The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

As it stands right now, Do you think we'll win the Stanley Cup?

Sedinry

Will we win the Stanley Cup with this current team?  

239 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think after the last few seasons of watching NHL Hockey one thing seems to stick out to me, Regular seasons means nothing. Get to the playoffs first, then see where it takes you. The game changes once the playoffs start and its not always the best teams in the regular season who do well. I think if the Canucks can add some depth pieces and perhaps a very potetnt winger, then they have a great shot at winning the cup.

I'm sorry I completely disagree with that. You can't compare regular season games to playoffs. Detroit is exactly the type of team we would break in a series. Chicago is the only team we may have difficulties with but they're firing on all cilinders and we are 1-0-1 against them. There is no way in hell luongo loses a series to crawford or emery.

Edit... only way we lose is if we match up against a goalie who pulls a thomas or quick

Problem is Canucks haven't looked hungry all season. In the playoffs you need to play guts out hard nosed hockey and you have to want it. For some reason after 2011 season ended the Canucks haven't looked near as hungry.

Homestly I don't c hunger as a problem. This team has experienced so much that I have zero doubt the boys will show up one hundred percent during playoffs. They just need to stay healthy and ffs mg needs to get some REAL HELP at the deadline

If you take the question literally, as in the current roster playing exactly the same way in the playoffs as they are now, then obviously not.

If you interpret the question as just applying to the same roster but allowing for a change in performance, then it's still a long-shot to say definitively, "Yes, they will win." simply because of the odds and uncertainty in hockey. But it's realistically possible.

All athletes and teams perform in cycles. Sometimes their timing is off, sometimes they're totally in the zone. LA was in the zone at the right time. If the Canucks are in the zone at the right time even with their current talent level, then I absolutely would say they will win the Cup. Because we've seen what these players are capable of. And I don't think that any other team could beat us in a playoff series IF our players are playing their best. And I don't even mean potential best. I mean up to the level we've already seen them play in the past.

Regular season means less to nothing at the start of a season, especially a short season. There is a reason that they are playing like they have been and taking yoga. Look to the last 10 games of the season and then this thread would mean something. Until then enjoy the ride and support the team and it's current players like a real fan.

And we said it the year before and look what happened! Game 7 of the finals.

This team for the past few years and for the next few years has, is and will be good enough to compete for a cup. Whether they make it there, run in to injuries, hit a hot team, go on a cold streak or any multitude of any other variables will determine whether they win the cup.

The personnel is there. They simply require the will, luck, execution etc for it to happen. As has been pointed out though there are at least ten other teams every year who also have the personnel to win. Only one of those teams will. Every year.

Gillis could have the team Canada roster on the Canucks and still run in to injuries, bad officiating, a hot goalie/team etc, etc and get bounced in the first round. There's more to hockey than simply building the best team you can (which he to this point has).

I would say we have the players to win the Cup right now, on paper. Lots of us have said this already. I'm not keen on our 4th line, however. Volpatti and Weise just don't bring what is needed... Tons of hitting, fighting, when necessary, and tons of agitating. Lappy aside, our 4th line seems almost polite.

I would like to see Vandermeer brought up as a 4th liner. He could also step in and play the occasional shift on defense, if needed. He would be more valuable on a 23 man roster than Alberts is, IMO. Alberts was terrible in the Wings game. He looked lost, slow and unsure. After parts of 4 years in the system, you'd think he'd step in more seamlessly than he did. I would like to see Alberts moved, for anything this side of a stinky equipment bag full of pucks and cones, and see Vandermeer plugged into the 23 man roster.

In all honesty, I would like to have the Canucks now wait until the off-season to move a goalie unless they can get a bonafide roster player in return. Solid goaltending, as we have seen first hand, from Thomas and Quick, wins you championships. Maybe move a keeper at the Draft for a mid to high 1st and prospects / roster player?

The Canucks have the horses. Can AV and MG lead them to a "Cupful" of water?

That year was different. That year the Canucks would steamroll teams. Absolutely dominate them. These last two years have been different. They're coasting and lazy. Not the same team by any stretch that we had in 2011. Not even close. We've lost quite a few assets we had on that cup winning team that shouldn't of been let go including Ehrhoff.

why do people think that they see things that management doesn't see?...gillis and AV both want to win the cup as do the players...if a trade that will improve this team presents it's self, gillis will make it...if gillis wasn't happy with AV, he would make a change....there hockey knowledge any of ours.....we are all allowed to have our opinions, but that doesn't mean we know what we are talking about...i trust gillis and AV to steer this team towards the playoffs...

Archived