The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best Hockey Movie (per NHL.com poll)

Rovy

No hockey movie will ever be able to provide as many quotable lines as Slapshot! No hockey movie will ever come close. I really liked Miracle in terms of its portrayal of hockey in a more serious sense. I also really liked Mystery, Alaska because I came from a similarly small town.

Didn't mention Goon because I haven't seen it yet.

in order and why...

3) Mystery Alaska; most of why I liked this movie is because of the ending. It would have been easier for the ending to be different, but they went the other direction, and that made the movie that much better because you aren't upset at the outcome at all (at least I wasn't.)

2) Miracle; it's what got me into hockey. Call me a baby, but every time they switch to the audio of the last 10 seconds... I cry.

1) Slap Shot; I think it's actually impossible to play hockey and not think several moments of this movie. I know I'm always yelling at my friends that are goalies; "hey Hanrahan!" when I am near the goal.

If you couldn't vote for Slap Shot, and had to choose NOW which was the best hockey movie, would you choose Mighty Ducks?

You're right, growing up, Mighty Ducks seemed like an awesome movie. But watching it now, and understanding how hockey is SUPPOSED to be, Mighty Ducks is a terrible hockey movie.

That's the point of the thread, is that because Mighty Ducks has been chosen as the best hockey movie, means that there are a lot of hockey fans (at least on the NHL site) that know very little about the sport.

Hockey and auto racing are two sports that Hollywood can't seem to get right, Mighty Ducks is essentially Bad News Bears on ice. I honestly haven't seen Miracle, having endured the actual event and 30+ years of crowing from the US media over one fluke win I have no desire to see Hollywood's version. Slap shot is the most entertaining, along with Mystery Alaska, didn't care much for Youngblood although Eric Nesterenko as the father teaching Rob Lowe to fight was pretty good, anyone spot former NHLer Peter Zezel near the end?

Hockey and auto racing are two sports that Hollywood can't seem to get right, Mighty Ducks is essentially Bad News Bears on ice. I honestly haven't seen Miracle, having endured the actual event and 30+ years of crowing from the US media over one fluke win I have no desire to see Hollywood's version. Slap shot is the most entertaining, along with Mystery Alaska, didn't care much for Youngblood although Eric Nesterenko as the father teaching Rob Lowe to fight was pretty good, anyone spot former NHLer Peter Zezel near the end?

Archived