dismantle a 6th place club mid-season. Bag skating your team is a junior coaching ploy. Do you think that making professional players skate and treating them as juveniles is going to affect the team in a positive manner? It will alienate them, not motivate them.

Perhaps you should sit down and speak with the Sound Tigers management and learn? Oh wait... maybe not... Garth Snow is the GM of the Sound Tigers and the Islanders.

LOL

Hey, there's a great idea! Just think of the wonderful signal that'd be for future free agents otherwise inclined to sign with the Canucks!

You mean that same drop pass that Detroit employs on the PP (3 of 5 against Van) and which they incorporated from the Canucks system?

Which team will you be the GM for in the future, and when? I'm sure that city's fans will be in for a treat.

Not a knee jerk reaction. Should have been done ages ago when we coasted to the playoffs after the Boston game. And yes, I believe professional players should be coached in a manner not of AV's "Oh you lost 8-3? I wanna watch you do yoga and I booked a manicure session for all of you later!" They're full grown athletes who need a spark lit under their butts. They simply don't care. The defense is incredibly lazy and you think AV's calm and cool approach is gonna change that? No.... And did I say the changes had to be made now? They can be made from here until the trade deadline. I don't know where you got a "knee jerk reaction" from.

Never said I was better than anyone, I'm just saying I have more experience. I had 4 years of getting my Bachelor in Sports Management compared to fans who sit at home and watch hockey. That's all I'm saying and to say I have bad qualities when this thread isn't even about how much I know, it's a step by step solution I've proposed. I have to say I've achieved a lot. I was chose over quite a few candidates for the position i'm in now so I'd say that's achieving something. Anyways, this thread isn't about that so can we stay on topic?

Would you rather trade Ballard who's playing great with Tanev or Garrison? I'd give the guy until the trade deadline to prove he fits on this team and if he doesn't adjust by then, we consider trading him. The drop pass may work for Detroit, but look at our PP this season. Wow, what a great one.

You sort of missed my point.

I'm glad your formal education got you a good career job. What you do in that career is what will determine whether you are successful or not. It is in the application of knowledge not the acquisition of it that success or failure is achieved. BTW - schooling is not experience, it is education. Experience is what you will have once you have applied that knowledge for a good many years.

As for your credentials not being the issue, you were the one that chose to make them the justification for your comments here.

I know a guy who had 1 year of business school and he built an empire worth billions. There are posters on here that, while not having your formal education, have been students of the game since before you were born. I woud venture a guess they know far more than you based on actual observation over many years and their opinions are just as valid if not more so.

On topic - as you requested - Many on here have been posting that change is needed both in the personnel on the ice and beind the bench. Nothing new in yoru suggestions. Your suggestion about lighting a fire under their butts and bag skating them is interesting but sounds overly symplistic and more like something someone who has studied how to be a GM but has never actually been one would say. These are human beings not questions on an exam or chapters in a book. Surely you studied and can offer more creative means to motivate professional athletes?

I don't disagree that a new message (coach) might be at least part of the answer and have posted the same myself on these boards. Having said that, I believe it is highly unlikely there will be a coaching change (coming off a President's Cup last year) until the end of this season at the earliest and then only if the Nucks faulter badly.

I haven't seen the PP been shortchanged by the drop pass specifically, but then, perhaps you're watching the games under the influence, so to speak. Or perhaps you're trolling with a digital net and a borrowed IP.

Your first sentence is provocative , but follows no known rules of logic. Because I don't want to trade Garrison means it comes down to a choice between Garrison or Ballard as to who HAS to be traded? Do you think that GM Gillis is unhappy with Garrison? He's stated that a new team/system is an adjustment, which it is. Garrison's already showing signs of improvement, not that he was a bum in the first few games anyway.

And with your trigger finger, you'd have traded an underperforming Ballard long ago. But look at him now. He's playing great, you admit. But with your logic, you'd already have him shipped off when his value was low.

Which team again was it you have the inside edge on for GM?

Hello. As you all know, the 2012-2013 Canucks are looking a lot like the 2011-2012 Canucks. This is a huge problem, as coasting into the playoffs and squeaking out wins really didn't seem to work in the playoffs and you all know what round we got knocked out in. I am here to offer a whole new look to the Canucks.

Step 1: Fire AV, Newell Brown, Bowness.

Step 2: Hire Lindy Ruff, Another Special Teams Coach, and another associate coach.

Step 3: Trade Ballard or Garrison for a capable shutdown RH shot. When a lefty has to play Right D, he can throw the whole pairing off and screw up his positioning.

Step 4: Trade for a 3rd line center. Whether it be picks, prospects or even a player trade, (Schneider trade, Luongo trade etc,) We need that defensive 3rd line shutdown center.

Step 5: Bag Skate these lazy D-men and every time they play a bad game, take them out and replace them with other Candidates such as Barker, Alberts or Vandermeer.

I think these are the key changes the Canucks need to become a contender again and the firings of AV, NB, and Bowness will help light a fire under their butts to start performing.

Thank you.

Hello. As you all know, the 2012-2013 Canucks are looking a lot like the 2011-2012 Canucks. This is a huge problem, as coasting into the playoffs and squeaking out wins really didn't seem to work in the playoffs and you all know what round we got knocked out in. I am here to offer a whole new look to the Canucks.

Step 1: Fire AV, Newell Brown, Bowness.

Step 2: Hire Lindy Ruff, Another Special Teams Coach, and another associate coach.

Step 3: Trade Ballard or Garrison for a capable shutdown RH shot. When a lefty has to play Right D, he can throw the whole pairing off and screw up his positioning.

Step 4: Trade for a 3rd line center. Whether it be picks, prospects or even a player trade, (Schneider trade, Luongo trade etc,) We need that defensive 3rd line shutdown center.

Step 5: Bag Skate these lazy D-men and every time they play a bad game, take them out and replace them with other Candidates such as Barker, Alberts or Vandermeer.

I think these are the key changes the Canucks need to become a contender again and the firings of AV, NB, and Bowness will help light a fire under their butts to start performing.

Thank you.

Archived