The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Please stop the diving

canucksnihilist

You know what's worse than the Canuck players diving?

All the people in this thread whining about it! I watch games from all around the league and it's a problem everywhere. I'm not sure if all this reaction is due to a bad loss to the Wings or if it's cause your ankles are just giving out from hoping on and off the bandwagon.

You could make a highlight reel of every team diving if you had nothing better to do with your time. To the person who posted the video from Leafnation.com (or whatever lame site it's from) nice find! Time well spent.

Let's face it! Unless the NHL makes it a huge deterant, it will remain as is. A way to gain an advantage. Simple as that, the honour in this game went the way of the Dodo bird. Stanley Cup champ D.Brown, one of the biggest divers in the league just won a cup. Not condoning it but it's the reality now.

Diving is cheating and I can't stand cheaters... any people who try to lie and fake their way through life, or a hockey game, for that matter. These "professional" players are watched by kids. I go to our local rinks to watch kids I teach and, man, is it getting bad... kids flopping on the ice all over the place. The worst part of it all are the coaches and parents who then berate the inexperienced officials when they don't make the "correct" call. Pathetic.

I am a High School soccer coach and when my kids dive, trash talk and act unsportingly, I yank them and sit their sorry asses on the bench. I wan't them to play as absolutely physically as possible, within the laws of the game, but, when they play outside the laws, they don't play any more that match.

I have noticed that more and more net minders are embellishing in the NHL. It is sickening and can only damage what should be a physical game.

Leadership HAS to come from the GM's and the coaches. The fans should also ridicule cheats no matter who they play for. Over here in the UK I have argued for retrospective punishment, leading to point deductions if players are shown to con the referee.

Clubs who have players who constantly infringe should receive heavy fines and their managers banned from the stadium on match days.

It could easily be stamped out (see rugby union) but there has to be a will to take action from the top down to the grass roots.

People do it all over the NHL. I hear it all the time from Kings fans and how we are big divers. Turn around and mention Douche Brown and all I get is silence. Diving happens, but we need to quit acting like we are the only team that does it out there!

This really shows how truly little a lot of you now about hockey. Good to see most of you form your opinion from Sportscenter at 10:00. A lot of you seem to have a problem determining what a dive is compared to fighting through illegal checks You can only get fouled so many times before you just give up and fall down. Kesler looks like he's diving because he's a target, he's feisty, he's not overly big and he's fast. All those things make it looks melodramatic when he falls but he is no worse than half of the league. Everyone goes down from time to time when they get hit, style shouldn't matter.

Of course Sportscenter and The Province are going to call it diving and run stories on it. They hate us!

In all the years I've played this is one of the most subjective calls a ref can make. They usually miss the build up, or the constant hacks before the dive in question. It also calls into question player bias, as some refs don't like certain players. It also calls into question interpretation of the game. Kelser may get calls of a certain ref one game and then have that situation called completely different next game, or differently by a different ref in the same game. Bottom line is the player is not usually diving to be a diver, or to try to gain an unfair advantage, moreso he is diving as a response to a play in which they believe a penalty is warranted.

Ultimately these guys just have to stay on their feet and play the game, but to suggest that they are blatanty cheating, and knowingly hurting the team is idiotic.

This really shows how truly little a lot of you now about hockey. Good to see most of you form your opinion from Sportscenter at 10:00. A lot of you seem to have a problem determining what a dive is compared to fighting through illegal checks You can only get fouled so many times before you just give up and fall down. Kesler looks like he's diving because he's a target, he's feisty, he's not overly big and he's fast. All those things make it looks melodramatic when he falls but he is no worse than half of the league. Everyone goes down when they get hit, style shouldn't matter.

Of course Sportscenter and The Province are going to call it diving and run stories on it. They hate us!

In all the years I've played this is one of the most subjective calls a ref can make. They usually miss the build up, or the constant hacks before the dive in question. It also calls into question player bias, as some refs don't like certain players. It also calls into question interpretation of the game. Kelser may get calls of a certain ref one game and then have that situation called completely different next game, or differently by a different ref in the same game. Bottom line is the player is not usually diving to be a diver, or to try to gain an unfair advantage, moreso he is diving as a response to a play in which they believe a penalty is warranted.

Ultimately these guys just have to stay on their feet and play the game, but to suggest that they are blatanty cheating, and knowingly hurting the team is idiotic.

What I find frustrating is 2 things.

One is that the players aren't trying to play the game when they dive - giving up the puck and hoping for a call. It just seems like they should be trying to do something like score or set up team mates.

Two is the refs. If they would actually call the penalties then nobody - well fewer - would resort to diving to give them an even up opportunity. Evening up is itself a problem.

It's like players dive when they think they are owed a penalty. And the Canucks are trying to get the refs to call penalties, which pisses them off so they call them the opposite way.... Crazy.

Fixing it ... Probably the refs need replacing or the league needs to get serious like they were a few years ago... Either call everything or call nothing, I'd be ok either way

And it wouldn't matter if we just won a game, I still can't stand the diving...

For every play that looked like a dive but was not there are an equal amount that didn't look like a dive that were so I'm not buying your bull, and I do know hockey play it and coach it actually. He dives to much you can't sugger coat it.

if kes is diving, please stop.

i was thinking something different when i saw him go down so easy. i think he is still hurt or just a little gun shy of getting re injured.

hear me out. not only has he gone down easy when someone hooks him around the waist. occasionally he has gotten up slowly when twisting akwardly just receiving a pass.

if that is the case, play him less. let him get back slowly.

we proved we dont need him in the lineup to win games. so take advantage of the fact we have depth. dont push him too hard and he may be in good shape for the playoffs.

Diving is cheating and I can't stand cheaters... any people who try to lie and fake their way through life, or a hockey game, for that matter. These "professional" players are watched by kids. I go to our local rinks to watch kids I teach and, man, is it getting bad... kids flopping on the ice all over the place. The worst part of it all are the coaches and parents who then berate the inexperienced officials when they don't make the "correct" call. Pathetic.

I am a High School soccer coach and when my kids dive, trash talk and act unsportingly, I yank them and sit their sorry asses on the bench. I wan't them to play as absolutely physically as possible, within the laws of the game, but, when they play outside the laws, they don't play any more that match.

Archived