The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

As it stands right now, Do you think we'll win the Stanley Cup?

Sedinry

Will we win the Stanley Cup with this current team?  

239 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That year was different. That year the Canucks would steamroll teams. Absolutely dominate them. These last two years have been different. They're coasting and lazy. Not the same team by any stretch that we had in 2011. Not even close. We've lost quite a few assets we had on that cup winning team that shouldn't of been let go including Ehrhoff.

We also didn't have Kesler, Booth or Raymond recovering from major injuries and practically zero off season. We didn't have a concussed Daniel heading in to the playoffs etc. IMO we've actually got a BETTER team than we had in 2011 so long as they can stay healthy and all get on the same page and execute to their abilities.

This year we have two new young guys, Kesler and Booth returning from injuries with minimal off season/training and Garrison adapting to a new conference, team, system etc. And with all of that and having the team not play a mostly seamless, well executes 60 minutes yet this year we're still first in our division and third in our conference.

Hardly time to hit the panic button.

We also didn't have Kesler, Booth or Raymond recovering from major injuries and practically zero off season. We didn't have a concussed Daniel heading in to the playoffs etc. IMO we've actually got a BETTER team than we had in 2011 so long as they can stay healthy and all get on the same page and execute to their abilities.

This year we have two new young guys, Kesler and Booth returning from injuries with minimal off season/training and Garrison adapting to a new conference, team, system etc. And with all of that and having the team not play a mostly seamless, well executes 60 minutes yet this year we're still first in our division and third in our conference.

Hardly time to hit the panic button.

My logic dictates this team can contend for the Cup. Absolutely. Unfortunately, my heart says the Canucks had their chance in 2011 and blew it.

I often compare our team to the Ottawa Senators. They were a perennial powerhouse during the few years before the 05/06 lockout and a few years after and finally made the Cup final in '07 but lost to a big, tough, and downright good Ducks team. They looked good to start the next season but somehow the wheels fell off and they've been either a bubble team or basement team since. Now, where the Canucks differ in a positive way is that they haven't exactly fell off the map like the Senators did. I wouldn't say the Canucks aren't actually built any better than that Senators team was, though. The Senators, unfortunately, just had some locker-room troubles with two of their best players in Dany Heatley and Ray Emery. The point remains, however, that both teams had their chance and failed to take it and are realizing that, for several reasons, it's very tough to get back.

It's almost like swimming races. A good initial dive can mean the difference between winning and never really having a shot. If you nail that dive, you're good. If you don't, you can still have a good swim but your competitors will have passed you and have a much better shot at winning. After the Canucks lost their SCF, teams like the Blues and Kings got better and one of them, the Kings, took their shot and won. Hopefully the Canucks can pull a Michael Phelps and catch up to the competition that has gotten ahead of them and still win. They ARE good enough, I'll say that.

My logic dictates this team can contend for the Cup. Absolutely. Unfortunately, my heart says the Canucks had their chance in 2011 and blew it.

I often compare our team to the Ottawa Senators. They were a perennial powerhouse during the few years before the 05/06 lockout and a few years after and finally made the Cup final in '07 but lost to a big, tough, and downright good Ducks team. They looked good to start the next season but somehow the wheels fell off and they've been either a bubble team or basement team since. Now, where the Canucks differ in a positive way is that they haven't exactly fell off the map like the Senators did. I wouldn't say the Canucks aren't actually built any better than that Senators team was, though. The Senators, unfortunately, just had some locker-room troubles with two of their best players in Dany Heatley and Ray Emery. The point remains, however, that both teams had their chance and failed to take it and are realizing that, for several reasons, it's very tough to get back.

It's almost like swimming races. A good initial dive can mean the difference between winning and never really having a shot. If you nail that dive, you're good. If you don't, you can still have a good swim but your competitors will have passed you and have a much better shot at winning. After the Canucks lost their SCF, teams like the Blues and Kings got better and one of them, the Kings, took their shot and won. Hopefully the Canucks can pull a Michael Phelps and catch up to the competition that has gotten ahead of them and still win. They ARE good enough, I'll say that.

the season is still young folks. champions are not crowned until june. as we know ALL TOO WELL, it does not mean a thing how a team performs in the regular season (two presidents trophies, what do we have to show for it?), it comes down to may/june hockey. sure it's nice that the blackhawks are off to such a hot start, but it means nothing to chicago unless they can carry this level of play into the playoffs.

for the canucks, it is a matter of peaking at the right time, it is a long season and the players know that. they know that as long as they progressively improve as we near the playoffs, and are playing their best hockey this spring we have a VERY GOOD chance of winning the Stanley Cup. I disagree with what a lot of you have said on here, I believe that ON PAPER the canucks do have what it takes to win a Cup, it is just a matter of all of our pieces realizing their full potential and playing to their full capabilities.

if these things happen in May and June and NOT in February or March for the canucks...we will win the cup. period.

If we do, it will be on the backs of Kesler, the Sedins and Hamhuis/Edler. They all need to play their absolute best. Nobody wins a cup when their stars disappear.

Hamhuis and the twins are the only ones I have any confidence in right now.

Archived