The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] Darren Haydar

zombieksa

I think that Darren Haydar has never been given the chance to prove himself at the NHL level and may actually have something to contribute to the team.

He is not a large guy but he manages to put up some great numbers in the AHL including 7 pts in his last 3 games (player of the week).

He is also a RWer, with Kassian's inconsistant play and Hansen better suited for a 3rd line role I think signing him to a league minimum contract could be a low-risk/high-reward move.

He has never had an AHL season with less than 50 points, and in the one season he was given an extended chance at the NHL level he put up 8 points in 16 games along with a +4. He is also used to logging big minutes, a must on a line with Kesler or dare I say it, the Sedins.

So that is my opinion. If the injury bug hits Vancouver in the near future, sign him to a one year contract and see if he can turn it into motivation to get a real chance.

His productions has declined in the last few years, indicating he's losing it. Back when the Wolves were Atlanta's farm team, which was a poor team in a crappy market, Haydar couldn't even make that team, which searched for cheap ELCs. He's one of those guys that has found success in the AHL because it's up to his tempo and game speed. The reverse is true for NHLers, who can perform in a faster league, who may have had secondary roles in the AHL.

Archived