The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Please stop the diving

canucksnihilist

I have to say I'm awfully surprised with all this Kesler hate-on b*llsh*t since he's come back from his injuries. I think he's been playing acceptionally well so far.

We're 10-4-4 so far, some of you need to take a chill pill. It's amazing what one Canucks game loss can do to this board.

Diving is cheating and I can't stand cheaters... any people who try to lie and fake their way through life, or a hockey game, for that matter. These "professional" players are watched by kids. I go to our local rinks to watch kids I teach and, man, is it getting bad... kids flopping on the ice all over the place. The worst part of it all are the coaches and parents who then berate the inexperienced officials when they don't make the "correct" call. Pathetic.

I am a High School soccer coach and when my kids dive, trash talk and act unsportingly, I yank them and sit their sorry asses on the bench. I wan't them to play as absolutely physically as possible, within the laws of the game, but, when they play outside the laws, they don't play any more that match.

Im not gonna lie, I hate that kesler & burrows always try to sell calls because it's things like that that make other teams hate us. I dont like having everyone beat up on me because im a die hard fan of the canucks! Both of them need to smarten up because our rep is only getting worse.

Kesler needs to quit trying to draw penalties because all the refs know to look out for him and are going to call him for the littlest things.

I agree with one of the people above me: I like the 41 goal scorer kesler better than the irresponsible diver.

Am I the only one who think it's part of the game? At least with the ways things are now.

Anyone remember Hank bulldozing off Dustin Brown earlier this year? No joke, Hank sent Dustin Brown flying...

And most recently, can't remember who it was, but Burrows got burned TWICE during the last Dallas game..

Hockey is so fast, some dives will sell, some will get caught.

Kesler doesn't necessarily have to stop... he just needs to get better at it, lol..

Am I the only one who think it's part of the game? At least with the ways things are now.

Anyone remember Hank bulldozing off Dustin Brown earlier this year? No joke, Hank sent Dustin Brown flying...

And most recently, can't remember who it was, but Burrows got burned TWICE during the last Dallas game..

Hockey is so fast, some dives will sell, some will get caught.

Kesler doesn't necessarily have to stop... he just needs to get better at it, lol..

My problem with Kesler's diving is that legitimate calls are not being made. In that Detroit game there were three legitimate penalties that weren't called simply because it was Kesler involved. It happens to Burrows as well but not to the same extent. Once you get that rep as a diver, legitimate penalties start to get ignored. The diving is hurting the team.

Diving is cheating and I can't stand cheaters... any people who try to lie and fake their way through life, or a hockey game, for that matter. These "professional" players are watched by kids. I go to our local rinks to watch kids I teach and, man, is it getting bad... kids flopping on the ice all over the place. The worst part of it all are the coaches and parents who then berate the inexperienced officials when they don't make the "correct" call. Pathetic.

I am a High School soccer coach and when my kids dive, trash talk and act unsportingly, I yank them and sit their sorry asses on the bench. I wan't them to play as absolutely physically as possible, within the laws of the game, but, when they play outside the laws, they don't play any more that match.

oh ffs... Diving isn't cheating any more than tripping is cheating. Get over yourself.

Players dive or embellish all the time; just like they trip, hook, hold, hit from behind, kick pucks in the net, insult guys wives or mothers, try to hurt each other, run goalies, etc etc etc. If that is your focus then you're going to see it everywhere.

You know what's worse than the Canuck players diving?

All the people in this thread whining about it! I watch games from all around the league and it's a problem everywhere. I'm not sure if all this reaction is due to a bad loss to the Wings or if it's cause your ankles are just giving out from hoping on and off the bandwagon.

You c

I had a guy run me from behind Saturday night, head bounced off the glass and everything, a reasonable time after I'd played the puck. I turned around and hooked his foot (while making some friendly comments), not to trip but to keep him close enough so I could fully express my opinion of the hit (obviously cleaning this up somewhat for the boards). He went down like he'd been flying at top speed, and I got the penalty.

Now which of his actions would you presume I felt more disgusted by?

Diving is lame, I agree, but how could it be worse than hooking a guy who is faster than you, or hitting someone when they're vulnerable? Most of the time guys embellish in order to draw attention to a penalty taking place. Obviously certain dives are more ridiculous than others, but no more so than blatant crosschecks or kneeing, etc. Way more important infractions to clean up in the game.

This emphasis on the Canucks diving was a media contrived campaign that focused attention on certain players. The reality is that lots of guys do it, to one degree or another. Like others have said, Kesler (and Henrik imo) are just too obvious about it, so it stands out.

Archived