The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

As it stands right now, Do you think we'll win the Stanley Cup?

Sedinry

Will we win the Stanley Cup with this current team?  

239 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No, we are not solid enough from top to bottom...if we had to play a 7 game series against the bruins tomorrow, we would get mangled...again

But I highly highly highly doubt that the team u see now is the same team u will see after the deadline so ask the same question again and see how much the vote changes

In all fairness, is there much room for improvement in our top 9?

(obviously there always is.. but I mean adding a top-9 player just bumps one of Higgins/Hansen/Raymond to the 4th line)

The last 2 years we were 1st and 5th in goals scored... so its obviously not an area of weakness...

Well, we're a chance?

For what its worth, critique of our D may be unfounded. Our D is amongst the league leaders in goals by a defence. And its considered capable of being a lock down unit. Assessment on any improvement required in a moment.

A few things have to go well. First and foremost; Kesler has to stay healthy and round into form. Take away his goal mouth blunder against Dallas; 4 points in 6 games is not bad. He's played pretty well.

But the barometer of Kesler and the team is not just whether he is going well, it's whether his line mates are also a threat. Not just Kesler getting PP results with the Twins; his LINE has to be dangerous 5 on 5. The Twins will always be dangerous. If Kesler/Booth is going, teams have NO chance of stacking all their big guys on the Twins, because these guys will, well lets say they should with their size and speed, eat small or slow opposition. When Kesler and his line have been hurt, being able to stack the Twins has been successful.

The related question surrounding this, is whether Kassian manages to establish himself on the 2knd line. Or the first, because then Burrows is available for Kess/Booth. Again, the #1 one barometer will remain if our big, fast and nasty 2knd line can draw the match up's which free the Twins to do their thing... Kass is a rookie, we should get veteran depth to lighten up pressure on him and cover the inevitability a RW gets hurt.

2knd; Bieksa and Tanev CANNOT get hurt. Nor rely on Tanev too much as he is small. We're already playing left side D on their off side routinely, and all have shown some vulnerabilities doing so. It is a concern! But I suppose we could go an average 23 play off games without a right D getting hurt???

So our D is a concern! But also, we're not great in getting the puck up ice against pressure. There is a very good chance Kesler will come to form with our line up as is. It has not happened yet, but I think it will. It's not our ability to score from the back end, or defend, it's our D's ability to break pressure. I believe it will be the achilles heel if something goes wrong, and the top priority should we make a move > a right side defender who can rush the puck!

Barring a puck rushing guy; just depth right D or maybe a prospect who has already made it but can chip in.

I think another winger, a depth RW who can snipe at the deadline is an afterthought? It's so obvious, and these type players are routinely available for picks. Think a Kovalev or Boyes. That way, we're still dangerous if we lose Kassian or Hansen. Just count this done, and don't even consider it a move! And consider MG's sanity if it does not happen!

I value concern over centre last. I am not enamoured with Schroeder as a 3rd line centre. But I also think he is getting the job done. And he'll improve. Hansen and Raymond have been effective, Schroeder has been a factor in that, and he has not cost us with mistakes that end up in our net. But perhaps we are better served by getting a depth centre that also plays wing instead of a winger?

So yeah, we could win status quo. But I would like our chances a whole lot better with a puck moving right side D! It would be the signature move of GMMG's career, as these guys are HARD to get! It will cost us Lou! And I DOUBT we go forward without a deadline move for a depth forward!

Canucks have been playing like crap since our SCF year.. This shouldn't be a surprise. I mean honestly, they don't even try out there and still somehow manage to win the President's Trophy 2 years in a row.

When the Canucks are at their very best, and everyone is contributing, there is not a single team in the NHL that can beat them. But, the problem is, this rarely ever happens.. So, yeah.

Nope, we still have alot of questions in our forward group outside of Kesler/Sedins/Burrows.

Is Booth really a top 6 forward and can stay healthy? Can Raymond continue is play, is JS good enough to be a 3rd line center come playoffs? And thats just the forwards.

Here are some holes where i think we can improve on.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

____ - Kesler - Kassian

Raymond - ____ - Hansen

Higgins - Lappiere - ____

thats a top 6 forward, a 3rd line center and a good 4th line winger. Weise alright but if we can get an upgrade on him good but if not then i'd be fine with Weise.

It's a shortened season, we cant wait till the deadline to make changes in the lineup. See how that went well for us last year?

If were gonna make changes, MG better do it soon so the new players can develop chemisty and learn the system.

Pahlsson just didnt fit in last year and Kassian was 21 years old expected to be the push back the Canucks needed that playoffs..

No, our defence sucks. We have two many left D's and no one that can play with Edler, except maybe Tanev.

We are also missing a second liner. We are also missing someone that can pass the puck on the second line.

We are missing a genuine 3rd line center.

We lack game breakers, and some toughness.

No, not this year. Get a top tier defencemen then I will say yes. We took a hit losing Ehrhoff. We took another blowing losing Salo, with no legit replacement on our depth. We are a strong team, and one of a contender, but nope. Sorry guys.

It's also going to stay this way until we get ourselves a puch rushing defencemen or a top 2 pairing dman. Or unless Hamhius all of a sudden plays like a Norris trophy dman, but no... we hoooped.

Archived