Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

As it stands right now, Do you think we'll win the Stanley Cup?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
191 replies to this topic

Poll: Will we win the Stanley Cup with this current team? (239 member(s) have cast votes)

Will we win the Stanley Cup with this current team?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 vwnuck

vwnuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Thats too much of an absolute statement.

But this team has just as much of a chance as any other team in the league.

as much as i agree with the above statement, we have not improved our team in 3 years...our top 3 lines are pretty much the same...instead of getting garrison we should have kept salo and went after a goal scorer for the second line..

Posted Image

Posted Image

#92 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,398 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

That year was different. That year the Canucks would steamroll teams. Absolutely dominate them. These last two years have been different. They're coasting and lazy. Not the same team by any stretch that we had in 2011. Not even close. We've lost quite a few assets we had on that cup winning team that shouldn't of been let go including Ehrhoff.

- In the first 18 games of 2010-11, we were 11-4-3, with 55 goals scored.

- This year, in the first 18 games, we're 10-4-4, with 52 goals scored.

Wow...HUGE difference. Not by any stretch similar.

PBF020-Skub.gif

#93 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

as much as i agree with the above statement, we have not improved our team in 3 years...our top 3 lines are pretty much the same...instead of getting garrison we should have kept salo and went after a goal scorer for the second line..

In all fairness, is there much room for improvement in our top 9?
(obviously there always is.. but I mean adding a top-9 player just bumps one of Higgins/Hansen/Raymond to the 4th line)

The last 2 years we were 1st and 5th in goals scored... so its obviously not an area of weakness...

#94 Dildo Faggins

Dildo Faggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Its hard to predict these things because look what happened with LA, but my feeling is that the Canucks are not going to be a contender this year. They havent resolved the 3rd line center issue, they are significantly lacking in secondary scoring, and there are holes in the defense corps. And you can certainly forget about any trades happening with Luongo with a guy like Gillis in charge, unless by some miracle some team happens to offer the earth the sky and everything in between for him. The window of opportunity is closing but Gillis is too content with the status quo to make any needed changes. I'd like to be wrong but I'm not feeling very optimistic.

Edited by Heli_Kopitar, 26 February 2013 - 03:43 PM.

#95 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,398 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Hamhuis?? I have been most disappointed with him out of all the d...

Hamhuis is tied for 15th in D scoring, alongside Ehrhoff, Yandle, Streit...

He's had a few brainfarts, but overall has been fine - and will likely get better as the season progresses.

PBF020-Skub.gif

#96 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

We have a very good team........................but......................we don't have a SC winning team.

Look at the teams that win the SC. They are often less than great in the league but they tend to have 2/3 things. A big bodied group able to outlast the opposition in best of 7's, a genuine sniper or two and a goalie who plays out of his skin in the playoffs.

I reckon we would have been the exception to the rule in 2011, however we will not imo put it all together like that again. Too many of this team know the pain and I doubt whether they would accept it psychologically again.

They performed heroics in 2011 against teams who tried to batter them into submission but they showed a toughness and resilience that this core will never be able to replicate.

Have we ever been fully fit as a team since 2011?............I wonder why.

Edited by Bodee, 26 February 2013 - 03:37 PM.

Kevin.jpg

#97 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

- In the first 18 games of 2010-11, we were 11-4-3, with 55 goals scored.

- This year, in the first 18 games, we're 10-4-4, with 52 goals scored.

Wow...HUGE difference. Not by any stretch similar.

You're right, we'll probably only make it to game 5 of the Finals this year. Drat.

#98 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,609 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Lack the killer instinct to get it done. Doesn't mean the team can't pull it together and get lucky however (not to mention season is far from over and trade deadline hasn't yet been reached).
Posted Image

#99 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Yep. Any player can be had for the right price. We have picks/prospects that can be used to acquire some rental players for a run. So yeah, it is as simple as that.

Give up the future for now, eh? Thank god you work for the Islanders.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#100 Guest_Pinchin_*

Guest_Pinchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

I'd love to put my homer glasses on and say yes but I just don't feel it. We need more scoring depth and our D needs better chemistry.

#101 billabong

billabong

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

No, we are not solid enough from top to bottom...if we had to play a 7 game series against the bruins tomorrow, we would get mangled...again

But I highly highly highly doubt that the team u see now is the same team u will see after the deadline so ask the same question again and see how much the vote changes
Posted Image

#102 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,980 posts

In all fairness, is there much room for improvement in our top 9?
(obviously there always is.. but I mean adding a top-9 player just bumps one of Higgins/Hansen/Raymond to the 4th line)

The last 2 years we were 1st and 5th in goals scored... so its obviously not an area of weakness...

Or zack to the 4th line?

#103 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,940 posts

Nope.
Posted Image

#104 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Or zack to the 4th line?

Or him.

I mean unless we can add either
- A very skilled top line caliber player for our top-6
or
- An under performing top-6 player who can be had for cents on the dollar

It is unlikely we see a change in our top-9.

#105 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80,755 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

Nope, there are teams who look much better than us.

307mg00.jpg

#106 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,243 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

Well, we're a chance?

For what its worth, critique of our D may be unfounded. Our D is amongst the league leaders in goals by a defence. And its considered capable of being a lock down unit. Assessment on any improvement required in a moment.

A few things have to go well. First and foremost; Kesler has to stay healthy and round into form. Take away his goal mouth blunder against Dallas; 4 points in 6 games is not bad. He's played pretty well.

But the barometer of Kesler and the team is not just whether he is going well, it's whether his line mates are also a threat. Not just Kesler getting PP results with the Twins; his LINE has to be dangerous 5 on 5. The Twins will always be dangerous. If Kesler/Booth is going, teams have NO chance of stacking all their big guys on the Twins, because these guys will, well lets say they should with their size and speed, eat small or slow opposition. When Kesler and his line have been hurt, being able to stack the Twins has been successful.

The related question surrounding this, is whether Kassian manages to establish himself on the 2knd line. Or the first, because then Burrows is available for Kess/Booth. Again, the #1 one barometer will remain if our big, fast and nasty 2knd line can draw the match up's which free the Twins to do their thing... Kass is a rookie, we should get veteran depth to lighten up pressure on him and cover the inevitability a RW gets hurt.

2knd; Bieksa and Tanev CANNOT get hurt. Nor rely on Tanev too much as he is small. We're already playing left side D on their off side routinely, and all have shown some vulnerabilities doing so. It is a concern! But I suppose we could go an average 23 play off games without a right D getting hurt???

So our D is a concern! But also, we're not great in getting the puck up ice against pressure. There is a very good chance Kesler will come to form with our line up as is. It has not happened yet, but I think it will. It's not our ability to score from the back end, or defend, it's our D's ability to break pressure. I believe it will be the achilles heel if something goes wrong, and the top priority should we make a move > a right side defender who can rush the puck!

Barring a puck rushing guy; just depth right D or maybe a prospect who has already made it but can chip in.

I think another winger, a depth RW who can snipe at the deadline is an afterthought? It's so obvious, and these type players are routinely available for picks. Think a Kovalev or Boyes. That way, we're still dangerous if we lose Kassian or Hansen. Just count this done, and don't even consider it a move! And consider MG's sanity if it does not happen!

I value concern over centre last. I am not enamoured with Schroeder as a 3rd line centre. But I also think he is getting the job done. And he'll improve. Hansen and Raymond have been effective, Schroeder has been a factor in that, and he has not cost us with mistakes that end up in our net. But perhaps we are better served by getting a depth centre that also plays wing instead of a winger?

So yeah, we could win status quo. But I would like our chances a whole lot better with a puck moving right side D! It would be the signature move of GMMG's career, as these guys are HARD to get! It will cost us Lou! And I DOUBT we go forward without a deadline move for a depth forward!

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 26 February 2013 - 04:47 PM.

#107 turbosprint66

turbosprint66

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

if it wasn't for the north west division the canucks would be hard pressed to even make the playoffs

#108 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

Not at the moment, no. Let's see how they're playing in April and what MG picks up at the deadline.

#109 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

Canucks have been playing like crap since our SCF year.. This shouldn't be a surprise. I mean honestly, they don't even try out there and still somehow manage to win the President's Trophy 2 years in a row.

When the Canucks are at their very best, and everyone is contributing, there is not a single team in the NHL that can beat them. But, the problem is, this rarely ever happens.. So, yeah.

Posted Image

#110 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,945 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Nope, we still have alot of questions in our forward group outside of Kesler/Sedins/Burrows.

Is Booth really a top 6 forward and can stay healthy? Can Raymond continue is play, is JS good enough to be a 3rd line center come playoffs? And thats just the forwards.

Here are some holes where i think we can improve on.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
____ - Kesler - Kassian
Raymond - ____ - Hansen
Higgins - Lappiere - ____

thats a top 6 forward, a 3rd line center and a good 4th line winger. Weise alright but if we can get an upgrade on him good but if not then i'd be fine with Weise.

#111 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,945 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Not at the moment, no. Let's see how they're playing in April and what MG picks up at the deadline.

It's a shortened season, we cant wait till the deadline to make changes in the lineup. See how that went well for us last year?

If were gonna make changes, MG better do it soon so the new players can develop chemisty and learn the system.

Pahlsson just didnt fit in last year and Kassian was 21 years old expected to be the push back the Canucks needed that playoffs..

#112 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

It's a shortened season, we cant wait till the deadline to make changes in the lineup. See how that went well for us last year?

If were gonna make changes, MG better do it soon so the new players can develop chemisty and learn the system.

Pahlsson just didnt fit in last year and Kassian was 21 years old expected to be the push back the Canucks needed that playoffs..

Higgins and Lapierre sure looked good at deadline 2011. Just sayin'.

#113 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,398 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

if it wasn't for the north west division the canucks would be hard pressed to even make the playoffs

Other teams play the NW too, you know.

Anaheim is 5-1 against the NW. The loss - and they have only been beaten in regulation 3 times - was an absolute 5-0 hammering by the Canucks.

San Jose is 5-0 against the NW - good thing, because they're 3-6-3 against the rest of the league.

Chicago has only been beaten 3 times (and even then, not in regulation). But 2 of those were by NW division teams.

Edited by D-Money, 26 February 2013 - 04:56 PM.

PBF020-Skub.gif

#114 panelguy

panelguy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Sorry to say no, we need a player like Shane Doan who can take a team on his back and lead them in the playoffs.
Who do you see stepping up in that important role.

#115 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

Does a pig love crap?
Posted Image

#116 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

Sorry to say no, we need a player like Shane Doan who can take a team on his back and lead them in the playoffs.
Who do you see stepping up in that important role.

Doans 28 points in 55 playoff games don't exactly scream "put the team on your back".

Not saying he wouldn't have been a nice addition... but a guy like Kesler can easily be that guy as we have seen.

#117 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

No, our defence sucks. We have two many left D's and no one that can play with Edler, except maybe Tanev.

We are also missing a second liner. We are also missing someone that can pass the puck on the second line.

We are missing a genuine 3rd line center.

We lack game breakers, and some toughness.

Couldn't have stated it better. Although, I really like what JS brings to this team.
We are missing key pieces. Until that is addressed, I don't think it's likely we win a cup, but that said, anythimg can happen once the playoffs start, and I believe we will make the playoffs.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#118 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

Higgins and Lapierre sure looked good at deadline 2011. Just sayin'.

In a shortened season. 2011 wasn't a shortened season. At least I don't think it was.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#119 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

No, not this year. Get a top tier defencemen then I will say yes. We took a hit losing Ehrhoff. We took another blowing losing Salo, with no legit replacement on our depth. We are a strong team, and one of a contender, but nope. Sorry guys.

It's also going to stay this way until we get ourselves a puch rushing defencemen or a top 2 pairing dman. Or unless Hamhius all of a sudden plays like a Norris trophy dman, but no... we hoooped.

Well, I , I feel very good about this draft, but I, I think, potentially you know were gonna have 3 or 4 NHL players out of this group, ummmm, you know like we are not going to prejudice to were they are from.

-Jim Benning June 27, 2015 shortly after the completion of the 2015 NHL Entry draft in Miami Florida.

#120 1Canuck4Ever1

1Canuck4Ever1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

I wanna say yes. They have looked pretty strong in some games and in others...not. Will be a tough challenge, we will see.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.