Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

As it stands right now, Do you think we'll win the Stanley Cup?

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

Poll: Will we win the Stanley Cup with this current team? (239 member(s) have cast votes)

Will we win the Stanley Cup with this current team?

1. Yes (46 votes [19.25%])

Percentage of vote: 19.25%

2. Voted No (193 votes [80.75%])

Percentage of vote: 80.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

As long as Alain Vigneault is the head coach and Alex Edler is considered the Canuck's top defenseman, we will never win the Stanley Cup.
Posted Image

#152 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

Kesler arguably did this vs Nashville. Trotz called it one of the most dominating performances he's witnessed.

.....Kesler was also Selke winner and Selke runner up......problem with this: It was all our yesterdays.
Everyone needs to fast forward to 2013 where none of this is relevant,unless a trade is in the offing.

#153 Toni Zamboni

Toni Zamboni

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,621 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

at this point last year, i wouldnt have guessed LA was gonna win the stanley cup.
..so i would have to say anything is possible and we could win the cup.

#154 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,727 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

Kesler has had two surgeries since, both on fairly important parts of his body. He seems to need some kind of surgery every year now. It's not like he's going to be 100% after each one, especially with being an athlete. I think that was pretty obvious last year where he looked like a shell of his former self. Not to mention his attitude has since gone down the toilet and he's got a reputation for diving on top of thinking he's the best player ever and tries to do too much himself now.

#155 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

well 10 wins and 9 losses after 19 games, i don't know, does that put as a cup contender??

#156 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

We can forget about a cup if we can't even beat a lacklustre Phoenix team at home
Posted Image

#157 Sedinry

Sedinry

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

when was the last time a piece of paper won a hockey game?

LA Kings last season. Played crapty all year, but on paper they were the team to beat. Guess what, turns out they were the team to beat.

They were the team to beat before they signed Jeff Carter.

#158 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

LA Kings last season. Played crapty all year, but on paper they were the team to beat. Guess what, turns out they were the team to beat.

They were the team to beat before they signed Jeff Carter.

You just proved his point right and yours wrong. You don't need a cup winning team on paper, but you do need one to show up in the playoffs. That's the LA Kings
Posted Image

#159 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

.....Kesler was also Selke winner and Selke runner up......problem with this: It was all our yesterdays.
Everyone needs to fast forward to 2013 where none of this is relevant,unless a trade is in the offing.

Of course. Which is why I said this team won't win. They're worse now than the last couple seasons. This season WILL be a dud unless the twins, more importantly than anyone else, really start to pick up their games and become better than point per game players again. We need that to be a legitimate contender.
Posted Image

#160 UFTcan

UFTcan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

We aren't fit enough to sniff Lord Stanley's Jock Strap.

#161 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

L.A kings gave up a lot to assemble the team that bareley made the playoffs but won the Stanley cup.

They forked out Brayden Schenn (5th overall pick) and Wayne Simmons for Mike Richards
They forked out a 1st round pick in 2011 and Colten Teubert (1st round pick back in 2008) for none other then Dustin Penner.
They forked out Jack Johnson, and a 1st round pick next year, for Jeff Carter

In total they forked out 4 1st round picks and 2 roster players to get those players. Not sure what is out there right now. But wouldn't mind seeing Gillis do something crazy.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#162 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

No, Get a top 6 guy. A d-man and get rid of a goalie (should be Schneider imo). Also AV needs to go. He's been here too long- proven he can't take it all the way.

Sick of being exposed every game defensively.
Posted Image

#163 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:12 AM

Shockingly, I'm looking at MG,

-AGAIN, STILL Kesler needs a compatible top 6 passing winger (s)

-AGAIN, STILL, need a scoring/shutdown 3rd line center.

-Our D is unstable. We never truly replaced the points we lost through Ehrhoff and Salo. Saying Edler would cover for the loss of
Ehrhoff was rediculous. Garrison just doesn't look like a reliable top notch D right now, he might be in the future, but when?

-Goalie sideshow is getting old, trade one already, you cant go wrong with either of them. they will both have their off days.

I've been a proud supporter of MG for a while, but right now my support is faltering. Many recent trades and signings haven't produced, if he has some balls which I know he does, he will make some bold moves to jump start this team for the playoffs. This team is losing its fire.

Edited by hsedin33, 27 February 2013 - 01:40 AM.

#164 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:57 AM

well 10 wins and 9 losses after 19 games, i don't know, does that put as a cup contender??

10-5-4 (but yeah, lets just say 10-9 to make our record seem worse).

Honestly, its been 2 bad games. Relax.

#165 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:09 AM

As of half way through last season, would you have thought the Kings would win the Cup?

The Canucks have a better chance than most, but I certainly wouldn't wager any serious money on it happening.

They replaced their coach and all of a sudden, productivity went up...

things that make you go hmmm.......

#166 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

Technically an overtime loss is still a loss. You could say we have a 52% win rate or that we have won 63% of the points available thus far. Either aren't that pretty. When looking at the standings, I can safely say we are one-two more losses away from being at risk of being lost in the group of teams fighting for a playoff spot. Our upcoming schedule doesn't look too bad but that Minnesota game is going to be an interesting one if we don't start winning again.

Edited by hsedin33, 27 February 2013 - 02:14 AM.

#167 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

2 bad games???

We are 3-3-3 against playoff teams where our losses were 7-3, 4-1 and 8-3 while we barely squeaked out 2 of our wins (shootout win over Chi and a 1-0 over Nashville).

Out of our 3 OT/Shootout losses, we were absolutely man handled by Chicago where Schneids stood on his head.

So I would say that the 3-3-3 record actually makes us look better than we are,

#168 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

I get the feeling that this will be AV's final year, unless the team is able to bring the Cup back to Vancouver.

#169 janisahockeynut

janisahockeynut

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:22 AM

To answer the first question.............no not if they are playing like this, but if that changes, with a few adjustments, as good of shot as any.

# 1. Kes turn back into the prwmier checking centre in the league. Put Kesler Kassian Burrows together and change their duties, play them again the number one line and make everyone work for itl Take the #2 line status off them, My bet is they score more goals than their opposition, even now. Get Kesler back to basics.
#2. Put Kassian up with Hank and Henry, at least until Jensens available ( Jensen needs a passer, a great passer, he will do the rest)( kESSLER IS NOT!)
#3. Put Boothe with Schroeder and Raymond
#4, Put Weise Lappy AND kASSIAN TOGETHER, after Jensen gets here,,,,,,,,,,,AND CONSIDER UP GRADING WEISE.....LOVE HIS HEART, NOT HIS SIZE
#5 Nothing too dramatic, need a large tough stay at home d-man capable, of playing 20 minutes per
#6 give the goalies a night off type of jester..........no practice or something.........just do it!
#7 FIRE THE SPECIAL TEAMS COACHES QUICK,,,,,,,,,,,,BROWN AND BOWNESS, both special team suck big time.
#8 Rip into the Media and the NHL for the officiateing.....it's be brutle MG jobs

#170 Dildo Faggins

Dildo Faggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:37 AM

Not at the moment, no. Let's see how they're playing in April and what MG picks up at the deadline.

A couple of more depth players of Barker's calibre. lol.

#171 MikeGillis58

MikeGillis58

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,440 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:59 AM

The Canucks need to trade either Cory Schneider or Roberto Luongo for another top 6 forward or a play making defensemen. This team does not have the depth it had back in 2011 during their run to the Stanley Cup Finals.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#172 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:38 AM

L.A kings gave up a lot to assemble the team that bareley made the playoffs but won the Stanley cup.

They forked out Brayden Schenn (5th overall pick) and Wayne Simmons for Mike Richards
They forked out a 1st round pick in 2011 and Colten Teubert (1st round pick back in 2008) for none other then Dustin Penner.
They forked out Jack Johnson, and a 1st round pick next year, for Jeff Carter

In total they forked out 4 1st round picks and 2 roster players to get those players. Not sure what is out there right now. But wouldn't mind seeing Gillis do something crazy.

That's the point though.........it's NOT crazy. It's a GM seeing what his team needs and using his judgement to get it.
I constantly say on here that I like GM in most of the things he does but he "loses focus" Not only that but he thinks of this team more like a family than a set of players designed for one purpose.

He seems unable to prioritise and make the deals. He decides instead on "projects"
I said in my own thread a couple of weeks back that losing Salo for a guy like Garrison was a total loss of focus. Salo was good for 2 more years and his chemistry with Edler was huge.

We brought in Vandermeer......mark one up for MG. A tough guy who is also a decent player. Garrison and the cap he cost was a disaster for us because he didn't improve in the one way that would have made it a good move. He doesn't have a nasty pushback in his game. I now also think his shot is greatly inferior to Sami's.

He AND his scouts have had 2 years to address our weaknesses and imo he has failed miserably. That is MG's fault not AV's.
However AV is also losing the plot with all the chopping and changing he is ruining any chance of this team getting it's systems and chemistry in place for Stanley.
He needs to give up the drawing names out a hat and instead give his lines more practice to solidify.(the lines we all know should be set)

Ballard with Tanev
Edler with Garrison (if it is not working give them more practice or fire MG........he must take responsibility. Garrison was supposed to be a like for like upgrade for Salo)
Hamhuis and Bieksa. (I know Bieksa is injured but AV was messing them up even before he was injured)

Our 2nd line is a mess. We haven't had a 2nd line since the 2010-11 playoffs. Instead this team has leant far more than it should on the Sedins and the point production of our D.

This one factor has had a knock on effect on all the other lines.
We don't seem to know where Kassian should play. I think he should be up with the Sedins and left there to learn, irrespective of when his form dips.
Booth, I'm sorry but he has no upside for me and replacing Hansen with Booth has effectively killed the 3rd line. It was a bad trade by MG as far as I'm concerned. It was another Sami trade........we should have kept Sammy for another year and then cleared the decks (I said that at the time too)

I'm not critical because we are losing (obviously I'm not happy) but because we constantly end up no further forward (in fact we are regressing) due to a lack of imagination, ruthlessness, judgement and focus on MG'S part.

Edited by Bodee, 27 February 2013 - 09:56 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#173 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:55 AM

Will we?...thats such an absolute quesiton.
Could we?....Absolutely, yes.

You can only do so much to 'build' a cup winning team, the rest is played out on the ice.
There are many variables that determine playoff success.

This team is good enough to win the cup.
Some of you folks are over-critical. Give it a rest.

#174 Canuck or Die

Canuck or Die

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:05 AM

Yes, as long as someone lights a fire under there ass.
EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We WILL be drinking from Lord Stanley's Cup soon, Canucks Nation!

Posted Image

#175 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,020 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

As it stands right now, do you think we'll win another game?

would be a more appropriate question...
Posted Image
Posted Image

#176 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

Team has looked disorganized and disinterested lately. Hope they get it together.
Posted Image

#177 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

what do you mean let's just say 10-9 to make it worse? If you spit the losses by category then spit the wins too. The point is they won 10 times and lost 9 times. Some of those losses were in regulation, some in OT and some in Shoot out, same with the losses. The standings separate the losses but not the wins but that's just to fool the fans that are too stupid to know better. Its' like Chicago is undefeated this year some people say- what a joke, the canucks beat them. Sure they have not lost in regulation, but then let's call it that. A loss is loss, does baseball or football or basketball separate the OT losses?

#178 Ginu

Ginu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

Cant say I'm very optimistic about getting to the cup, however there is still time and trade deadline... hopefully MG gets some players which can boost this team up a bit and everything is possible.

Also I dont like our D, they need to be better, way better.
Posted Image

#179 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

Cant say I'm very optimistic about getting to the cup, however there is still time and trade deadline... hopefully MG gets some players which can boost this team up a bit and everything is possible.

Also I dont like our D, they need to be better, way better.

well let's see what we get for Luongo. A front line player and a top prospect? more? less?

#180 NUCKS4CUP 28

NUCKS4CUP 28

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

No, and we have quite a bit wrong with us.

We're building our toughness, but we don't have a single elite pure sniper, we don't have a pure #1 D-Man, and our D Core is severely overrated to begin with.

One of the goalies need to go. Which one? Whoever brings us the most in return.
Posted Image

Believe in bLUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.