The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Statistical Tie

BigRedMachine

And maybe I am a bit abrasive, but I don't live in Vancouver anymore, so fans of other teams are happy to remind me often of the fact We are in the no cup club. And I get a bit tired of canucks fans that seem prepared to accept that.

To your question: a player could. But not if he failed to show up the one time he had a chance to win a Stanley cup. That's why linden is in, and Henrik should not be.

Naslund's number is retired so based on that both Sedin's should be up there after they call it a career. Not to mention Bure, but that's a different argument.

Anyways, Henrik has 2 of the most major awards to his credit and is the franchise's all-time leading scorer, with a SCF appearance like Smyl and Linden. If Naslund is in the rafters with very little to warrant the honor, there should be no question that Henrik should be up there as well, Stanley Cup or not.

A Jersey retirement is for individuals. Jarome Iginla will probably never win a Cup (at least not with Calgary), but I bet anyone you ask will agree that he deserves to have his number retired by the Flames. Even if Gretzky had never won the Cup (which he couldn't have done without his stacked supporting cast), would you say he doesn't deserve a number retirement?

Archived