Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

As it stands right now, Do you think we'll win the Stanley Cup?

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

Poll: Will we win the Stanley Cup with this current team? (239 member(s) have cast votes)

Will we win the Stanley Cup with this current team?

1. Yes (46 votes [19.25%])

Percentage of vote: 19.25%

2. Voted No (193 votes [80.75%])

Percentage of vote: 80.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

Wouldnt bet on it. We are too easy to play against.

#62 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,116 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

That year was different. That year the Canucks would steamroll teams. Absolutely dominate them. These last two years have been different. They're coasting and lazy. Not the same team by any stretch that we had in 2011. Not even close. We've lost quite a few assets we had on that cup winning team that shouldn't of been let go including Ehrhoff.

We also didn't have Kesler, Booth or Raymond recovering from major injuries and practically zero off season. We didn't have a concussed Daniel heading in to the playoffs etc. IMO we've actually got a BETTER team than we had in 2011 so long as they can stay healthy and all get on the same page and execute to their abilities.

This year we have two new young guys, Kesler and Booth returning from injuries with minimal off season/training and Garrison adapting to a new conference, team, system etc. And with all of that and having the team not play a mostly seamless, well executes 60 minutes yet this year we're still first in our division and third in our conference.

Hardly time to hit the panic button.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#63 FutureNHLGm

FutureNHLGm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

We also didn't have Kesler, Booth or Raymond recovering from major injuries and practically zero off season. We didn't have a concussed Daniel heading in to the playoffs etc. IMO we've actually got a BETTER team than we had in 2011 so long as they can stay healthy and all get on the same page and execute to their abilities.

This year we have two new young guys, Kesler and Booth returning from injuries with minimal off season/training and Garrison adapting to a new conference, team, system etc. And with all of that and having the team not play a mostly seamless, well executes 60 minutes yet this year we're still first in our division and third in our conference.

Yeah. A better team. ON PAPER. That 2011 team had heart. Something the team the last two years hasn't had.

#64 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,572 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

Can't say yes or no, I can say that the Canucks once again are a contender, lots of depth and found ways to win without two top 6 forwards this season. This question will be easier to answer in April
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#65 FutureNHLGm

FutureNHLGm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Canucks haven't played a full 60 minutes since the Boston game in January of last year. Sorry to say it but this team isn't winning a cup unless change is made.

#66 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,572 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

Canucks haven't played a full 60 minutes since the Boston game in January of last year. Sorry to say it but this team isn't winning a cup unless change is made.

Are you kidding me? We had 11 powerplays that game

This is OUR year

#67 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

My logic dictates this team can contend for the Cup. Absolutely. Unfortunately, my heart says the Canucks had their chance in 2011 and blew it.

I often compare our team to the Ottawa Senators. They were a perennial powerhouse during the few years before the 05/06 lockout and a few years after and finally made the Cup final in '07 but lost to a big, tough, and downright good Ducks team. They looked good to start the next season but somehow the wheels fell off and they've been either a bubble team or basement team since. Now, where the Canucks differ in a positive way is that they haven't exactly fell off the map like the Senators did. I wouldn't say the Canucks aren't actually built any better than that Senators team was, though. The Senators, unfortunately, just had some locker-room troubles with two of their best players in Dany Heatley and Ray Emery. The point remains, however, that both teams had their chance and failed to take it and are realizing that, for several reasons, it's very tough to get back.

It's almost like swimming races. A good initial dive can mean the difference between winning and never really having a shot. If you nail that dive, you're good. If you don't, you can still have a good swim but your competitors will have passed you and have a much better shot at winning. After the Canucks lost their SCF, teams like the Blues and Kings got better and one of them, the Kings, took their shot and won. Hopefully the Canucks can pull a Michael Phelps and catch up to the competition that has gotten ahead of them and still win. They ARE good enough, I'll say that.

#68 FutureNHLGm

FutureNHLGm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

My logic dictates this team can contend for the Cup. Absolutely. Unfortunately, my heart says the Canucks had their chance in 2011 and blew it.

I often compare our team to the Ottawa Senators. They were a perennial powerhouse during the few years before the 05/06 lockout and a few years after and finally made the Cup final in '07 but lost to a big, tough, and downright good Ducks team. They looked good to start the next season but somehow the wheels fell off and they've been either a bubble team or basement team since. Now, where the Canucks differ in a positive way is that they haven't exactly fell off the map like the Senators did. I wouldn't say the Canucks aren't actually built any better than that Senators team was, though. The Senators, unfortunately, just had some locker-room troubles with two of their best players in Dany Heatley and Ray Emery. The point remains, however, that both teams had their chance and failed to take it and are realizing that, for several reasons, it's very tough to get back.

It's almost like swimming races. A good initial dive can mean the difference between winning and never really having a shot. If you nail that dive, you're good. If you don't, you can still have a good swim but your competitors will have passed you and have a much better shot at winning. After the Canucks lost their SCF, teams like the Blues and Kings got better and one of them, the Kings, took their shot and won. Hopefully the Canucks can pull a Michael Phelps and catch up to the competition that has gotten ahead of them and still win. They ARE good enough, I'll say that.

Nah, they aren't. Trade for a 3rd line center, a second line winger, and a big shutdown RH Dman. Fire AV, Fire Newell Brown, Fire Bowness,
Hire Lindy Ruff, Hire Baumer, Hire another def coach. Bag skate the defence every time they have a sloppy game and there you go. There's your cup winning Canucks. Until that happens, No Cup for Hanky.

Edited by FutureNHLGm, 26 February 2013 - 01:37 PM.

#69 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,077 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

We have the depth to go all the way, its just a matter of us clicking/getting hot at the right time. But getting a true top six sniper/finisher at around the trade deadline would boost our chances of winning.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#70 FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

without a solid second liner to play with kesler, no.

a guy like hemsky would be perfect. dishes out the puck well, has one of the best stickhandling skillset around the league, fast and creative with the puck.

booth and a second pick for him.
Posted Image

#71 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,789 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Of course not.
Posted Image

#72 BurrsArrows

BurrsArrows

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

Anything can happen

#73 Sea2Sky Country

Sea2Sky Country

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

the season is still young folks. champions are not crowned until june. as we know ALL TOO WELL, it does not mean a thing how a team performs in the regular season (two presidents trophies, what do we have to show for it?), it comes down to may/june hockey. sure it's nice that the blackhawks are off to such a hot start, but it means nothing to chicago unless they can carry this level of play into the playoffs.

for the canucks, it is a matter of peaking at the right time, it is a long season and the players know that. they know that as long as they progressively improve as we near the playoffs, and are playing their best hockey this spring we have a VERY GOOD chance of winning the Stanley Cup. I disagree with what a lot of you have said on here, I believe that ON PAPER the canucks do have what it takes to win a Cup, it is just a matter of all of our pieces realizing their full potential and playing to their full capabilities.

if these things happen in May and June and NOT in February or March for the canucks...we will win the cup. period.

#74 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

If we do, it will be on the backs of Kesler, the Sedins and Hamhuis/Edler. They all need to play their absolute best. Nobody wins a cup when their stars disappear.

Hamhuis and the twins are the only ones I have any confidence in right now.

#75 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

If we do, it will be on the backs of Kesler, the Sedins and Hamhuis/Edler. They all need to play their absolute best. Nobody wins a cup when their stars disappear.

Hamhuis and the twins are the only ones I have any confidence in right now.

Hamhuis?? I have been most disappointed with him out of all the d...
WHATCHU GONNA DO WHEN MILLERMANIA RUNS WILDDDD ON YOU?!

#76 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,572 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

As a diehard fan I believe in my team, sometimes people forget what being a fan is

This is OUR year

#77 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hamhuis?? I have been most disappointed with him out of all the d...

I think Hammer will be okay, Edler is the anti-christ when he goes full retard.

#78 derr12

derr12

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

This times 1000, the whole team was 100% guts and will during that game. some players have shown up and stolen the show since, but I havnt seen canucks team hockey since that game.

#79 derr12

derr12

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

I think Hammer will be okay, Edler is the anti-christ when he goes full retard.

and you should never go full retard.

#80 Rocket Robin

Rocket Robin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

I wish but no unless the hockey gods help us along the way team needs tweaking :sadno:

#81 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

Nah, they aren't. Trade for a 3rd line center, a second line winger, and a big shutdown RH Dman. Fire AV, Fire Newell Brown, Fire Bowness,
Hire Lindy Ruff, Hire Baumer, Hire another def coach. Bag skate the defence every time they have a sloppy game and there you go. There's your cup winning Canucks. Until that happens, No Cup for Hanky.

Simple as that, right?

#82 FutureNHLGm

FutureNHLGm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

Simple as that, right?

Yep. Any player can be had for the right price. We have picks/prospects that can be used to acquire some rental players for a run. So yeah, it is as simple as that.

#83 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

Yep. Any player can be had for the right price. We have picks/prospects that can be used to acquire some rental players for a run. So yeah, it is as simple as that.

So acquire a
- 3rd line center (whos an upgrade on Schroeder)
- A 2nd line player (whos an upgrade on Higgins/Raymond)
- A top-4 RH d-man (whos an upgrade on Garrison/Ballard/Tanev)

Yeah... nice and realistic...

#84 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

as it stands right now, just looking at the west, a series against any of these teams will be challenging

Kings
Blues
Hawks

#85 FutureNHLGm

FutureNHLGm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

So acquire a
- 3rd line center (whos an upgrade on Schroeder)
- A 2nd line player (whos an upgrade on Higgins/Raymond)
- A top-4 RH d-man (whos an upgrade on Garrison/Ballard/Tanev)

Yeah... nice and realistic...

Yep. Still haven't traded Luongo/Schneider.

#86 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

I think we have to add a third line center to make it far this year.

The defensive pieces are there. There should be no excuses for the players or coaches on that end.
We have 2 top goaltenders, no excuses there either.

#87 snucks

snucks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

No. As said in my thread, we need changes.

Most notably the coaches need to be replaced. AV is too one dimensional and He can't adapt as we saw in the Detroit game. When its his turn to act like a coach he lets em down.

#88 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

And demote kesler to what? A five million dollar third line center? The guy just had multiple surgeries... he's one of the best all around defensive forwards in the game ffs. Smh. We need a shake up on d not center

I never said demote him, he should play on second line just not center.

#89 snucks

snucks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

AV should put his fixer Alex Burrows with Kessler and Raymond, and put Kassian with the Sedins till Kessler gets it going again or is traded.

#90 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

Not too optimistic right now but we still have time to get it together.
Posted Image
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 for the signature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.