The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best Hockey Movie (per NHL.com poll)

Rovy

Mighty Ducks was my fav as a kid, but now when I watch it..I have no idea what I was thinking. I was too young for slapshot and only seen bits and pieces of it. So I'll go with the most recent hockey movie and that would be The Goon. Also really like The Rocket and even the Don Cherry 2 part series on CBC was pretty good.

I saw this film in the late 70's in my home town in Scotland. It meant more to people there than in most other places in the UK due to it being a hockey town and home of the Fife Flyers. (they had two sets of brothers in the team at the time)

Dave's a killer..............Dave's a mess! That was the popular catch phrase at the time.

You have to love the Hansons. The film grossed over $28M. Interesting how the film came about and was made.

The original screenplay by Nancy Dowd is based in part on her brother Ned Dowd's experiences playing minor league hockey in the United States in the 1970s, during which time violence, especially in the low minors, was the selling point of the game.

Dowd was living in Los Angeles when she got a call from her brother Ned, a member of the Johnstown Jets hockey team. Her brother gave her the bad news that the team was for sale.[2] Dowd moved to the area and was inspired to write Slap Shot. It was filmed in Johnstown, Pennsylvania; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; central New York (Utica Auditorium and the Onondaga County War Memorial Auditorium inSyracuse).

Nancy Dowd used her brother Ned and a number of his Johnstown Jets teammates in Slap Shot, with Ned Dowd portraying Syracuse goon "Ogie Ogilthorpe." He later used the role to launch a career as a Hollywood character actor, an assistant director and eventually a line producer. The characters of the "Hanson Brothers" are in fact based on three actual brothers, Jeff, Steve and Jack Carlson, who played with Ned Dowd on the Jets.

Slapshot by a mile. But The Rocket was amazing as well. I loved Youngblood growing up as a kid. Miracle was great too, not as Ra-Ra American as you'd think. Goon was a surprisingly good flick.

Mighty Ducks 1 was great when you're a kid, but my god there's so much wrong about the sport in that movie. Especially D2, where the bggest hockey rivalry was ICELAND!!!!!!

D1, D2, D3 all proved the rules of hockey don't exist.

Penalties are only called to play out a plot. Otherwise, you are allowed to trip, slash, hook and charge your opponents, no problem!

Off-sides are non-existent. Flying-V is an extremely weak strategy that can easily go off-side.

You don't need defense and goaltending in these movies. How Bombay thought Goldberg was a good goalie in two movies is inexplicable. When first introduced about the goalie chick, Bombay says "we already have a goalie, Goldberg". LOL.

Then he friggin benched the deserving goalie chick for the whole movie except at the very end.

A goalie going to the center of the ice equals a penalty - not for Russ the goalie though!

Robertson going off the bench when it wasn't his line should be suspension-worthy in any league.

What else am I missing here?

Archived