107 replies to this topic

#61 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

I'm not a fan of the diving either. Kes doesn't need to do that, he's a better player than that. He would be an even better player if he would focus on making crisp passes and helping his teammates to be better players. He now has a reputation of being one of the worst divers in the league. The refs feel manipulated by him, so even if it's a real hit, Kes doesn't draw the penalty. It's of no value anymore, in fact, it's a hindrance, as other players can now hit Kes without getting 2 mins in the penalty box.

#62 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Do you watch as many Bruins games as Canuck games to actually make that assessment, or just showing your homeristic paranoia?

#63 *VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

*VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,446 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

Do you watch as many Bruins games as Canuck games to actually make that assessment, or just showing your homeristic paranoia?

I actually do watch most teams games during the season (benefits of having center ice)

Regardless if I do or don't I can see Marchand diving all over the place just watching highlights

Posted Image

^Vintage Canuck^

CDC STHS Hockey League Commissioner

CDC STHS Tampa Bay Lightning

#64 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

I'm going to get flamed again, but, I feel that diving is a moral / values issue. It has everything to do with our win-at-all-costs mentality. We do what it takes to help our team win, including diving.

I played sports at a high level for years growing up in Vancouver and I can honestly say that I never took a dive up until I stopped playing competitively at 31. Not once. I did many other things (chippy play, trash talking, threatening, fighting) that were done to intentionally get players off of their game, but, I never dove. The decisions I made often turned into choices that hurt the team instead of helping it, much like the divers we see in professional sports, especially football and hockey.

I openly admit that I am a hypocrite because I cheated to gain an advantage, which, IMO, is wrong, immoral and lacking in values and character. When we "play" sports, we are consumed by them... at any level. For that 60 or 90 minute period, everything that we do is based on being better than the opponent. There must be a gene for competitiveness somewhere in our DNA.

15 years separated from my "retirement" from competitive sport has allowed me to see the errors I made during my playing career. Now, as a coach, I try to take my experiences, both positive and negative, and share them with my players. I'd like to think this is growth in me as a human being and as an athlete, but, I can pretty much guarantee that if I ever step back on a playing field again, I will resort back to my ultra-competitive, cheating ways to help my team gain any advantage it can. Why?

So we can win.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#65 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2m4cFe_s50

at least marchand is better at is
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#66 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

So we can win.

You know, you are quickly becoming one of my favorite posters on CDC. Your posts are thought out, intelligent, reasonable, not over winded but stuffed full of information, and you don't mini mod and call out everyone for their dumb comments. You have gotten more then a couple +1s from me today.

#67 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

You know, you are quickly becoming one of my favorite posters on CDC. Your posts are thought out, intelligent, reasonable, not over winded but stuffed full of information, and you don't mini mod and call out everyone for their dumb comments. You have gotten more then a couple +1s from me today.

Thanks, Kass.

I can get a little sardonic, at times, and I speak my mind. I try to be honest.

Thanks for the +'s!

::D

#68 CrazyAL

CrazyAL

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

There's a sniper in the building, he's dodging bullets give him a break already.

#69 whcanuck

whcanuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

Diving is seriously the only way Vancouver (and a lot of other teams) can draw penalties, maybe you guys disagree with that, but especially in the playoffs, and now even in the regular season, the referees definitely have a personal problem with the Canucks. It's b.s., every team in the league dives. I agree Kesler has gone a little over the top with it sometimes, but the guy always gives his best effort, even if the stat sheet doesn't always have his name all over it. I have a high amount of respect for Ryan Kesler and the skill and determination which he plays the game. The Canucks are way too unfairly maligned for this (thank you CBC!). The media convinced everyone Vancouver is the most unsportsmanlike team in the history of professional sports. Canucks rule! They play hard, they skate hard and they entertain with speed and creativity! 80 percent of the NHL can't claim the latter! Go Canucks!

#70 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

Kesler is a big, strong, fast player. He does not need to dive to get the calls. Just play hard.

#71 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

at least marchand is better at is

Yeah he scored 10s on all his dives

#72 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

I hate diving by any team. Also, I think just because other teams do, it does not make it ok for the Canucks to.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#73 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

One of these days when I go to a Canucks game, I am going to wear my Canucks jersey and have a sign that says. "Kesler, please stop diving, and play the game".

Of go with four buddies, each with an olympic diving score sign:
9.5 - 9.2 - 10 - 10 - 9.7

Kesler is a selfish player and the Canucks were playing much better without him. That kind of says something doesn't it?

Ship him out.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 26 February 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#74 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,482 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

You missed my point I was trying to say players that look like they are diving a lot are diving a lot.

Okay. I don't know for sure so you may be right. All I know is that there are a lot of elements that go into this call. I for one as a lighter player with speed get picked on and pushed around all game long. Sometimes the ref appears to be so blind or brain dead that you don't have any options left. I guess it is an act of frustration and lack of better options. Sometimes you got to let the ref know, hey buddy I'm getting fricking mauled over here.

Of course most every coach will tell you that you have to be bigger than that and just keep fighting through the checks and never go down. However, I've also been begged by coaches to just go down when you are hacked already because its not accomplishing anything by proving I can continually stay on my feet when the puck is on another guys stick 50 feet away.

All in all I hate the concept of diving to cheat but hockey is a fast paced, physical game, where players spend half the game picking themselves off the ice. Maybe there should be a 2 minute penalty for falling down because other than that it seems to me that you're basically in a physical battle that could result in you falling down as soon as you step on the ice. I truly believe the style of Kesler's play makes it look worse than it is. I guess he can learn not to try to fight through stuff, as soon as he feels some pressure just stop skating and make sure he doens't fall over and look like he's diving, becasue it's not if you win or you lose, it's how good you look right?
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#75 Viking13

Viking13

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

What irks me is when it always seems to be the ref that's on the complete other side of the rink that calls a penalty and the one standing right there calls nothing... I'm not talking about diving just all penalty calls in general... It boils my blood!!! The refs have been awful at times so far this season!!! Two phantom calls against Detroit ended up giving the Wings momentum and we paid for them!!! The "goaltender interference" call on Kassian was a joke as well as the Weise "hit to the head" call!!! Effin' joke!!!
Bush league fans have made Luongo the scapegoat for Vancouver's shortfall... Typical...

#76 goal-ghost

goal-ghost

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Here are some of our best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urIlWcdT6i4

that's really painful to watch.
Posted Image

#77 FutureNHLGm

FutureNHLGm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

Kesler needs to be traded. Easy as that. Patrice Bergeron for Ryan Kesler straight up. Done and Done.

#78 Viking13

Viking13

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

My problem with Kesler's diving is that legitimate calls are not being made. In that Detroit game there were three legitimate penalties that weren't called simply because it was Kesler involved. It happens to Burrows as well but not to the same extent. Once you get that rep as a diver, legitimate penalties start to get ignored. The diving is hurting the team.

I agree with this opinion... The only thing I don't fully understand (mostly because I don't watch other teams to the extent that I watch Vancouver) is are we the only team that has players with reputations?? I could have jumped through my TV on Sunday watching the game in Detroit!!! I'm so tired of the refs playing the role in the games the way they do now!!! I find it SOOO frustrating!!! Hey don't get me wrong, a penalty is a penalty but the bull crap phantom calls are killing me!!!
Bush league fans have made Luongo the scapegoat for Vancouver's shortfall... Typical...

#79 Sea2Sky Country

Sea2Sky Country

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

someone on every team dives. and sometimes diving can be very effective. remember the dallas(?) game? where burrows was thrown in the box twice while we were on the power play ... that was because of diving. well-timed, well-executed diving.

the problem with kesler is, he is not a very good (stealthy) diver. and he seems to do it at the worst possible times. and now that he has a reputation for being a poor diver, he rarely gets the calls going his ways. so yes, he should give it a rest, until the appropriate time comes around ...

#80 Skate or Don't

Skate or Don't

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

kesler is a guy that used to get mugged a lot. i mean opposing players used to kick the crap out of him. back then he didn't get all the calls because he was a nobody. now he's a somebody and every time he's hit he glares and chirps the refs as if to say "dont you know who i am??"

dude needs to stfu and play hockey
so taco

#81 M A K A V E L I 96

M A K A V E L I 96

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

The really badly done dives add some nice comic relief.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#82 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

Posted Image

that was obviously the tap of death

#83 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

Posted Image

It's funny how this gif happens to be the Islanders now that Mr. FutureNHLGm is posting frequently on our forums. He is an Executive Assistant to Garth Snow, you know. Wonder what he thinks of Boyes' dive?

:lol:

Edited by Hugemanskost, 26 February 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#84 Kryten

Kryten

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,609 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

Posted Image

Hmmmmmmmm......... Playing against the Pens? Someone must have blamed Cooke for this somehow. A phantom skate stab from out of frame sounds about right.
Posted Image

#85 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

Kesler = boy who cried wolf one too many times.

When the big bad wolf shows up (that's another nursery story isn't it?...sorry for that), no one is going to come to his aid. It's too bad, because there are times when he's legitimately held, hooked, tripped.

We're still a better team with him in the line up...so in spite of his short comings, I'd rather have him on the Canucks active roster than on the LTIR or another team's roster. Plus the dude can bag groceries and serve up a mean cup of joe.

#86 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

On one hand, i can see why players like Kesler, embellish calls when it seems that they arnt being called. Falling down when someone is hooking, holding or cross checking in hopes to catch the refs attention happens all the time. And i wouldnt call it diving or cheating. If the other player wasn't commiting an infraction there would be nothing to embellish. Grabbing someone else's stick and hitting your self in the face is cheating. When an elbow almost hits you and your head flys back like Jose Bautista wound up and hit it is cheating or diving. But having said all that, all players who play on the Canucks, better learn to keep playing till the whistle is blown. Especially in the playoffs. Assume you are not getting the call and keep going hard. Imagine all the good plays nulified by a player who went down but has the strenght and balance to stay up and continue the play.

#87 gumshoe242

gumshoe242

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

Every team has a player who's gone to diving school. its part of the game trying to draw penalties. The way refs calls games against us, you almost always have to over exaggerate or the canucks will never get a power play.

And the reason the refs won't call the penalties for us? Ahhh, yes... the diving.

#88 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

diving is weak.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#89 PLOGUE

PLOGUE

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

How about we stop biting fingers first

Put your finger in my mouth I bite that crap off. You learn a valuable lesson
QUOTE (ephysdad @ Oct 26 2008, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or then of course there's always the Ferry

Also,
I'm putting together a list of the criteria to be a "real" Canuck's fan. So far I have this:

1. I cheer for the Canucks, whatever happens.
2. I never say anything bad about the Canucks.
3. I know the difference between "real" fans and posers just by how they post on the CDC or where they sit at GM Place.
4. I wouldn't dream of leaving a game before it ended, even if it meant missing a train, ferry or a threesome with the wife and her hot best friend?
5. I make 10+ posts a day and I have over 10,000 posts on the CDC, so my Canuck "street-cred" is huge. Go away noob!
6. No one F's with me. I train in MMA. I'm really tough. I'll curb stomp yo' donkey.
7. I make a tonne of $$$$.
8. I'm witty.
9. If it meant missing a game, I wouldn't study for a midterm.
10. I roll with a guy who has a wicked car.
11. I like to post "source?" a lot.

#90 PLOGUE

PLOGUE

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

Dp

Edited by PLOGUE, 26 February 2013 - 06:14 PM.

QUOTE (ephysdad @ Oct 26 2008, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or then of course there's always the Ferry

Also,
I'm putting together a list of the criteria to be a "real" Canuck's fan. So far I have this:

1. I cheer for the Canucks, whatever happens.
2. I never say anything bad about the Canucks.
3. I know the difference between "real" fans and posers just by how they post on the CDC or where they sit at GM Place.
4. I wouldn't dream of leaving a game before it ended, even if it meant missing a train, ferry or a threesome with the wife and her hot best friend?
5. I make 10+ posts a day and I have over 10,000 posts on the CDC, so my Canuck "street-cred" is huge. Go away noob!
6. No one F's with me. I train in MMA. I'm really tough. I'll curb stomp yo' donkey.
7. I make a tonne of $$$$.
8. I'm witty.
9. If it meant missing a game, I wouldn't study for a midterm.
10. I roll with a guy who has a wicked car.
11. I like to post "source?" a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.