The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you think it is time for a political change in B.C.?

Harbinger

Pollsters have scary news for Christy Clark

A couple of numbers in a pair of recent opinion polls should be giving Christy Clark’s Liberals some pre-election nightmares right about now.

No, it’s not the number 16 (percentage points separating the trailing Libs from the leading NDP) or even 31 per cent (Clark’s lowly job-approval rating as premier.)

The scariest stat for the Liberals may be the number of B.C. voters who agree with the statement: "It’s time for a change of government in British Columbia"— 59 per cent.

In contrast, just 24 per cent of voters told pollster Angus Reid that it’s not time for a change and Clark should be re-elected.

This is disturbing news for the Liberals, coming as it does after the government tabled a balanced budget and promised a multibillion-dollar prosperity fund in the recent throne speech. With so many voters still determined to throw them out of office any way, it appears there’s little the Liberals can promise at this point to save their skins.

Not that they could promise much any way. The government had already decided against trying to spend its way to re-election.

To achieve the balanced budget, the government raised taxes, sold public assets and choked off spending across most ministries. There’s no money left to buy voters’ support with campaign promises of new program spending or tax cuts.

It seems many voters have simply decided it’s time for a change, and that can be an extremely powerful force in any election.

It’s why Adrian Dix has promised to repeat the NDP’s campaign slogan at every opportunity: Change for the Better.

The Liberals will counter by trying to increase public fear about how an NDP government would drive the province into the red with

deficit budgets.

But that’s where the other scary polling number comes in for the Liberals, this one courtesy of Ipsos Reid.

The pollster asked voters their opinion of the Liberals’ balanced budget and only 12 per cent said they believed the books are really balanced.

An astonishing 72 per cent said they think the books are cooked and the balanced budget is actually a deficit.

The bottom line: When more than half of voters want a change of government, that’s a big problem for the Liberals.

But when more than two-thirds also think the Liberals are lying about their central re-election pitch, that’s a portent of doom.

Up next for the Liberals: Taxpayer-financed TV commercials bragging about a budget many believe is fudged.

Well, I'm skeptical of the polls to begin with. Their sampling size and pools are fairly small. Which is what led to inaccurate polls in Alberta, Ontario, Quebec ... among other places. American polling firms are more exhaustive.

Regardless of the dumb mistakes that the Liberals make, like any government that is ever in power, they're good for business.

It's not necessarily what the NDP will do, but the fear of that alone. Businesses have no idea what they plan on doing or will do, so more likely then not, the case is true that people will keep $ in their pockets.

So yes, I would be disappointed. I would be less disappointed if it was someone else as the leader of the NDP, i.e.: Mike Farnworth. Dix is a lie and a cheat.

Well, they should start a full slate of attack ads not only on Dix and his past, but also the slate of candidates the NDP are running (most of which are old NDP staff, old candidates etc. not much "change"), and their policies. Attack ads work, just ask Mitt Romney.

It's funny because regardless of your view of her, the team Christy Clark is putting together is very strong. Lots of mayors and councillors in addition to some strong private/public sector individuals.

As a long time Liberal supporter, especially after what the NDP did to this province in the 90's, I'm not convinced Christy is the right person to run this province. But every time I think about the NDP alternative I get sick to my stomach, especially when I see Dix sneer in those commercials, it makes my skin crawl. He is as greasy as they come.

So I say no, it isn't time for a change. Not when the other alternative is DIX and the NDP.

As a long time Liberal supporter, especially after what the NDP did to this province in the 90's, I'm not convinced Christy is the right person to run this province. But every time I think about the NDP alternative I get sick to my stomach, especially when I see Dix sneer in those commercials, it makes my skin crawl. He is as greasy as they come.

So I say no, it isn't time for a change. Not when the other alternative is DIX and the NDP.

That single gaffe shut him down. He had no chance once the public knew his interests would be serving only half the country. Romney had a whole news channel defending him. They ran negative the whole time. If the negative campaigning had worked he would have won this election.

Huh? So did Barack. MSNBC is basically an arm for the Democratic Party. Both parties ran negative. Both candidates ran negative ads against the other. Obama was just far more effective at doing it, as he had more ammo against Romney. - His 47% comments, against bailout etc. If Romney had ammo on Obama, like that, he could have won.

That's why the Liberals should attack Dix for his prominence behind Glen Clark and his memo forgery.

Archived